New Grad seeking advice in ophthalmology position

I am a new grad and accepted a position as a PA in ophthalmology. The office never had a PA before and no others offices in the area have one either. I am not sure what my role can truly be in the office. There are some PAs in the specialty in other parts of the state and a few other states. Cannot reach them via email or office number. Can someone help shine light on my path?

Why would you accept a job if you have no idea what your role is ? 

Why would an ophthalmology group pay someone big bucks when they do not even know what that person can do for them ?

what is your skill set like in ophthalmology ? Maybe you are an optometrist or optician and I am wrong here  but ...

You should have an IMMEDIATE conversation with the practice and make sure they understand the limits of PA education in ophthalmology and that you will need EXTENSIVE training. Make sure they understand what they need to provide you. I have never met a PA in this specialty and in my opinion it is not a good fit for PA and NPs. 

Archived