New Graduate

Hey everybody,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in and I have tried the search function, but to no avail. I am a new graduate respiratory therapist from a bachelor's program in Maryland.. And I want to become a physician's assistant but have a few worries. So I will explain my situation to everybody and see what we can come up with.

I will be graduating from my program this week with a 3.40 GPA. My GPA was actually boosted by the grades I achieved from RT schooling which in my opinion would look good on a PA application. My problems persist from my previous grades. I received 2 'Cs', one of which in A & P 2, and Gen Chem 2. I wish I could come up with an explanation for these grades but I honestly can't besides the fact that maybe I wasn't ready. I did how ever receive an 'A' in A & P 1, and a B in Advance Cardiopulmonary Anatomy during RT school. My other PA pre-reqs (Psych, etc.) I received 'Bs'. I know also that PA schools take into account clinical experience which will probably be my strong suite due to my clinical rotations during schooling and actual practice whenever I start my career. I will also need to take my Organic Chemistries/Biochem and my GRE once I become a resident of my current state. References will also not be a problem with my current professors.

My question to everybody is: Is it even worth it for me to go and take my orgo chemistries? I know Orgo is extremely hard but I feel as though I will do better in these than in past classes because RT school really taught me how to study/motivate myself. I don't want to spend the money for classes if 95% of PA schools won't even look at me due to my grades. Or should I maybe even look into taking my two 'C' classes over?

Thank you for your time reading this and if you need anymore information please let me know!

Hey everybody,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in and I have tried the search function, but to no avail. I am a new graduate respiratory therapist from a bachelor's program in Maryland.. And I want to become a physician's assistant but have a few worries. So I will explain my situation to everybody and see what we can come up with.

I stopped reading at the bolded text.

Auto-correct can be a hassle, good ole' iPhones. But I'm sorry to hear a simple mistake would hold you back from any sort of input. Thank you for the response anyways.

It may sound harsh, OP, but right now PAs are struggling to get the public and legislative respect they are due as advanced practitioners.

While everyone here knows what you meant, the lay person is easily influenced, even the silly " 's " can have an unconscious, negative impact on the perception of PAs.

Also, you really have to catch yourself with that, not only to aide the profession, but yourself as well. In an essay or interview before an adcom, that will not bode well for you. Start drilling now.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I would understand your concern if this was me posting up my interview/personal statement, but it's a simple Internet forum post I did while I was looking over the site on my phone.

I experience the same situations during clinical/classes when people are asking: "how nursing school is going". It's annoying, but do I completely disregard the persons concern? No. I understand if you do not want to respond or give me any real suggestions because my phone decided it wanted to put an apostrophe in the word, that's cool, I don't understand your logic but that's you. But why even take the time to type out a response? All I am asking for is a little guidance.

Anyways, if anybody has any input at all on my situation, good or bad, I would appreciate hearing it. Sorry for the rant, but I think that was just unnecessary.

Research the schools that you would be interested in applying.  Some programs will not accept prereqs with a C.  Calculate your cGPA and sGPA how CASPA does and see where you stand.  If you are around 3.4 for both, I would probably knock out the upper level classes you need and apply.  Just remember to do your research for each particular school.    

I would understand your concern if this was me posting up my interview/personal statement, but it's a simple Internet forum post I did while I was looking over the site on my phone.

I experience the same situations during clinical/classes when people are asking: "how nursing school is going". It's annoying, but do I completely disregard the persons concern? No. I understand if you do not want to respond or give me any real suggestions because my phone decided it wanted to put an apostrophe in the word, that's cool, I don't understand your logic but that's you. But why even take the time to type out a response? All I am asking for is a little guidance.

Anyways, if anybody has any input at all on my situation, good or bad, I would appreciate hearing it. Sorry for the rant, but I think that was just unnecessary.

Hey now, no one owes you any kind of response. I was simply explaining why you got the statement you did from wutthechris.

You may think this forum doesn't matter, but I try to always represent myself accordingly and proof my wording...especially if new and really "wanting to be a PA". You wanna blame the phone, but I think it's important, no matter the setting, to take responsibility.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

You referenced taking the organic chemities multiple times; from what I've researched, very very few schools require o-chem 2 (and only around half require o-chem 1).  I'd think it'd be more worth your time to retake the a&p2 with the C.  As mentioned above, some schools specify a min GPA of B- in all prerequisites.  Also, look into the schools, many state specifically that they don't count time from clinicals as HCE.  

I don't see why you couldn't work for a year, at the same time take o-chem 1 and retake a&p2 and gen chem 2, and be ready to apply next round

as one of the more experienced applicants out there (as an RT) , I would focus on programs that appreciate that experience. most of those (medex, stanford, etc) do not require ANY ochem. there is no ochem on pance or panre, our board exams. take it if it interests you and you can get an A in it, or if a particular program you want to attend requires it, but not otherwise.

I disagree. You're grades are poor. Undergrad a&p should be cake walk. Most the prereqs should be B+ and up. You're GPA is too low and you appear to not have any experience in rt since you just graduated..maybe in a year or two Itd have more weight. And taking and doing well in extra courses like micro or patho would boost your resume. Also I don't believe the my iPhone screwed up the name because it's physician..why would an "s" or apostrophe get in the mix.. did your iPhone substitute physician for physician's? Odd. Sorry to be blunt, but it's dog eat dog out there.

Steve PA-C, Maine, urologic surgery

I disagree. You're grades are poor. Undergrad a&p should be cake walk. Most the prereqs should be B+ and up. You're GPA is too low and you appear to not have any experience in rt since you just graduated..maybe in a year or two Itd have more weight. And taking and doing well in extra courses like micro or patho would boost your resume. Also I don't believe the my iPhone screwed up the name because it's physician..why would an "s" or apostrophe get in the mix.. did your iPhone substitute physician for physician's? Odd. Sorry to be blunt, but it's dog eat dog out there.

Steve PA-C, Maine, urologic surgery

Ouch...that makes me very uncomfortable with my 3.4 GPA. Although I still have 60 credits to go.

Your grades look fine tbh.  You should probably retake A&P for an A/B.  You can be a solid candidate after a year or two of experience once you graduate.  Clinical rotations don't count towards HCE.  Take ochem if you want to apply to schools that require it.

Archived