PA School Testing Advice

Does your program offer test reviews? If so, I would highly recommend that you attend them as it will help you palpate your issue with taking exams. It's important to realize that you are no longer in undergrad, so you can't compare your performance in PA school to what you did then. Not only are you faced with much more material, but your also asked to apply that information in a way that you may not be used too. Just focus on improving yourself from exam to exam, and soon you will find yourself improving in all aspects. If tutors are available, get them now and don't wait. While you may not be used to the idea of utilizing a tutor, their experience with the material can certainly help you with the conceptual disconnect that you are experiencing. Good luck!

I know that conventional wisdom is to grab hold of all those Board prep books and treat them like gold as a way to study for PA school, but as my students will tell you, I recommend not doing that starting out. As other may have said, you have to learn the concepts behind the medicine. I can't stress that enough. Maybe I'm just old, but my experience has been that without knowing the "why" simply being able to regrugitate something memorized and a cram and dump approach comes back to bite one in the posterior.

That being said, those prep books and Online test banks have a place. I agree the more you can get under your belt, the better performance on standadized test will be especially if you have established a solid knowledge base if the first place.

Just a few thoughts from an old guy, who probably doesn't know any better.:rolleyes:

LesH

Absolutely agree...

I liked the books for my learning type... I found that taking a well-designed test was a learning experience (for me), so using the books to help me identify misconceptions and deeping my understanding helped... after learning the basic concepts.

Listen to the "old guy"... he's too dern modest... ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know how you are studying, but I can tell you what happened in my experience. It is important not to just MEMORIZE the material, but to understand the big picture and use logic to apply it to different situations. I like to use examples to do this. This is an intense program, and it requires more than knowing a list of facts, especially since every patient is different. It helped me to study with a group so we can discuss situations rather than just sitting and memorizing. good luck!

• 3 years later...

Archived