PA NARRATIVE...ANY HELP APPRECIATED!

Here's my narrative. Any input would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you in advance! 

Beep…beep…beep… as a 12 year-old boy, these sounds resonated familiarly to my ears. The white cardiac monitor at Bridgeport Hospital (BH) incessantly measured the heart activities of my ailing father. Suddenly, awakened by blaring bursts of aberrant beeps, I was left dismayed by the sight of my unresponsive father. A nurse shortly rushed in, glanced at the monitor and cried, “Call code!” Within a heartbeat, the color of white overwhelmingly filled the room, outshining the bright blue tiles. With adrenaline rushing through my veins, I quickly peered in through the cracks of the barely opened door. “Push!...ready?...all clear!” During the confusing and fearful ordeal, I managed to catch a glimpse of some badges: “MD” and “PA.” I was filled with awe by the relentlessness of these doctors travelling from other states. From then on, I knew I was going to be a doctor.

During career fair in 8th grade, two words caught my attention: Physician Assistant (PA). It was then that I realized PA was not a U.S. state after all. I intriguingly approached the desk to inquire for more information. That night, I returned home and looked myself in the mirror with a hysterical grin, amused by my foolish misinterpretation of the career of a PA.

During my father’s hospitalization, I anxiously sat in the waiting room for his 14-hour heart surgery. Pre and post-operation, I remembered it was a PA that approached our worried family and assured us with empathetic, comforting words. When I was 13 years old, it was a PA that tranquilly approached us and explained my mother’s breast cancer and impending mastectomy. When I rushed into the Emergency Room (ER) for pneumonia, it was a PA that listened to my lungs and treated me with quality care. When I charged through the doors of the BH ER during the week of my sophomore spring college final exams, it was a PA that approached my family and myself, explaining the diagnosis of my father’s sudden stroke. Receiving recurrent heartwarming care from the PAs provoked a sense of obligation for me to do the same. With a moment of deep self-reflection and juxtaposition of myself and the numerous PAs that I have encountered, the more I did so, my reflection in the mirror seemed to be fitting with that of a PA.     

Well, why a PA? As a budding architect for the journey of my life, I have frequently asked myself: what is happiness and how is it achievable for me? Many times, I’ve caught myself attributing happiness with self-gratification, whether it is in the form of materials, recognition, or fame. As I’ve learned to give more, I realized happiness in the form of selfish endeavors is very short-lived. I’ve wholeheartedly realized the meaning of the scripture: “assist those who are weak…there is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.” – Acts 20:35.

Since then, I’ve experienced profound happiness of unspeakable value by building my innate ability to give. I started volunteering in my hometown as an Emergency Medical Technician. I willingly dedicated 70 hours per month for 66 consecutive months in my religious organization, teaching the Bible to those who are interested. As a clinical dietitian and working together with the BH multidisciplinary medical team, I am currently responsible for the nutritional needs of patients in 60 rooms, one of which is the exact room where my 12-year old self was witnessing my father’s cardiac arrest. I will be volunteering soon in the medical team of Cusco, Peru, serving the underserved in a rural clinic where I eagerly anticipate on gaining a new perspective of life.

Looking into the future of my upcoming, long life journey, I feel comfortable trekking in the shoes of a PA. It fits just right, not too big or small. With no doubt, it will be challenging and at times overwhelming. To best prepare myself into a smooth transition, I’ve enrolled as an affiliate member of the American Academy of Physician Assistants since 2012 and kept myself updated on the current events of the PA world. I’ve familiarized myself with the PA career by shadowing multiple PAs in various medical specialties. I’ve initiated many conversations with the PAs that work in BH to obtain firsthand perspective and insight on the career of a PA. I can affirmatively say that I feel prepared now more than ever before.

As an aspiring PA, I am fully aware this is not only about me. Matter of fact, myself is not important in the honor of being a PA. My career as a PA is about best representing my gratitude towards my family, my friends, my future alma mater, and most importantly, my patients. Beep…beep…beep…as a PA, I look forward to giving the rest of my time and energy responding to these signals for my extended fathers and mothers. I firmly believe this, not prosperity or fame, is what will give me profound happiness. I thank you very much for taking the time to read my narrative and for being a part of my exciting life journey to becoming a PA. 

I like it :D It's obvious you took your time to write this essay.

Suggestions:

• I would  take out "I will be volunteering in Peru." Maybe once you have done volunteering there, you might want to add it back before submitting your essay (if permissible).
  • I would also remove the "I thank you for taking the time to..." 
  • Hopefully you will be adding your AAPA affilation on your CASPA - your essay will be more intriguing if you replace a story about one of your own patients instead of the AAPA membership...I don't know if others might agree.

Overall, compared to the other PS's I've read here, this is one of the better ones.

Archived