A unique take on the "I want to take an EMT-B course"

I was an EMT-B for many years prior to being a PA, but once I got my PA I let the EMT lapse.  This was a mistake- I wish I had just paid the fees and kept the cert, but I didn't think I'd really use it again. So now I want it back.

I'm soon moving back to my home state of Texas, and to my knowledge there is no way for a PA to challenge the EMT-B test in Texas (and I know you can't do that for the NREMT, but I'm just interested in the state cert).  So, this means retaking the course, which I don't mind- I think it'll be rather interesting. 

Here's where I come to the forum- I've been doing some looking around at the PERCOM online program, and was curious if any of our ambitious pre-PA's who are also in EMS have any knowledge, whether first-hand or second-hand, about this program.  I'm just looking at EMT- no interest in progressing further (for now).

Option B would be to befriend a state legislator who can introduce legislation to allow PA's to challenge the EMT-B cert in Texas, but since that will take much more time and effort, the EMT-B course will have to do :)

I have a friend who's in their paramedic program; he used to be a medic but let his card lapse.  He said for someone in that situation (which is similar to yours) the program is good, because you can get it done faster and have less hoops to jump through.  Also, you don't have to be in Texas, he just traveled down there a few times for the skills (two days at a time), I believe it was only twice.

Another option you could consider is getting certification in a state that allows PAs to challenge the exam, then just transferring your state cert to Texas (assuming Texas allows for transfers from other states)

You can always do the UNITEK 2 week boot camp located in Fresno. You'll get your NREMT then go to the LEMSA in Tx and fine for your certification. Or challenge the EMT-B in a state that allows for it to be challenged, do the NREMT refresher course (usually 1 or 2 days tops) and then once you have your NREMT file for EMT status at the Tx LEMSA.

there is also a 1 week emt-b course in nebraska at creighton. you can do 2 more weeks after for your medic.

it is not cheap.

the program is advertised as for nurses but if you review prior threads here you will see they also take em and critical care pas.

your best option for the money is probably the online course in TX.

Thanks everyone for the advice- some good variable options.  I had thought, based on my abstract I did a few years ago in regards to all 50 states' legislation on PA's in EMS that Texas didn't allow for some kind of way to get the EMT- turns out, there may be a way to just get the EMT by contacting an educational institution and inquiring about it.  Link is here if anyone else is in a similar situation- http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraumasystems/EMS/sequiv.shtm

If that doesn't work, I think PERCOM will be the way to go- as much as a trip to Fresno or Nebraska sounds appealing, I likely won't be able to swing it.  

Thanks again everyone

Medic here.... Question...(working my last shift on the truck before moving to Washington for PA school.)    Why do you want your EMT? just curious? For volunteer ff? or?....? I've been debating come November if I'm gonna send in my $200 bucks to keep my Medic license while I'm in school. I guess its not a bad idea for just in case...

I don't have any specific plan in place- I just think it would keep some doors open, or open doors that I can't even see yet.  The money's not that big a deal for me (I know, I know...easy to say as a PA)- having the cert again is just worth it to me.

I would strongly advise you to pay the fee to keep your paramedic cert- as you know, it'd be a lot harder to get it back than just an EMT cert.  Many PA's, including some here on this forum, are still paramedics and even practice as paramedics occasionally.

Why EMT instead of paramedic?  Just thinking aloud here, but couldn't that pose an odd dynamic if you work on an ALS ambulance?  Technically the paramedic would be the higher level of care, but if you disagree with their treatment route, or they make a mistake (which you might not notice if you're driving during transport) could that come back on you, having the higher training?  

To siskiyoufire, is it hard to transfer a medic cert to WA?

Why EMT instead of paramedic?  Just thinking aloud here, but couldn't that pose an odd dynamic if you work on an ALS ambulance?  Technically the paramedic would be the higher level of care, but if you disagree with their treatment route, or they make a mistake (which you might not notice if you're driving during transport) could that come back on you, having the higher training?  

I was an EMT for a long time before a PA, and I'm not looking to invest a lot more money in becoming a paramedic- I just want my foot back in the door in the EMS world, and you need a certification of some kind.  If this Texas "equivalency for other health professions" allow for paramedic rather than EMT, then that may be another discussion- but I'm willing to bet that not many programs will let me just jump ahead to paramedic without some current lower certification.  But maybe they will- I'll explore that as it comes.  But the EMT is enough for me at this time. 

In regards to your hypothetical, both the paramedic and I would be operating under protocols- there's no deviation from this.  There is no pre-hospital mechanism in place in Texas for PA's- so I can't operate as a PA in the field.  As my supervising physician would be whom I practice under in the ER, the delegation of practice exists only in that environment.  So if I was the EMT on the ambulance, I could only legally operate under my EMT.  And I have every confidence that this would be legally defensible...particularly in your hypothetical of a paramedic doing something wrong as I was driving to the hospital- in that situation, it really wouldn't matter who was driving- it's the paramedic's fault. 

EMS isn't an episode of "House". There really isn't that much you can do with the tools you have available so if his Paramedic is remotely competent at his job there shouldn't be too much to disagree over. 

I believe you can challenge the NREMT-P exam as a PA to get your paramedic license.

In Florida, RNs (and I guess by extension PAs and docs) can only challenge the medic exam after first getting EMT-B. A RN was in my EMT class 3 days a week for a semester so she could fly the trauma hawk. Each state is different I guess but I've never heard of anyone being able to challenge the EMT test, only medic.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Archived