PA Executive Director

Found this pretty cool job for anyone looking to leave the clinical realm...

Minimum Salary 113,672.00 Maximum Salary : 181,896.00

Executive Director Mid Level Providers Wake Physician Practices

WakeMed - Raleigh, NC

About WakeMed

WakeMed Health & Hospitals, located in Raleigh, North Carolina is an 870+ bed private, not-for-profit network of medical centers, ambulatory care centers and outpatient facilities, representing the largest health system in greater Raleigh, North Carolina. Our system includes over 7,600 nurses, technologists, medical support staff, and more than 1,000 affiliated physicians who represent the best minds and the biggest hearts in the business. Key service areas include heart and vascular services, trauma and emergency, rehabilitation services, neurosciences, and women’s and children’s services.

WakeMed is headquartered in Raleigh, NC, which is ranked nationally as one of the top ten best places to live for quality of life, and is located just two hours from the beach or three from the mountains. The area has been named one of the fastest growing areas in the country and is located just minutes from the famous Research Triangle Park.

Position Information

Reports to the Sr. Vice President of Medical Affairs and Physician Practices. Is responsible for the overall direction of the Physician Services Mid-Level providers to include management, medical services/outcomes, staff engagement and financial performance. Position will provide both administrative/management and clinical support.

Experience Requirements :

Preferred candidates will have prior experience with operational control of a business or business unit with positive outcomes.

Education Required :

Advanced leadership training preferred -MBA/MHA/MPH or certificate.

Licensure/Certification Requirements :

Physician Assistant: ACLS , BCLS , PA NC License Nurse Practitioner: ACLS , BCLS , NP , RN NC License

Hours of Work : As Assigned

Weekend Requirements : As Needed

Call Requirements : As Assigned

Guest Paula

The terminology would be number one on my agenda if I was hired and would be replaced with Advanced Practitioner or Advanced Provider or Advanced Practice Clinician along with education for the whole Wake Med system.  It would include mandatory training for all of those who show bias against us.  LOL!

What is that called "PA/NP phobia"?

Should PAs be working on doctrates so that when more of these oppurtunities come up in the future, more people are prepared to step in? If it will move our profession forward i'd consider working on one for global health issues. Should PAs, in general, be moving in the direction of getting doctrates to keep up with NPs until there is resolution of the chasm between the two professions? Pardon my ignorance in this realm. Thanks for insight ahead of time.

I do not think you need a doctorate to be an healthcare executive. However I would expect a PA looking to head into administration at an executive level to have some catalogue of formal education related to the task alongside some relevant experience. I am not talking about a lead PA/chief role in an ED or something. I feel this type of position could be acquired by someone who has a strictly clinical education and background with good mgmt. and leadership skills. However, higher level (not sure if that term is correct to use) positions I feel require some advanced org psychology, fiscal, and planning experiences. Maybe not a doctorate but an MBA or MPH. Some larger hospital inst and academic centers offer certificate programs where you can gain and document these skills. Yes more PAs need to assume these roles ... especially those with relevant past experience. Too many non clinical personnel manage healthcare and create plans and policy which are not feasible in practice.

MBA would work as well,

Although I love the clinical side of medicine, I think I would have a tough time declining this position if it opened locally. It is sort of a force multiplier, one excellent PA is one excellent PA, one excellent administrator could grow the PA workforce literally get 20 or 30 even a small hospital system.

MBA would work as well,

Although I love the clinical side of medicine, I think I would have a tough time declining this position if it opened locally. It is sort of a force multiplier, one excellent PA is one excellent PA, one excellent administrator could grow the PA workforce literally get 20 or 30 even a small hospital system.

Totally agree. What if we created a new thread under "Professional Physician Assistant" for PA's in executive level positions to promote this type of career path for current and future PA's. I think jobs like these could start a sort of "grass roots" type movement within hospital systems and possibly create another avenue to affect change for the profession...IMHO

Guest Paula

Does anyone know of grants/scholarships available for PAs who are interested in furthering their education with a doctorate? 

Guest Paula

Paula. Take a job in education when free education is part of the package (at same institution). I'm hiring experienced faculty in 2015 and not so experienced in late 2015-2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea but I'm not particularly suited to education.   I started precepting and have had one student.  It went ok and after the 8 weeks was done I took stock of everything and know I will change how I precept the next student.  It is a another learning curve.  I also asked the student to give me feedback on how to strengthen my precepting and the rotation as a whole.  I received good feedback.  The student did tell me she got to do a lot more with me than her other rotations so I was glad to hear that. 

Hey Paula .... send me a PM or post some questions here. After PA school I did further graduate education and am aware of career pathways in academics. I did not complete the doctorate (yet) but it is in Public Health. If you are looking to study part time/half time there is unlikely much money outside of 1) apply for grants to fund research when you are at that point in your degree. 2) some organizations will award scholarship if you plan on working in an area that is relevant to them. 3) the most realistic is your employer helping pay for school.  While studying at an expensive private school for graduate studies I had a classmate being given 5k a year towards his education from the hospital he was a physician at. He was also given a small grand by the pulmonary physician association to study lung disease epidemiology. It made me question my private practice route hah. My new job, part of a larger system, comes with generous tuition reimbursement.

Archived