VERY nontrad pre-PA

Hello friends and colleagues:

Wonder of wonders (and nobody is more surprised than me), my dear husband has decided he wants to become a PA. He's been thinking about this for a few years I think, but just told me last night that he's serious about pursuing this path.

His background: Almost 43, very healthy, 9 years as a HS history & humanities teacher (Teacher of the Year this year and 2011), strong work ethic and dedication to excellence. 6 years Navy Avionics Tech on an aircraft carrier before that. Masters in Teaching, B.S. History. ZERO HCE except for being married to me. Brilliant. Exceptional memory. Good interpersonal skills. I can see him being excellent with VA patients or other underserved populations.

He's looking into prereqs and shadowing. He will probably need ALL of the common prereqs. I'm going to ask some friends if they are willing to let him shadow, but I know he needs direct HCE too. He still needs to teach at least through the end of next school year. I will be a FM resident (PGY1) this year. It may take him 2 years to finish prereqs. I need some insight from those of you with similar backgrounds as to how you approached completing prereqs while still living daily life, where you got your hours, what you did etc. He probably would be willing to complete an EMT course although I don't see him in EM. I could be wrong. I'm sure I could plug him into the free clinic where I volunteer and he would enjoy that, but those hours are limited and I'm not sure how much hands-on they would let him do there.

I'm honestly surprised by this change in paths as I thought he would likely finish a Ph.D. and teach college history, or maybe become a principal, but recent life events (especially his mother's acute illness and rather sudden death from AML) have changed his interests and priorities.

Thanks!

Lisa

I would suggest looking into local community colleges as they have schedules better catered to working adults, i.e. evenings and weekends.  The online classes stickied thread in the pre-PA section will provide some options for distance ed.  That's a good way to knock out things like psych, stats, and other non-lab classes.  I usually took 1-2 classes in the evenings/weekend and another 1-2 online while I was working full time.  As a teacher I'm sure he has to use additional time outside of work to grade assignments and such, so he'll have to figure out the correct class balance for his schedule.

Is he looking to be in school near you, or willing to relocate? I know location and marriage influenced your residency choice. If not willing to relocate then I suggest, like above, local CC that often have class times catered to people who work. Also online learning, but check with the school you want to attend as some do not accept from my experience. If willing to relocate, then there are places that will take a high achieving individual without HCE other than shadowing. PM and I can suggest some. If you really need the HCE, the most abundant thing I see is CNA and EMT B.

Thanks so far. He is (now) willing to follow me anywhere. I have a feeling my influence would help at MCG or Pacific (we are both Pacific alumni, he MAT, but I know my alma mater has a minimum 1000hr HCE). There are certainly new schools but he wants a great PA education and I am less familiar with the new schools.

Wow.  I'm sure he'll make a great PA.  It's just so surprising to see someone who is married to you, who has gone through a long PA career and then decided to become a physician, would now want to pursue the PA route.  But I'm sure this has been brought up already :)

I wish him nothing but the best of luck, and I don't really have anything to offer constructive other than to look heavily at summer semester courses which (I assume) would be off-cycle from his normal teaching gig.  

I completed all of my pre-requisites at CC while working >48 hours per week as a paramedic. It took seven semesters (English major in undergrad), but I interviewed at every school I applied to, was accepted at two of the three, and couldn't be more excited to start on Tuesday. During my time at CC, I found all of my teachers to be very understanding of older students who were trying to balance school, work, kids, mortgages, etc. Good luck to your husband, and I'm sure he'll write a great personal statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisa. That's good news. I'm sure you're part of his influence. Your job will be to support him all the way. You can only guide him. Direct entry NP program vs PA are two options. Educate him on the difference between both profession & leave the decision to him.

I'm 46 years old and a first year PA student.  It can be done at this age.

I would also recommend getting an EMT-B and starting out as a volunteer with a rescue squad.  It's hard to beat for getting real hands on experience.  I had the good fortune of being laid off my corporate IT job and having some time on my hands to complete the EMT class.  :)

Best of luck to your husband.

Start with 1-2 CC evening classes (chem or bio). I worked FT as a CNA on fri and weekends through school. For him maybe go emt or CNA and work prn weekends (not too hard to find) on top of regular job and school. I never took an online class but with labs you probably have to go in no matter what.

Also definitely rack up the volunteer hours. These count more than you think despite what you may hear on this forum. I go to a competitive program and many students have pretty crappy HCE including volunteer, pharmacy work and lab work.

Also he can easily rack up enough hours just picking up one weekend day per week and/or really hustling over the summer. I know the attitude here is 2000+ hrs and while I worked well over that as did many members here, in real life many good programs value a strong gpa much more than HCE and you can get in with fairly subpar HCE. I am NOT advocating for that and wish it weren't like that but keep that in mind as you're dealing with the real world here and 1000 hr req is the exception not the rule. So id begin the cc classes now and just slowly rack up volunteer and CNA or emt hrs over weekends and summer.

Cool story. I know you said he wants the best education possible, and of course NP is a lot of fluff, but at least he would have one serious person to refer to with any questions(if you have the time and don't mind your marriage sorta going down a preceptor type of road). Good luck!

I would first go to the local PA programs and ask them what they want in a applicant ( also he may have the option of taking courses in more then one collage concurrently)

As a very very non-traditional student, I managed to complete all my pre-reqs (nearly all those that were required) within one year e.g. fall, spring, summer

Most schools want 30-50 credits in pre-reqs so 18 credits a semester is doable, although many schools will not allow you entry to advance classes  until the basic ones have been done

As for the HCE see the above commentators

personaly I vote for EMT but I think a ER scribe has the best exposure

P.S it is always amazing when a spouse can surprise you

• 2 weeks later...

Archived