What would you do during a "gap year"?

Wondering if anyone else out here is also in this dilemma. I've graduated. I do have interests outside the medical field that I am currently pursuing part-time, but I've already applied this cycle and am in the waiting process. 

My first instinct was to find a part-time job in the sciences to keep my medical knowledge and clinical experience fresh, but it's at the point where I can't commit a full-year because there are programs I applied to that may start in January. What would you do? Let potential employers know your timeline or not?

I'm also curious to see different takes on the gap year. :) The sky's the limit!

Work hard for 9 months (at whatever) and go on an extended vacation for the last 2-3 months.  Seriously.  You will have the rest of your life to accumulate clinical experience and gain medical knowledge.  The opportunities to travel, see the world, sleep in and experience adventures are truly fleeting.

If you need to -- or want to -- work, just do it. I don't think telling someone that you might leave is necessary as anyone can leave at any time. At the same time, I wouldn't take a job that involves your employer doing extensive training, only to have you leave.

Given life, this may be the only year you have like this until you retire! A good mix of work, study, and play sounds like it would be in order.

Enjoy.

Archived