Acceptances from previous years help!!

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what everyone's statistics were for those who got in precious years. I have 1600 hours of direct patient care at an internal Medicine office as a medical assistant, about 120 hours of shadowing two PAs and a doctor, 300 hours of volunteering, two years of research at a biology lab at my university, and an overall GPA of 3.76. I've taken additional science classes, and my last one is genetics which I am finishing up this summer. What are my chances?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most important things when applying to Stony Brook are to have met all the requirements and submit as early as possible. They do 3 sets of interviews (September, October, November). I submitted my CASPA app first week of June, got the supplemental middle of July and was offered an interview in August for October. I've heard through the grapevine that they eliminate a lot of applicants simply because they do not meet all of the requirements. Your grades and HCE sound good enough to warrant an interview, so I would say do your best to get your CASPA in asap. Also I'm not sure of their stance on accepting required courses that are in progress. I would suggest contacting the program's admissions office to verify their policy.

• 1 month later...

BKLYN-PA. I was offered a supplemental but I have one course pending. Do you think that they send out supplements to majority of the candidates regardless if they met the requirements or not?

No. If you've received a supplemental from Stony Brook that means they feel you're a qualified candidate. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but it's somewhere around 1/3 of the applicants from CASPA will get a supplemental. That's usually around 600 applicants. From those they'll pick 180 to interview.

BKLYN-PA -- What about interview selection? I have a course that's in progress right now but will be completed by the deadline of 10/14. My course will be completed mid August. However, I still haven't taken genetics. I planned to take that in the spring, but I'm not sure if that's too late. It states on their website that interview preference is given to candidates who have met all the pre-requisites.

Thanks for your help!

That's hard to say. What I can tell you for sure is that if you've received a supplemental then they know you're grades are good enough to get into the program. The purpose of the supplemental is to learn things about you that they can't from reading a list of A's & B's. Having said that, bear in mind you're competing against 600 or so people at this point. If you have a similar application to someone and they have an A in genetics while you have nothing to show, it will most likely hurt your chances. I would highly recommend taking genetics in the fall.

Since the school is on rolling admissions, does anyone know how early they respond to a completed application? I have sent my CASPA and supplemental in already. Thanks! 

I'm in the same boat as you. Keep in mind though the supplementals were just sent out 4 business days ago - and you can probably exlude Friday since it was in the afternoon. I'd imagine the committee would take at least two weeks to sort through the intial wave of the 600 or so applications. But this is just conjecture.

I'm in the same boat as you. Keep in mind though the supplementals were just sent out 4 business days ago - and you can probably exlude Friday since it was in the afternoon. I'd imagine the committee would take at least two weeks to sort through the intial wave of the 600 or so applications. But this is just conjecture.

That's also true. I figured they'd probably wait till after the deadline to get back to us. I've just been excited haha but good luck to you! 

Archived