Take the residency position. You will be well trained. I know the staff and pretty sure I've taught the two non-residency-trained ED PAs there (good people, nepotism aside). This is an investment in your future and the compensation is WAYYYYY better than it was last I heard about it. The 2 yr is new but sounds like very good instruction.

Having worked (only as long as I could stand it) in prison medicine I guarantee you will NOT receive any formal instruction or mentoring. I've seen very scary shoddy "medicine" practiced in corrections and had no power to change it improve it...which made me very sad and very frustrated.

Augusta is relatively cheap cost of living and $70k will go far. Even better if your spouse works and contributes also.

Good luck!!!

Thank you Primadonna for all of your insightful advice. I have accepted the residency position and hope to start August 1st. As far as prison system is concerned: I thought I would need more clinical acumen, wisdom, patience, and discretion in order to tolerate/survive the environment of correctional medicine. Therefore, I'm glad I opted for the residency instead.  

This decision works out very well because my husband is active duty Army, so we're delighted to welcome the extra income. I will have to move to Augusta soon and can't wait to add hills to my running regimen. I am excited to see where this program will take me in my career. I am definitely looking forward to being a very competent and confident EMPA in the next 2 years. 

Guest Paula

Take the residency.  It is the wave of the future especially for EM PAs and will probably be required in the future.  The pay is decent for a residency. 

• 1 year later...

Thank you Primadonna for all of your insightful advice. I have accepted the residency position and hope to start August 1st. As far as prison system is concerned: I thought I would need more clinical acumen, wisdom, patience, and discretion in order to tolerate/survive the environment of correctional medicine. Therefore, I'm glad I opted for the residency instead.  

This decision works out very well because my husband is active duty Army, so we're delighted to welcome the extra income. I will have to move to Augusta soon and can't wait to add hills to my running regimen. I am excited to see where this program will take me in my career. I am definitely looking forward to being a very competent and confident EMPA in the next 2 years. 

I would love to know your thoughts on the residency.  I have applied to Augusta's PA program and didn't even know the residency existed.  Would you do this again given the opportunity?

• 4 months later...

I actually spoke with the director of the program personally (Dr. Bruce Janiak, the first EM Resident in the country) about a year and a half ago, and it seemed pretty well put together. Can't comment on what has happened since, but I definitely wouldn't call the program shady simply because one of their now residents hasn't come back to the forum. 

I actually spoke with the director of the program personally (Dr. Bruce Janiak, the first EM Resident in the country) about a year and a half ago, and it seemed pretty well put together. Can't comment on what has happened since, but I definitely wouldn't call the program shady simply because one of their now residents hasn't come back to the forum. 

Agreed- residency is extremely time-consuming.  Just because I and others posted about residency while going through it doesn't mean others can.  It's tough

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived