Am I crazy for submitting to 30 programs?

If you can afford it, meet all of the requirements of all of the schools (including filing any required supplemental applications), and can afford to go to multiple interviews, then go for it. I don't believe the schools get to know how many applications you filed.

Good luck with your plan.

No you're not crazy. It is better to apply to 30 schools and have a chance to become a PA than applying to 10 and have no chance because it is so competitive. I have found 15 programs that I am really interested in (and will be happy to attend either of the 15) but will be applying to an additional 5 just for safety.

I e-submitted my application today and I went with thirty programs. I have spent three years researching them, had the money saved to devote to my application and would be fine with any of the schools. 

This can't hurt me in anyway can it?

If you have any money LuPjb1R.gifleft over after you have been accepted to a program can you share the LOVE over here? LOL

Mjh6pAk.gif Good Luck

If you have any money LuPjb1R.gifleft over after you have been accepted to a program can you share the LOVE over here? LOL

Mjh6pAk.gif Good Luck

Haha! I think I will be cleaned out by the time I do secondaries and have the travel expenses for interviews (if I get any). 

Ok thanks, for the responses. I feel like I get on here and people use a lot of "should apply to 10, maybe 15" speak. 

• Administrator

I would think that after about 5-10 schools, your chances of being accepted won't increase appreciably with additional schools.

Call it an equation where the chance of being accepted is 1-(N^S)  where N is your base chance of rejection, and S is the number of schools to which you apply.  Since N is really about 90-95% for most applicants, the acceptance curve is pretty flat.  That is, the people who are going to get in will do so with just a few schools, those with moderate chances can benefit from more, and those with dismal chances are mostly just wasting their money.  Mind you, this is a model, not an empirical study, so it's most akin to a hypothesis.

I dummied up an Excel spreadsheet to demonstrate my model, but the forum won't let me upload it.  PM me your email if you'd like to see what I did up.

On the other side, the acceptance process is not purely objective, especially where the personal statement is considered.  Something you write in there may speak to one admissions committee member, where it didn't to others.  Same goes for interviews.  Also, with some schools wanting a "balanced class," you have to consider how many applicants with your GPA/ HCE are applying to each schools.  Given these factors, I don't believe you can look at the application process to all schools as a purely algorithmic process.  At least thats what I'm telling myself as I am applying to many schools also.

I think Rev nailed it. 30 schools seems like major overkill to me. I think you'd be better served picking a few competitive "dream" schools, a few midrange programs, and a few that you are more confident you could get into. It's your time and your money, though. Do whatever you think will give you the best chance... Good luck!

Archived