Applicant stats--not yet accepted

I graduated from the University of Pittsburgh in 2014 with a double major in anthropology and english writing and have since gone back to school to take pre-requisite classes for PA school. My first semester freshman year of college I failed Gen Chem 1 and when I re-took it that summer I got a C. When I took gen chem 1, I was completely unprepared for the immensity of the college experience and being 8 hours away from home and navigating life on my own.  I have since re-taken it again and got an A in both chem 1 and all of my pre-requisite following. I still have microbio, genetics, biochem, and medical terminology to take which will all be completed by the end of the Fall 2017 semester. I also plan on re-taking the GRE 4 weeks from now. 

My question is: what can I do to help admissions committees see beyond my caspa science GPA? I included it in my essay and explained further on some supplemental applications but even if I get straight A's in the rest of my pre-reqs my GPA likely won't get higher than a 3.5 despite my post-bacc GPA of 3.95. I have already been rejected from 2 schools and am concerned that people won't see past my CASPA GPA and see the improvement I've made during my post-bacc classes. Any advice would be much appreciated. 

My break down is:

Undergrad gpa: 3.58, graduated magna cum laude, dean's list 6 semesters, 2 honor's societies

CASPA GPA: 3.48

science GPA: 3.3

PCH: 725 as a patient care technician at a pediatrics office + continuing to accumulate, 467 as a dental assistant. 1192 hours total

Shadowing: 108 hours ( 2 PAs, 1 MD, 1 PT)

LOR: 1 PA, 1 MD, 1 Organic Chem Prof, 1 Anatomy Prof, 1 Writing Prof

Volunteering: a bunch in college probably around 100 or so. 

Post-Bacc Grades: 3.95 GPA

Chem 1 & 2: A

Organic Chem 1 lecture: A 

Organic 1 Lab: B-

Bio 1& 2: A

AP 1 & 2: A

GRE: 154 V, 148 G, 4.5 W

Schools Applied to: 13 (Drexel, USC, PCOM, MCPHS Boston, LSU, Duke, Temple, Jefferson, Philly U, Arcadia, GWU, Rutgers)

Rejected: 2 (Arcadia + Rutgers)

Thank you!!

32 minutes ago, martink741 said:

I graduated from the University of Pittsburgh in 2014 with a double major in anthropology and english writing and have since gone back to school to take pre-requisite classes for PA school. My first semester freshman year of college I failed Gen Chem 1 and when I re-took it that summer I got a C. When I took gen chem 1, I was completely unprepared for the immensity of the college experience and being 8 hours away from home and navigating life on my own.  I have since re-taken it again and got an A in both chem 1 and all of my pre-requisite following. I still have microbio, genetics, biochem, and medical terminology to take which will all be completed by the end of the Fall 2017 semester. I also plan on re-taking the GRE 4 weeks from now. 

My question is: what can I do to help admissions committees see beyond my caspa science GPA? I included it in my essay and explained further on some supplemental applications but even if I get straight A's in the rest of my pre-reqs my GPA likely won't get higher than a 3.5 despite my post-bacc GPA of 3.95. I have already been rejected from 2 schools and am concerned that people won't see past my CASPA GPA and see the improvement I've made during my post-bacc classes. Any advice would be much appreciated. 

My break down is:

Undergrad gpa: 3.58, graduated magna cum laude, dean's list 6 semesters, 2 honor's societies

CASPA GPA: 3.48

science GPA: 3.3

PCH: 725 as a patient care technician at a pediatrics office + continuing to accumulate, 467 as a dental assistant. 1192 hours total

Shadowing: 108 hours ( 2 PAs, 1 MD, 1 PT)

LOR: 1 PA, 1 MD, 1 Organic Chem Prof, 1 Anatomy Prof, 1 Writing Prof

Volunteering: a bunch in college probably around 100 or so. 

Post-Bacc Grades: 3.95 GPA

Chem 1 & 2: A

Organic Chem 1 lecture: A 

Organic 1 Lab: B-

Bio 1& 2: A

AP 1 & 2: A

GRE: 154 V, 148 G, 4.5 W

Schools Applied to: 13 (Drexel, USC, PCOM, MCPHS Boston, LSU, Duke, Temple, Jefferson, Philly U, Arcadia, GWU, Rutgers)

Rejected: 2 (Arcadia + Rutgers)

Thank you!!

I don't think it's necessarily your GPA holding you back. My cGPA and sGPA are lower than yours but I still got an interview invite from Rutgers. It could be your patient care hours, quality of volunteering, possible lack of extracurricular/leadership experiences, quality of your personal statement, or quality of your letters of rec holding you back. But you still have quite a few schools to hear back from, so I wouldn't stress just yet.

19 minutes ago, NikkiO said:

I don't think it's necessarily your GPA holding you back. My cGPA and sGPA are lower than yours but I still got an interview invite from Rutgers. It could be your patient care hours, quality of volunteering, possible lack of extracurricular/leadership experiences, quality of your personal statement, or quality of your letters of rec holding you back. But you still have quite a few schools to hear back from, so I wouldn't stress just yet.

So interesting. So many different factors. I had a lot of leadership experience in college and I double checked and have much more than 100 volunteer hours but they're not healthcare related and most of them are not recent. I began getting everything together to apply only a year ago and originally wasn't going to apply but decided I might as well since I had 3/4 of everything done already. I work three jobs so taking more than 2 classes at a time wasn't possible. I still have microbio, genetics, biochem, and medical terminology to take.

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

7 hours ago, martink741 said:

So interesting. So many different factors. I had a lot of leadership experience in college and I double checked and have much more than 100 volunteer hours but they're not healthcare related and most of them are not recent. I began getting everything together to apply only a year ago and originally wasn't going to apply but decided I might as well since I had 3/4 of everything done already. I work three jobs so taking more than 2 classes at a time wasn't possible. I still have microbio, genetics, biochem, and medical terminology to take.

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Sure, but tbh, I really think what saved me is my PS, my letters of rec, and my HCE and non-HCE volunteer service.

cGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.11
Post-Bacc GPA: 3.89
GRE: 155 V, 153 Q, 4.0 W
PCE: Physical Therapy Aide for 1860 hours
HCE: 328 hours (Domestically and abroad. All focused on underserved populations)
Shadowing: 23 hours w/ pediatric PA. 90 hours w/ doctor in underserved part of Mexico. 40 hours w/ pediatric orthopedic doctors.
Volunteering (non-healthcare): 146 hours

And then various leadership positions in college.

Also, maybe it could have to do with your outstanding pre-reqs? Microbio, genetics, and biochem are pretty important classes. Even if the schools require them by matriculation, there may be a chance that they think having these particular outstanding courses is risky. Again, this is just a guess. But I wouldn't stress with your GPA. I think it's fine.

15 hours ago, NikkiO said:

Sure, but tbh, I really think what saved me is my PS, my letters of rec, and my HCE and non-HCE volunteer service.

cGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.11
Post-Bacc GPA: 3.89
GRE: 155 V, 153 Q, 4.0 W
PCE: Physical Therapy Aide for 1860 hours
HCE: 328 hours (Domestically and abroad. All focused on underserved populations)
Shadowing: 23 hours w/ pediatric PA. 90 hours w/ doctor in underserved part of Mexico. 40 hours w/ pediatric orthopedic doctors.
Volunteering (non-healthcare): 146 hours

And then various leadership positions in college.

Also, maybe it could have to do with your outstanding pre-reqs? Microbio, genetics, and biochem are pretty important classes. Even if the schools require them by matriculation, there may be a chance that they think having these particular outstanding courses is risky. Again, this is just a guess. But I wouldn't stress with your GPA. I think it's fine.

Thanks for the reassurance! I'm a first time applicant and initially wasn't even going to apply so I'm just nervous. A mentor of mine said that the outstanding pre-reqs might be an issue but it was really gonna be a crap shoot. I feel confident my LORs and PCH are strong. I have very good relationships with all of them and I get to do a lot at my PCT job. Oh well! We shall see. Good luck to you on your interviews and the rest of the cycle!!

2 hours ago, martink741 said:

Thanks for the reassurance! I'm a first time applicant and initially wasn't even going to apply so I'm just nervous. A mentor of mine said that the outstanding pre-reqs might be an issue but it was really gonna be a crap shoot. I feel confident my LORs and PCH are strong. I have very good relationships with all of them and I get to do a lot at my PCT job. Oh well! We shall see. Good luck to you on your interviews and the rest of the cycle!!

Not a problem. And thank you! I'm also wishing you all the best of luck! :)

Thought I'd give it a go, any feedback/comments are always welcome.

Undergrad: Virginia Tech

cGPA: 3.33 (one more semester left, hopefully will be ~3.4 by graduation)

sGPA: 3.24 (again one more semester left)

Age at application time: 21

GRE: V 158 (80%) | Q 154 (55%) | AW 4.0 (59%)

PCE:

Medical assistant for MD - 114 hours

NREMT-B for local EMS station - 800 hours

Volunteer/Research

NIH/NIAID - Tuberculosis biomedical research - 320 hours

NIH/NHLBI - Muscular energetics/kinematics biomedical research - 480 hours

Undergrad TA - Genetics

Shadowing MD at Children's National in DC - 56 hours

Health peer educator at VT - 192 hours

Substance abuse peer coach at VT - 50 hours

Awards/Honors/Memberships:

Deans List (4 semesters)

AMSA (American Medical Student Association) - national member

LORS:

Lieutenant Captain (EMT-I/ER Medic), Administrative Captain (EMT-B), former biology professor, health peer supervisor, and research PI

(also have LOR from MD that I worked for, but have made note of his unavailability through contact and have custody of former LOR he wrote me)

Schools Applied to:

Northeastern University, Northwestern University, PhilaU (Thomas Jefferson), James Madison, and Duke

Application submission:

Early-to-mid June

Interview Invites:will update

Denied: PhilaU

Withdrew Application: will update

Waitlisted: will update

Accepted: Will update

Attempt: first

Undergrad: Texas Tech University

cGPA: 3.82 

sGPA: 3.92 

GRE: V - 148 Q - 145 W - 4.0 

PCE : 2,000+ hours as a Patient Care Technician. 100+ hours shadowing PAs and DO.

Volunteer/Research: 100 volunteer hours at the burn and trauma office. Undergraduate Research Assistant for NewlyWed Marriages - 200 hours. 

Awards/Member - Presidents List 6 times, and Deans list the rest of the times.

Secretary of honor society. Treasurer for Physician Assistant Student Organization. 

Member of Phi Kappa Phi (Top 7.5% of juniors at Texas Tech.) 

LOR: 2 from PAs, 1 from research professor, 1 from biochemistry survey class, 1 from nurse manager. 

Schools applied: UNT, Texas Tech, Hardin Simmons, UTMB, UTRGV, PhilU, Hofstra, UTSouthwestern. 

Interview Invites: Hardin Simmons 

Denied : TBA

Accepted: TBA (fingers crossed!) 

Waitlisted: TBA 

My stats are not stellar, but I am remaining hopeful.  

FEEDBACK IS WELCOME! 

I spent an entire 6 months working on my PS, and I am still stressing over it. However, I can not worry about situations that are no longer in my control.

Undergrad: Eastern Illinois University

cGPA: 3.52

sGPA: 3.49

GRE: V152 Q149 3.5

PCE; 585hrs as a Patient Care Technician on the Orthopedic Trauma Floor

1100 hours as CNA at nursing home (currently working part-time)

100 houra as a  Patient Care Technician in Cardiac Telemetry Unit (currently working full-time)

Extracurricular: President and Treasurer of Phi Alpha Eta (honorary service fraternity)

Public relations officer and Treasurer of Alpha Epsilon Delta (national pre-health honors society)

Public relations officer of imPAct (pre-pa club)

Undergraduate Research studying the function of the dorsal fin in longear sunfish (presented my research at 2 conferences) 

Volunteer: 40 medical

100 non-medical (all hours in underserved communities)

Shadowing: 10hrs nuerosurgeon PA-C

16hrs ER PA-C

8hrs ER D.O

8hrs ER NP

8hrs Chiropractor

Awards: 

3rd Jurisdiction Church Scholarship

Commitment to excellence Scholarship

Deans List

Most outstanding minority leader

Top Black Achiever

Most Distinguished Senior

LOR

Executive director of nursing home.

Psych PA-C

Supervising Adviser of Phi Alpha Eta

Undergraduate Research and A&P Professor

Schools applied to: Univ of Iowa, Mississippi College, Uni of Charleston, Kettering, Hofstra, Harding

Interviewed at: Mississippi College

Undergrad Ed School: A 4 Year University in Florida

Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.39

Cumulative Science GPA: 3.68 (3.81 BCP, 3.56 grad GPA)

Age of Application: 30

1st GRE:  310 (161v/149q) 3 AW

Direct Patient Care: 2551 (depending on the program)

(700 hours as a volunteer MA in a free health clinic; patient intake, vital signs, taking limited history, performing point of care procedures like A1C tests/lipid panels/UAs)

(56 hours ER volunteer; move/ambulate patients, assist in basic procedures, helped transport critical patients from life flight,connected/disconnected patients from EKG/BP/holters)

(640 hours as a research assistant (basically an MA) in a cardiovascular research lab; participant intake, health histories, conducted electrocardiograms, did pulse wave analysis & continuous beat-by-beat BP analysis, connected participants to cardiac holters, collected salivary cortisol levels from participants, administered cold pressor cardiac test.)

(1155 hours as a CNA caring for an elderly end-of-life patient; RoM stuff, personal care items, administering medications, checking vitals, ambulating.)

Shadowing: 52 hours PA Shadowing (3 PAs, 3 settings), 44 hours NP shadowing (2 ARNPs in 1 setting).

Research Activities: Volunteered as a research assistant and also took a research course for credit in a cardiovascular and social psych lab.  Didn't list my co-authorships or poster presentations but have research listed on my application.

Extracurricular Activities: 50 hours chemistry (organic/inorganic) tutor.  I also have tons of volunteer hours as the majority of my PCE/HCE has come from volunteering.

School applied: South University Tampa, UAB (finishing supplemental), Arcadia University, Ohio Dominican University, University of New England, Elon University, Barry University, South College (finishing supplemental).  **Planning on applying to several more.**

Application Submitted Date: 07/09/2017 (First school applied to/start verification).

Schools Received Application Date: (TBA)

Interview Invites: (TBA)

Denied: (TBA)

Withdrew Application: (TBA)

Waitlisted: (TBA)

Accepted: (TBA)

• 2 weeks later...

Well here goes nothing.  First time applying, I know I have rough stats in some areas, hoping my experience can carry some of that.  

Undergrad Ed School: University of Colorado Denver

Major: BA Public Health

Minor: Bio

Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.1

Cumulative Science GPA: 3.0

Age of Application: 27

1st GRE: V/159, Q/152, W/3.5

Direct Patient Care:

~4000 hours,  Paramedic

Volunteer

~300 hours,  Paramedic at a Church

~300 hours Medical Assistant in rural northern India

Research Activities:  none

Extracurricular Activities: PA club member.  

Shadowing: 40 hours Hematology PA, 8 hours GI PA. 

School applied: 11-CU Denver, Stephens College, St Louis University, Wichita State, Hardin-Simmons, University of North Texas, Northern Arizona University, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, UT Southwestern - School of Health Professions, Rocky Mountain College, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center.

Application Submitted Date: 7/27/17

Schools Received Application Date: (TBA)

Interview Invites: (TBA)

Denied: (TBA)

Withdrew Application: (TBA)

Waitlisted: (TBA)

Accepted: (TBA)

Cycles applied: 1

• 1 month later...

Undergrad (Purdue University)

sGPA: 3.43

cGPA: 3.17

Graduate School (IUPUI) GPA: 3.78

Cumalative GPA from both per CASPA: 3.28, but I did just got an A in my Med Term class, and I'm taking Microbiology now so this will go up and I have a pretty strong upward trend.

GRE:

March- Verbal: 155, Quant:149 AW:4.0. 

June-V:149 Q: 151 AW: 4

I've talked to a lot of schools at the Virtual PA fair, including Rosalind Franklin, and they said to submit both scores and they will take the highest from each section. 

HCE/PCE: 4700 as a medical scribe at a trauma center that did include direct patient contact and this was clarified in my application and by my LOR. Approximately 40% was patient contact, 50% charting, 10% as a trainer. 140 hrs as volunteer at a pediatric hospital working directly with patients as a Child Life Volunteer. I also have some hours working with cadavers (200 hrs) but I stupidly only put that as volunteer hours instead of healthcare experience. Hopefully they count that regardless. 108 hours of shadowing with PA and physicians.

A lot  of Volunteer hours outside of the medical field as well working in my college's orientation program, college mentors for kids, and dance marathon. I think volunteer experiences are always needed.

A lot of research experience. 3 years in undergrad studying pancreatic cancer, 2 years in industry, and now I'm working in a clinical immunology lab. 

I was a little late to apply because I wanted to make sure I increased my quantative score in June, so I applied July 3rd, verified July 7th. However, I did have to spread out my applications for financial reasons, so I have one more left, but it's university of the Pacific which just opened a few days ago. 

LOR

professor from grad school

ER MD who I worked with 85% of my shifts. 

ER PA 

PA who did ER and was a hospitalist that I shadowed 

Schools applied: Northwestern, Midwestern (IL), Rosalind Franklin, Southern Illinois, Indiana University, Indiana State, University of St. Francis, Butler, Augsburg College, Pacific University, Rush, Case Western, Barry University Miami, University of the Pacific (after I finish Micro in December)

I had to be selective because I completed my BS in 2011, so I had a rule out schools that 5 year class expiration dates. I haven't retaken them because I got As or Bs in them and it didn't seem cost effective to retake classes when there are so many schools that I'm eligible for. Also I had to select schools that accepted scribe hours, and took the best scores from multiple GREs. I know I focused on the midwestern schools, but it was just a coincidence I think. But a lot of the southern schools were ruled out because of the time passed since I took a couple prereqs. 

Attempt: 1st

Interview invites: TBD

Heard back from rush and was put on their interview waitlist. Heard back from Rosalind Franklin and my application is being held for further review. 

Denies: Bulter

Acceptance: TBD (hopefully)

Any feedback would be great! I'm concerned that the delay in submitting my application will cost me. Good luck to all. 

• 4 months later...

Undergrad: Louisiana State University, Kinesiology 

Graduate: Texas Woman's University, Kinesiology 

(Using the CASPA Excel Calculator)

Current CASPA Cumulative GPA: 3.02
Current CASPA Science GPA: 2.91

I will be taking 19 hours of pre-reqs before I apply (Chem I, Intro to Bio for Allied Health, Chem 2, Micro, and Genetics) and if I get a 4.0 this will be my GPA:

CASPA Cumulative GPA: 3.13
CASPA Science GPA: 3.16

Then I will be taking another 25 hours of science classes in the summer and fall to finish out a couple of pre-reqs and retake some courses (Ochem, Bio lab II, A&PI, A&PII, BioChem, Physics I, and Immunology) incase I don't get in this round and if I get a 4.0 this will be my GPA:

CASPA Cumulative GPA: 3.23
CASPA Science GPA: 3.35
GRE: 300 combined V151, Q149
PCE- 2500 as a PCT in Occupational Medical Clinic
Volunteer/Leadership: 100+ hours with various volunteer events 
LOR: 1 PA, 2 Doctors, 1 Nurse Practitioner
Shadowing: 150 hours in orthopedic surgery, Family, and Occupational Medicine

Applying to: Yale Online, UTMB, UT-Southwestern, UNT, Texas Tech, LSU-Shreveport, North Greenville University, Barry University, Sullivan University, University of Oklahoma, University of Washington-MEDEX, Missouri State University, Wichita State University, Emory University, Wingate University, Nova Southeastern University, University of Bridgeport, A.T. Still University, and Touro University. 

Submitted: Planning on applying in May 2018 before I take Ochem in the summer. 
Attempt: First

I know I am applying to a lot of schools but I really want to get in on my first attempt. If there are schools on my list that you think won't be accepting of my lower GPA and average GRE or if there are schools that I haven't listed that you think have a more holistic approach to admissions please let me know! Also, I have contemplated retaking the GRE but I have heard you can only raise your grade maybe 5 points and I don't know if a 305 vs. a 300 really makes a difference. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

8 hours ago, asharnaud said:

Undergrad: Louisiana State University, Kinesiology 

Graduate: Texas Woman's University, Kinesiology 

(Using the CASPA Excel Calculator)

Current CASPA Cumulative GPA: 3.02
Current CASPA Science GPA: 2.91

I will be taking 19 hours of pre-reqs before I apply (Chem I, Intro to Bio for Allied Health, Chem 2, Micro, and Genetics) and if I get a 4.0 this will be my GPA:

CASPA Cumulative GPA: 3.13
CASPA Science GPA: 3.16

Then I will be taking another 25 hours of science classes in the summer and fall to finish out a couple of pre-reqs and retake some courses (Ochem, Bio lab II, A&PI, A&PII, BioChem, Physics I, and Immunology) incase I don't get in this round and if I get a 4.0 this will be my GPA:

CASPA Cumulative GPA: 3.23
CASPA Science GPA: 3.35
GRE: 300 combined V151, Q149
PCE- 2500 as a PCT in Occupational Medical Clinic
Volunteer/Leadership: 100+ hours with various volunteer events 
LOR: 1 PA, 2 Doctors, 1 Nurse Practitioner
Shadowing: 150 hours in orthopedic surgery, Family, and Occupational Medicine

Applying to: Yale Online, UTMB, UT-Southwestern, UNT, Texas Tech, LSU-Shreveport, North Greenville University, Barry University, Sullivan University, University of Oklahoma, University of Washington-MEDEX, Missouri State University, Wichita State University, Emory University, Wingate University, Nova Southeastern University, University of Bridgeport, A.T. Still University, and Touro University. 

Submitted: Planning on applying in May 2018 before I take Ochem in the summer. 

I know I am applying to a lot of schools but I really want to get in on my first attempt. If there are schools on my list that you think won't be accepting of my lower GPA and average GRE or if there are schools that I haven't listed that you think have a more holistic approach to admissions please let me know! Also, I have contemplated retaking the GRE but I have heard you can only raise your grade maybe 5 points and I don't know if a 305 vs. a 300 really makes a difference. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

The GRE retake is a good idea. 305 is a huge difference from 300. Especially when your Q score is 149. Aim for a minimum of 150 or 50th percentile in each segment. On other things, it looks like you have a solid plan for if you don't get in and if you can maintain a 4.0 you will have a solid GPA improvement. The only one that I see is Emory that might be a stretch with your current stats. Keep in mind that it isn't all about the numbers, make sure your personal statement is solid and speaks to who you are.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, mmchick said:

Thought I'd give it a go, any feedback/comments are always welcome.

Undergrad: Virginia Tech

cGPA: 3.33 (one more semester left, hopefully will be ~3.4 by graduation)

sGPA: 3.24 (again one more semester left)

Age at application time: 21

GRE: V 158 (80%) | Q 154 (55%) | AW 4.0 (59%)

PCE:

Medical assistant for MD - 114 hours

NREMT-B for local EMS station - 800 hours

Volunteer/Research

NIH/NIAID - Tuberculosis biomedical research - 320 hours

NIH/NHLBI - Muscular energetics/kinematics biomedical research - 480 hours

Undergrad TA - Genetics

Shadowing MD at Children's National in DC - 56 hours

Health peer educator at VT - 192 hours

Substance abuse peer coach at VT - 50 hours

Deans List (4 semesters)

AMSA (American Medical Student Association) - national member

LORS:

Lieutenant Captain (EMT-I/ER Medic), Administrative Captain (EMT-B), former biology professor, health peer supervisor, and research PI

(also have LOR from MD that I worked for, but have made note of his unavailability through contact and have custody of former LOR he wrote me)

Schools Applied to:

Northeastern University, Northwestern University, PhilaU (Thomas Jefferson), James Madison, and Duke

Application submission:

Early-to-mid June

Interview Invites:will update

Denied: PhilaU

hi your post was super helpful to read- I feel rather old to be starting my PA application journey and any information helps! I was wondering if you had an excel sheet of all the PA schools and their requirements- that would be amazing! please let me know

thank you!

12 hours ago, PACrankset said:

The GRE retake is a good idea. 305 is a huge difference from 300. Especially when your Q score is 149. Aim for a minimum of 150 or 50th percentile in each segment. On other things, it looks like you have a solid plan for if you don't get in and if you can maintain a 4.0 you will have a solid GPA improvement. The only one that I see is Emory that might be a stretch with your current stats. Keep in mind that it isn't all about the numbers, make sure your personal statement is solid and speaks to who you are.

Thank you for the advice! I will look more into Emory and see if they are worth applying to this round. My personal statement is going to be a tear jerker for sure. 

• 6 months later...

Any feedback is welcome!

My stats:

Undergrad: Arizona State University

cGPA: 3.77

sGPA: 3.84

Age at application time: 33

PCE: 10,000+ as a renal dietitian

Volunteer/Research: 50 hours at a women's shelter

Awards/Honors/Memberships: Outstanding Graduate Award

LORS: MD, manager who is an RN, professor/director of nutrition program

Schools Applied to:

University of Utah, ATSU, UNR, Pacific University, EVMS

Application verified this morning

What do you guys think my odds of getting in are? It is my first cycle applying and I had two bad semesters early on in an unrelated major but have completely rejuvenated my academic career since choosing a healthcare path and wanting to become a PA my stats are 

cGPA: 3.35

sGPA: 3.92

GRE: 300 (152V) (147Q) 5.5 writing 

PCE: student athletic trainer with direct patient involvement in rehab, treatment and diagnosis: 1050 hours.

volunteer: 540 hours volunteer high school track coach 

8 hours first aider: Games for the physically challenged.

shadowing: 32 hours in the ER under a PA

6 hours: MD in urgent care

6 hours: NP in student health center

45 hours: MD ortho and ortho surgeon 

awards/leadership: 5 presidents lists

1 deans list

2 deans list with honors

4 departmental awards/scholarships

Phi theta kappa honor society 

Tau sigma honor society

sports med club president 

research presentation at college wide conference on tibiofemoral dislocations.

applying: SUNY upstate, Thomas Jefferson, Chatham, LIU Brooklyn, D’youville, RIT, Franklin Pierce, West Liberty

Accepted: who knows?!

Undergrad Ed School: CSU- Dominguez Hills

Major: Cellular and Molecular Biology

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.55

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.47

Age at application time: 23

GRE: 149V 151Q     4.5

Direct Patient Care: 

~1400 Physical Therapist Aide

~110 Clinical Care Extender

Total: 1510 hours

Volunteer/Leadership:     

~90 Blood Donor Ambassador

~15 Signature Gatherer for Animal Rights

~144 March of Dimes

~105 Spark of Love

~10 Raising money for Breast and Ovarian Cancer Research

~4 Heal the Bay

Total: 368 hours

Research:

~ 468 Research Associate

Shadowing:

~ 94 Pediatric Orthopedic PA

Organizations: Alpha Gamma Delta, California Academy of PAs

Letters of Rec: 4

Schools Applied: 14: Chapman, Touro Nevada, ATSU, Weill Cornell, Charles Drew, Dominican, Hofstra, SUNY Upstate, Cal Baptist, LIU Brooklyn, UC Davis, Marshall B Ketchum, LeMoyne, SCUHS

Application Submitted Date: 5/16-6/7

Application Verified: 5/16-6/7

Interview Invites: Dominican University, ATSU, LeMoyne 

Denied w/o interview: Touro Nevada, Chapman, SUNY Upstate, UC Davis, MBKU

Rejected after interview: Dominican

Withdrew Application: LeMoyne

Waitlisted: 

Accepted: AT Still University!

Attending: 

Attempt: 1st

Edited by californiahopefulpa

Undergrad Ed School: AASU 

Major: Rehabilitation Science (physical therapy)

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.22

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.28

Age at application time: 29

GRE: 151V 152Q     5.0

Direct Patient Care: Medical assistant 7000 hours, Physical therapy tech 6500 hours

13000+ hours

Volunteer/Leadership:     

Soccer coach academy/ymca/recreation

380 hours

Research: none

Shadowing: PA/surgery/MD 750 hours

Letters of Rec: 4 MDs (2) PA, Manager

Schools Applied:  South U savannah, South College Atlanta, NGU, HPU, Elon U, MUSC, PCOM Ga, Augusta, Emory, GWU

Application Submitted Date: 5/4/18

Application Verified: 5/7/18

Interview Invites: GWU

Denied w/o interview: Emory

Rejected after interview:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted: 

Accepted: 

Attending: 

Attempt: 

• 3 weeks later...

Undergrad School: Auburn University, University of North Alabama

Major: Professional Finance

Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.44

Cumulative Undergrad Science GPA: 3.43

Age at application time: 26

GRE: 149 Verbal, 156 Math, 4.0 Analytical Writing

Direct Patient Care: OR Clinical Assistant (1,750+ hours and counting)

•    Experience in the operating room including operating a fluoroscopic C-arm, operating an ultrasound, drawing medications, performing blood glucose tests, and prepping patients during vascular surgery and interventional pain management procedures.
•    Experience performing nerve conduction studies (NCS) and assisting with electromyography (EMG) tests.
•    Experience assisting with new patient visits including triaging, collecting urine samples, taking medical history, obtaining a history of a patient’s present illness, scribing for the physician, explaining treatment procedures to patients, making prescriptions, making imaging orders, entering patient medical history and plan of care into EHR, and discharging the patient.
•    Experience in triage including taking a blood pressure and pulse, collecting urine drug screens, collecting oral drug screens, performing pill counts, conducting a comfort assessment, obtaining a pain score, confirming pharmacy and primary care providers, and reviewing current medications.
•    Experience assisting the physician with a CTEV laser during endovenous laser ablations.

Volunteer/Leadership: ~2,000+ hours

Soles4Souls        
• Helped to raise over 500 pairs of shoes for disaster relief.    

Baptist Medical and Dental Mission International   
• Traveled on a medical mission trip to Honduras and assisted two Honduran dentists.

African Library Project        
• Led and organized a book drive to start a children’s library in Ghana.  

Pre-Health Peer Mentor            
• Assisted pre-health students in developing meaningful academic and extra-curricular four-year plans in addition to preparing them to apply to their designated graduate schools.

SOAR Orientation Recruiter            
• Educated high school and transfer students about university services, resources, and involvement opportunities.    

Extracurriculars: 

Alpha Epsilon Delta
Vice President, Historian, Founding Officer            
•    National Health Pre-Professional Honor Society
•    Formerly known as Pre-Health Club
•    Founding member and officer
•    Held officer position of Vice President
•    Held officer position of Historian

Pre-Health Club
Founding Member            

•   Student-led organization founded with the purpose of providing its members with the skills and opportunities to enhance their academic, networking and clinical skills in pursuit of a health-related profession. It has since been transitioned over into what is now Alpha Epsilon Delta, a national health pre-professional honor society.

Pi Sigma Epsilon
•    National co-ed fraternity for sales, marketing, and management professionals.

LionCom 
Treasurer, Founding Member            
•    Speech and communication club
•    Held officer position of Treasurer

Research: None

Shadowing: 21 hours with Pain & Rehabilitation PA and a Trauma/Burn ER PA

Organizations: Alpha Epsilon Delta, Baptist Medical and Dental Mission International, UNA Pre-Health Club, Pi Sigma Epsilon, American Heart Association

Letters of Rec: 4 total (2 MDs, 1 work supervisor, 1 academic advisor/professor)

Schools Applied: 19

Application Verified: July 27th - July 31st (varies per school)

Interview Invites: 6 as of 10/17/18; South University Richmond, South College Atlanta, South College Nashville, University of Tampa, University of South Alabama, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences

Denied w/o interview: Duke University, South University Savannah Campus, South University Tampa Campus, Samford University

Rejected after interview:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted: South University Richmond, South College Atlanta

Accepted: 

Attending: 

Attempt: 1st

It's also worth noting I have 11 withdrawals on my transcript. I really hope that doesn't work against me since they were early on.

Edited by Ollivander
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Undergrad: Cal State Long Beach, B.A. Human Development

CASPA Cumulative GPA: 3.34
(didn't do well freshman year 1.7 GPA, last 60 3.7 GPA)

CASPA Science GPA: 3.43
GRE: V152 (56%), Q151 (42%), W5.0 (92%)

PCE:
MA in multi-specialty clinic, rotated between 30+ practitioners - 1400 hours 

Surgical Assistant in plastic surgery office - 1450 hours
Internship for MA certification in cardiologist office - 240 hours

Volunteer/Leadership:
Executive Intern at Non-profit working with at-risk youth - 96 hours
Volunteer Coordinator in Hospice - 60 hours
Soup Kitchen Volunteer - 80 hours
Recreational Volunteer at Senior Center - 270 hours

3-week volunteer/study abroad in S. Africa working with students and orphans throughout the townships

Awards:
Departmental Student of the Month 
Departmental Honors (3.5+ GPA in major)
Presidents List

LOR: 1 PA, 1 Surgeon, 1 Professor (nominated me for Student of the Month)

Shadowing: 
20 hours - DO
30 hours - Orthopedic PA
40 hours - Orthopedic Surgeon

Applying to: FIFTEEN DIFFERENT SCHOOLS 
(maybe a bit overboard, but I'm nervous since my GPA is on the lower end and because I submitted very late in the cycle. I honestly hope there is still a chance.)

Interview invites: (3) SCUHS, Loma Linda, Touro U. CA
Denied: All except 2
Withdrawn Application: Will Update
Waitlisted: SCUHS & Loma Linda
Accepted: no acceptances this cycle

Edited by hopefulmomma
Updated application status

• 10 months later...

Undergrad Ed School: Florida International University

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.04

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.44

Last 60 Credits: GPA: 3.97

Age at application time : 29

GRE: N/A

Direct Patient Care : (type & hours) 

PCE: 14k hours as a paramedic

Extracurricular/Research Activities:

Leadership: Paramedic instructor, Lead Lifeguard, Youth Group Leader - 2k hours

Volunteer: 1000 hours

LOR: 1 PA, 1 Physician  (my medical director), 1 Chemistry Professor, 1 Captain at the FD (RN and EMT-P)

Schools Applied: 13

Gannon University (Ruskin), University of Utah, Northeastern, University of Tampa, Augsburg, Loma Linda, Marshall B Ketchum, University of South Dakota, Southern California University of Health Sciences, MCPHS (worcester), EVMS, Marist University, South College Atlanta 

Application Submitted Date: 2nd week of July

Interview Invites: Gannon University

Denied: Campbell

Edited by johncfl

• 4 months later...

Hoping I can update this to an acceptance this year, but already planning if I dont get in to up my GPA. Ive been on this website since 2016 (pretty sad, thats how long Ive been trying) so hopefully I get in someone soon! This is stats for this application cycle, which is my total 2nd time applying

Undergrad: University of Central Florida, BS in Sports and Exercise Science - Also graduated from UCF LEAD Scholars program, a 2 year program part of UCF that emphasizes leadership during college

cGPA: 3.26 😕

sGPA: 3.21

GRE: 306 , 5.0 writing (Cant remember the percentiles)

PCE:

EMT in Emergency Department - about 40 hours (still employed there)

EMT-B for ambulance company (about 800 hours)

HCE:

~4000 hours as ED scribe (and trainer) - I applied to schools that used scribing as PCE hours

Other experience:

Retails Sales Associate ~3000 hours

Guest Services for local sports team ~1000 hours

Volunteer/Research

Rescue pet shelter ~70 hours

Cardiology office ~25 hours

Scribe at locla nonprofit health clinic ~ just had orientation last week

Deans List (2 semesters)

Bright Futures

Extracirriculars

3 years in community orchestra (based my PS on similarities between music and medicine and spent like 7 months on it so super proud of it)

LORS:

1 MD, 1 ER PA, 1 Cardiology PA, 1 EMT professor 

Schools Applied to:

NOVA Ft myers, NOVA jax, NOVA orlando, Adventist, Barry Miami, South University Tampa, USF

Application submission:

End of June

Interview Invites: will update

Denied: USF, South U

Attempt: second

Like I said, I plan on redoing classes to up my GPA next year while accruing more PCE hours and plan on staying in my orchestra. Possibly will retake the GRE. Any other advice? 

Edited by Patricia5827
Updated volunteer area

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 12:35 PM, Patricia5827 said:

Hoping I can update this to an acceptance this year, but already planning if I dont get in to up my GPA. Ive been on this website since 2016 (pretty sad, thats how long Ive been trying) so hopefully I get in someone soon! This is stats for this application cycle, which is my total 2nd time applying

Undergrad: University of Central Florida, BS in Sports and Exercise Science - Also graduated from UCF LEAD Scholars program, a 2 year program part of UCF that emphasizes leadership during college

cGPA: 3.26 😕

sGPA: 3.21

GRE: 306 , 5.0 writing (Cant remember the percentiles)

PCE:

EMT in Emergency Department - about 40 hours (still employed there)

EMT-B for ambulance company (about 800 hours)

HCE:

~4000 hours as ED scribe (and trainer) - I applied to schools that used scribing as PCE hours

Other experience:

Retails Sales Associate ~3000 hours

Guest Services for local sports team ~1000 hours

Volunteer/Research

Rescue pet shelter ~70 hours

Cardiology office ~25 hours

Scribe at locla nonprofit health clinic ~ just had orientation last week

Deans List (2 semesters)

Bright Futures

Extracirriculars

3 years in community orchestra (based my PS on similarities between music and medicine and spent like 7 months on it so super proud of it)

LORS:

1 MD, 1 ER PA, 1 Cardiology PA, 1 EMT professor 

Schools Applied to:

NOVA Ft myers, NOVA jax, NOVA orlando, Adventist, Barry Miami, South University Tampa, USF

Application submission:

End of June

Interview Invites: will update

Denied: USF, South U

Attempt: second

Like I said, I plan on redoing classes to up my GPA next year while accruing more PCE hours and plan on staying in my orchestra. Possibly will retake the GRE. Any other advice? 

I honestly think if you had broadened the amount of schools you applied to you would have been accepted. Are you oppose to moving out of Florida? If so, why didn’t you apply to all FL schools?