In need of advice

I'm 38. Wet to college on and off for many years due to personal and family issues (two surgeries of my own, taking care of a very sick family member for ten years and having to work two jobs to support my parents, among other things). I also have lots of withdrawals in my history and one "F" in Physics, which I retook. I've always dreamt of becoming a physician, but due to my blemished academic history, it is obvious I'll never be accepted. I'm OK with this, and am now trying to decide among the following programs:

1) Bachelor of Nursing

2) Physician Assistant

3) Nurse Anesthetist

I am three classes away from graduating with a B.A. in Liberal Arts. This can be easily accomplished by the end of 2014. My GPA lies somewhere between 2.8 and 3.0. Here are my questions:

1) Should I graduate with a Bachelor's in Liberal Arts and then go for one of the degrees listed above? Or should try to get into nursing school now, before I graduate with my Bachelor's? I am afraid I will not qualify for financial aid for a second Bachelor's if I graduate now.

2) If I were lucky enough to get in, would I still be able to work? I am in a loosely-related healthcare field, and work three shifts per week.

3) How long would this process take? I am trying to figure out what is the most realistic, cost-effective and efficient way to do it. I've always known I belonged in healthcare, and by now I am certain this is not going to change. I am poor, but healthy, unmarried, no children, bright and more than willing to go the extra mile. Any advice would be appreciated!

1) Best answered by your school's FA dept.

2) Don't count on being able to work at all in PA or CRNA school. Maybe a shift here and there, but unlikely.

3) 1-5 years depending on what classes you need,how many schools you apply to, and how many app. cycles it takes you to get in.

It sounds like you have a lot of homework to do. The three professions you listed are all vastly different. For CRNA you'd most likely have to start w/ a BSN depending on your chosen program. Research programs you're interested in and checkthe prerequisites. Get good grades in those classes. The programs you listed are competitive.

It sounds like you just need to figure out what you really want. I'm your same age, poor, healthy, but married w/ 2 children... it's very tough, but doable.

1) Best answered by your school's FA dept.

2) Don't count on being able to work at all in PA or CRNA school. Maybe a shift here and there, but unlikely.

3) 1-5 years depending on what classes you need,how many schools you apply to, and how many app. cycles it takes you to get in.

It sounds like you have a lot of homework to do. The three professions you listed are all vastly different. For CRNA you'd most likely have to start w/ a BSN depending on your chosen program. Research programs you're interested in and checkthe prerequisites. Get good grades in those classes. The programs you listed are competitive.

It sounds like you just need to figure out what you really want. I'm your same age, poor, healthy, but married w/ 2 children... it's very tough, but doable.

Thank you!

• Administrator

1) Yes.  Always get as many degrees as you can. I have seven... so far.

2) Not enough to make a financial difference, really.

3) depends on which path.  CRNA would be 1-2 for RN/BSN+ 2 years ICU work + 2 years school at a minimum (going to 3 and a doctorate soon, IIRC), as I understand it.  CRNA also makes the most money, but uses the most math, so the physics fail is a concern.

Archived