South University class starting January 2015

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wont share my exact stats but I will say that I am above the minimum required GPA, but below the average accepted GPA. 4.0 post bac GPA for 22 credits. GRE score is average for accepted students. I was a student who did much better my last two years of undergrad than my first.

I have good experience in many different areas of healthcare, good references, and spent a lot of time on my narrative, which I feel and was told was strong. 

I am a re-applicant. 

That's great to hear! I'm still waiting on hearing back from South. I feel I have a competitive application going into this cycle as I am a re-applicant also however this will be my first time applying to South. My GPA stands at 3.52 with over 2500 hours of HCE and strong references however my GRE score stands at a 301 composite score. Does anyone know if this is competitive enough or should I retake it?

I believe since your GPA and HCE are high you shouldn't worry about your GRE scores as much. My overall GPA is 3.43 and GRE is 303 with a 4.0 in writing. My HCE are around 350. I have strong recs and a strong personal narrative. I believe I'm a pretty average competitor, the only thing that stands out for me is I'm 20 years old which can either give me an edge or really hinder my application

@ardavis

I wouldn't be discouraged. A lot of programs like students who are a little older and have had a chance to "live". The programs want to know that you're in an appropriate place in your life where you can devote 100%. I think your stats are very competitive but your young age could be a negative factor at some places.

@ardarvis, were you contacted by phone or email stating this? I was just wondering because I have yet to hear anything back from the university! However you do have A LOT to offer at such a young age. I wouldn't be surprised if you were to get in next year with more HCE under your belt!

I agree with ryanpb09. I wasn't saying you don't have great things to offer. I was just stating that considering the fact that your stats are competitive, the only reason you might not have received an interview was due to your age. I would definitely bump up your HCE hours. Although its not required by a lot of programs, it can definitely be the "X" factor and increase your appeal.

Thanks,those are kind words to hear and great advice! It's hard to hear a no when you want something so badly, but I'm not going to let that discourage me. I'll definitely be reapplying next year. @ryanpb09 I received an email stating my application decision on the 27th which was about a week turn around from when South told me they had received my application. I'll be following the posts on here to help guide me for next year. I wish the best for both of you!    

Hi all,

I also have an interview on June 10th, I applied the 1st week of May and  was emailed for an interview within 2 weeks. If anyone has any tips about the interview process, like what questions to prepare, than please let me know. Im really nervous, its my first one and I really want to go to this school! Good luck to us all everyone!

Interview was very enjoyable. They asked the questions you would expect, + a few extra. I would HIGHLY advise searing through some PA books or website to investigate commonly asked questions. Overall it was a relaxed interview with very fair questions- why do you want to be a PA, why do you want to come here, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

yes the interview was very relaxing. But like he said review some behavioral questions. They ask the main ones like why do you want to be a PA, why should we pick you,strengths, and weaknesses. I was asked about a time I had to be honest about a situation and what i thought was an important skill a PA should have. Just know whats on your application and know why you want to do this. They also will ask you to tell them about yourself so make sure to tell them the important things then. Overall a very enjoyable process, besides the nervousness lol! good luck to us all!

I received an interview invite today, 6/12 via email for July 8th and 9th! My CASPA app was verified on 5/20 (I also sent my GRE scores around this time), and South received my application on 5/21. I am super excited! I will keep others updated on my interview experience as well.

Hello, 

I was selected to have my interview on the June 10/11 dates this week. Apparently we were the very first interview group for South, so no worries on anyone who hasn't heard back yet. It's still very early in the process! 

My advice: just be yourself (as cliche as that may be). I thought the interview was incredibly laid back and simple. There were no trick questions or things asked that you shouldn't already know about yourself. You have to remember how selective a process this is...if you were chosen to interview then they ALREADY like you. You just have to solidify those things that got you to the interview in the first place and put a face to your name. 

For those of you in my interview group, it was nice to meet y'all! I am anxiously waiting to hear back. Two weeks is far too long! 

Archived