New Grad seeking advice in ophthalmology position

I am a new grad and accepted a position as a PA in ophthalmology. The office never had a PA before and no others offices in the area have one either. I am not sure what my role can truly be in the office. There are some PAs in the specialty in other parts of the state and a few other states. Cannot reach them via email or office number. Can someone help shine light on my path?

Why would you accept a job if you have no idea what your role is ? 

Why would an ophthalmology group pay someone big bucks when they do not even know what that person can do for them ?

what is your skill set like in ophthalmology ? Maybe you are an optometrist or optician and I am wrong here  but ...

You should have an IMMEDIATE conversation with the practice and make sure they understand the limits of PA education in ophthalmology and that you will need EXTENSIVE training. Make sure they understand what they need to provide you. I have never met a PA in this specialty and in my opinion it is not a good fit for PA and NPs. 

• Upvote 1

It seems like most PAs that go into it are prior ophthalmology techs. I would be hesitant to go into the field without a serious game plan and training commitment from the collaborating doc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By TallPA
      Hello everyone,
      I have been playing professional baseball since 2014. Due to covid, there is a chance my career could be cut short due to contracts (long un-needed story). I was a student athlete in college until I was drafted after my junior year in 2014. There are definitely more difficult situations out there, but being a student athlete at my school meant I had 2-3 hours to study per day starting at 8-9pm and we lifted at 5am every day. Finishing my degree in minor league baseball was just as tough. 12 hour bus rides twice a week, hotels, 10 hour days at the field, and playing for 6 months with only 2 days off a month. Not trying to make excuses, it was just tough for me.
      I still need to take organic chemistry, but my cGPA is 3.3 and my sGPA is 3.2. I have not taken the GRE and I have about 80 documented hours of shadowing, with over 300 undocumented hours.

Until it is certain my career has ended, what can I do to stay fresh on all my sciences? Have I missed anything to apply for PA school? Do I have a chance of getting in to school? A friend of mine is a physician and said medical/PA schools love unique stories and backgrounds. Even with my story, I want everything else to show I have a passion for medicine and I’m willing to bust my butt in school when I can strictly focus on school.
      Thank y’all in advance for any honest feedback!
    • By Jhop3
      I am a second year PA-S and I just completed my women's health rotation. I ended up loving obstetrics more than I thought I would! I was researching different jobs in OB/GYN and came across maternal fetal medicine. From the research I have found, it seems to be a very interesting and rewarding field! However, I have asked a couple of the providers at my rotation about a PA's role in MFM, and they have all said it is minimal. I looked online and there are MFM job postings for PA/NP's, so I have a couple questions for everyone:
      1) Do PA's have a role in MFM?
      2) If yes, what is their scope/daily life like? Are they mainly in the clinic? Rounding in the hospital? Do they help in the OR?

Thank you for your feedback and information!
      Josie
    • By Natalie6190
      Here are the details of my offer. There really wasn’t much to it and I have no idea where to start with negotiations and what I need to bring up. My concern is that the salary is a little on the low side. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Details include: 
      92k salary 
      24 days PTO 
      5 days CME
      2k CME 
    • By StrugglingNewGrad20
      I graduated from a PA program in Michigan in August and am still struggling to find a job more than 6 months later. I live in West Michigan and have applied to over 100 jobs within an hour radius of my home. I have had only a handful of phone interviews and 2 in-person interviews during this time. I feel like I interview very well, and am unsure what else I can do to increase my chances of securing a job. I have even reached out to recruiters from nearby hospital systems with no success. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
    • By StrugglingNewGrad20
      I graduated from a PA program in Michigan in August and am still struggling to find a job more than 6 months later. I live in West Michigan and have applied to over 100 jobs within an hour radius of my home. I have had only a handful of phone interviews and 2 in-person interviews during this time. I feel like I interview very well, and am unsure what else I can do to increase my chances of securing a job. I have even reached out to recruiters from nearby hospital systems with no success. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More