Presenting Assistant Physician in Missouri

I just saw a post in this forum and research this in Missouri state Law and found this thing ...what I can say ..

COLLABORATIVE PRACTICE ARRANGEMENTS WITH ASSISTANT PHYSICIANS (Sections 195.070, 334.035, 334.036, 334.037, Section 1)

This act allows certain medical school graduates to obtain a temporary assistant physician license in order to enter into "assistant physician collaborative practice arrangements" with a physician. An assistant physician collaborative practice arrangement shall limit the assistant physician to providing only primary care services and only in medically underserved rural or urban areas of this state or in any pilot project areas. An "assistant physician", is defined as any medical school graduate who has passed the prescribed medical examinations and who has not entered into postgraduate residency training prescribed by rule of the State Board of Registration for the Healing Arts. The act prescribes the other requirements to be licensed as an assistant physician and specifies certain practices an assistant physician cannot perform.

The collaborating physician is responsible at all times for the oversight of the activities of, and accepts responsibility for primary care services rendered by the assistant physician. A licensed assistant physician shall enter into an assistant physician collaborative practice arrangement within six months of his or her initial licensure and shall not have more than a six-month time period between collaborative practice arrangements during his or her licensure period.

last year NRMP national residency match program has 26K slots for PGY 1 residency they have 40K applicant . so you can go on NRMP web site for match 2014 and you will get these results . The 600-800 figure you are telling is the US Graduate in the year 2014 . But these 15K are those IMGs from foreign countries etc who are ECFMG certified did not match . ..

U.S. Medical Students Learn 2014 National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®) Main Residency Match Day 

Results in Ceremonies Today 

In the 2014 NRMP Main Residency Match results released today, more than 16,000 U.S. medical school seniors 

are among the 25,687 applicants who successfully matched to first-year residency positions. Students receive 

Match results today at their medical school Match Day ceremonies. 

Washington, D.C., March 21, 2014—The National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®) 2014 Main Residency 

Match® results released today show that 16,399 U.S. allopathic medical school seniors have matched to first-year 

residency positions. U.S. seniors around the country will celebrate these results at Match Day ceremonies being 

held today. Match Day is an annual rite of passage for U.S. medical school students and other applicants, a day 

when they learn at which U.S. residency programs they will train for the next three to seven years. 

This year, the Match offered 29,671 first- and second-year positions, 500 more than in 2013 and an all-time high. 

More than half of the additional positions were in the primary care specialties of Internal Medicine and Family 

Medicine. According to NRMP Executive Director Mona M. Signer, the 2014 numbers continue a steady trend of 

position growth. “In the past five years alone we’ve seen an increase of more than 4,000 positions, and more than 

half of those are in Internal Medicine and Family Medicine,” Signer said. 

Although the total number of registrants increased in 2014, the number of U.S. seniors declined. “Eighty-nine 

fewer seniors registered for the Match and 113 fewer submitted rank order lists of programs. That’s a surprise,” 

said Signer. She added, “The good news is that the number of U.S. seniors choosing primary care continued to 

increase modestly, with 3,167 seniors matching in Internal Medicine and 1,398 in Family Medicine. An additional 

1,818 seniors matched in Pediatrics, 19 fewer than last year.” 

Match Rates for Applicant Groups 

This year’s Match included 40,394 registrants, 59 more than last year; however, 85 fewer applicants submitted 

rank order lists of programs. With more positions and fewer applicants competing for them, match rates rose for 

all key applicant groups. The overall match rate to first-year positions was 75 percent, the highest since 2006. The 

match rate for U.S. seniors was 94.4 percent, 0.7 percentage points higher than last year. Of the applicants who 

matched, 54 percent of U.S. seniors and almost 50 percent of all other applicants matched to their first choice fo

U.S. Medical Students Learn 2014 National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®) Main Residency Match Day 
In the 2014 NRMP Main Residency Match results released today, more than 16,000 U.S. medical school seniors 
are among the 25,687 applicants who successfully matched to first-year residency positions. Students receive 
Washington, D.C., March 21, 2014—The National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®) 2014 Main Residency 
Match® results released today show that 16,399 U.S. allopathic medical school seniors have matched to first-year 
residency positions. U.S. seniors around the country will celebrate these results at Match Day ceremonies being 
held today. Match Day is an annual rite of passage for U.S. medical school students and other applicants, a day 
when they learn at which U.S. residency programs they will train for the next three to seven years. 
This year, the Match offered 29,671 first- and second-year positions, 500 more than in 2013 and an all-time high. 
More than half of the additional positions were in the primary care specialties of Internal Medicine and Family 
Medicine. According to NRMP Executive Director Mona M. Signer, the 2014 numbers continue a steady trend of 
position growth. “In the past five years alone we’ve seen an increase of more than 4,000 positions, and more than 
Although the total number of registrants increased in 2014, the number of U.S. seniors declined. “Eighty-nine 
fewer seniors registered for the Match and 113 fewer submitted rank order lists of programs. That’s a surprise,” 
said Signer. She added, “The good news is that the number of U.S. seniors choosing primary care continued to 
increase modestly, with 3,167 seniors matching in Internal Medicine and 1,398 in Family Medicine. An additional 
This year’s Match included 40,394 registrants, 59 more than last year; however, 85 fewer applicants submitted 
rank order lists of programs. With more positions and fewer applicants competing for them, match rates rose for 
all key applicant groups. The overall match rate to first-year positions was 75 percent, the highest since 2006. The 
match rate for U.S. seniors was 94.4 percent, 0.7 percentage points higher than last year. Of the applicants who 
matched, 54 percent of U.S. seniors and almost 50 percent of all other applicants matched to their first choice fo

Where did you get this number?

I just googled after reading your post and one source had ~600 unmatched.

https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/june2013/346238/word.html

This is wishful thinking, but let's think of it in terms of the PA-MD bridge.  If medical school grads are equal to us, we ought to be treated as equal to them.  Thus we ought to only required to do a post-graduate residency for a year and voila - independent practice (in most states).  I'd even do a longer residency to get independent practice across the US. 

That's my $.02.

This is wishful thinking, but let's think of it in terms of the PA-MD bridge.  If medical school grads are equal to us, we ought to be treated as equal to them.  Thus we ought to only required to do a post-graduate residency for a year and voila - independent practice (in most states).  I'd even do a longer residency to get independent practice across the US. 

That's my $.02.

Yep - agree completely.     Where do I apply for my residency?

I might be the minority here, but I am glad they are making it hard for FMG to enter the US system.

They might have a similar education, but many are far inferior, and they likely worked the system (big $$$ donations, and very wealthy families buying slots into medical school) to gain their medical degree, all for reduced or free in their own country.  Then they bail on their own country, and come in the US and take up slots.  I have worked in a hospital system that has an IM residency that is mostly FMG and and they are just not the same caliber as US grads.  The language and societal differences are huge and I have had more then one of my patients come back to me after a hospitalization saying they had no idea what the doc's were saying......

Educate our own, train our own, support US medical school grads (white, yellow, purple, Spanish who cares - just US trained)  Stop the brain drain on the other countries.  (European countries are likely very similar to USA grads, but 90+ % of the FMG's I see are not from Europe or England, but instead far out countries - that surely could use more doc's in their own countries)

Also, honestly it shows how easy it is to change a name, they created a whole new profession in one bill!!  We can certainly change a name.......

I might be the minority here, but I am glad they are making ....

I whole heartedly agree on all points made here. If I was a us med school grad and was denied residency over a fmg... oh I'd be livid. But I suspect our US grads don't want to go in to primary med enough to fill the need. All the derm spots get gobbled up, so Timmy waits until next year, where as fmg says oh I'll take that internal med spot then, I love that stuff! You don't see fmg as much going into specialties. There are some who've been x type surgeon in x country for x years that go into a surgical residency and start over in the US however. Mixed feelings about this of course.

Steve PA-C, Maine, urologic surgery

Couple point re FMG's I have worked closely with 2 grads from Lebanon. My SP then got residency at John's Hopkins. They smoke most domestic MD 's. So I think a general statement about FMG's as inferior across the board is naive .

This discussion about the Independent practice/primary care being interrupted is also overblown. Most solo providers are selling out/ joining larger groups. Fast-track clinics require MD's...

Again , a title change won't change anything. FMG = "Dr"... Like it it not that's what they are. That's how they 'll be referred to. Not "assistant doctors"....

People need to chill out. A the sky is not falling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple point re FMG's I have worked closely with 2 grads from Lebanon. My SP then got residency at John's Hopkins. They smoke most domestic MD 's. So I think a general statement about FMG's as inferior across the board is naive .

This discussion about the Independent practice/primary care being interrupted is also overblown. Most solo providers are selling out/ joining larger groups. Fast-track clinics require MD's...

Again , a title change won't change anything. FMG = "Dr"... Like it it not that's what they are. That's how they 'll be referred to. Not "assistant doctors"....

People need to chill out. A the sky is not falling.

Agreed with some of your points above.

One thing will like to point out. Working w/ 2 FMG is a small sample size. I've extensive exp working w/, precepted FMG student, and even at some point did applied to off-shore med program, got accepted but declined.

FMG comes in various form. Good & bad. It's very easy to buy an MD diploma from other countries. Most offshore MD program lacks oversight and are not strictly regulated. Given the above reason. Its scary to say the least, that a FMG is granted "Assistant Physician" in MO w/ all the privileges that comes w/ it.

A FMG grad that you've work with as you indicated above who landed a prestigious residency spot doesn't mean a thing. Read the details. Most often time/ he/she have to complete a post- doctorate fellowship program/in research for x # of years prior to getting accepted into a residency program. Very commonly seen in a highly competitive residency program.

With respect to title change. Yes. It won't change a thing. I'm sure it would eliminate lots of confusion among patient, particularly in MO. Maybe across the country. What I do know is, it will define who we are. To be called an " assistant" does not clearly define what we do and who we are. Physician Associate sound better. Maybe this is right time to push for a name change.

I think we all should be concern given current development in MO. If nothing is done or said about this legislation. I can assure you that other states will follow.

We've got to continue the letter, phone calls and all the noises. If nothing stick now, it would at some point. That's what the NPs had done. To say that we should fold our hands and go home. No!

If nothing that I've said here makes sense. Keep on moving. Ignore my post. I just finish a long 12hrs shift.

There are crappy;

FMG's

MDs

DOs

PA's

NPs

RN's

LPNs

.......and every title thinks the other is full of slackers/undeserving....every title is under appreciated, under utilized, and on and on....

The only thing there is a dearth of is humility. From anyone

Archived