Links to Personal PA Journeys

• 2 months later...

I'm a current PA student and just wanted to include links to a few references that helped me make my decision, as well as current links that could help you! Also, if you haven't heard of LifeAsAPA (Andrea Arnold) go and follow her on all social media accounts...she's a PA in the PICU and is awesome!

This video is a compilation of when our class did a Snapchat takeover and I think it really gives you  great inside look to our daily lives and classes!

This is a video our school put together and it highlights the amazing facilities we have and also interviews current students who might help answer your questions!

• 2 months later...

Danielle,

That was a great read! I'm a 26 year old sophomore in college and just changed my route from engineering after not enjoying calculus 3 and some other classes and realizing what I would be doing for a living, and when I was introduced to the PA profession by my cousin who's a PT it really opened my eyes and after research it was a "sign me up!" kind of feeling. I'll probably be around 28/29 when I finish the prereq and HCE process but reading stories like yours really put things into perspective. I'm glad you're doing what you enjoy and feel you serve the right purpose :) Congratulations, hope the debt has become manageable and good luck with your continuing medicine practice! Oh, and Merry Christmas!

-MS

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the middle of didactic year and just launched a new blog that will encompass a lot of helpful PA school advice, information, and fun related content. the blog is http://www.balancingchina.com 

If you want to subscribe, you will be notified of any new posts. As new content gets published, it will help prepare you for school and give you some insight into what didactic year (and beyond) is like! 

My goal is to encourage those of us who are thinking about applying and are overwhelmed and to share real PA school life. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Great graduation quote from Kumail Nanjiani's commencement speech at Grinnell College this month. He is currently in the show "Silicon Valley":

“I never thought big picture,” Nanjiani said. “That would have overwhelming. So what I’m saying is, you can go slow. Allow your dreams and goals to change, but live an intentional life.”

He continued: “Here’s the big secret I’ve learned in the last few years: Nobody knows what they’re doing ... Everybody’s winging it out there. Some people are just better at pretending to be confident because nobody’s done ― nobody’s cooked.”

• 1 month later...

Still in progress, but worth posting for the non traditional student, parents, or major career changers.

Was pre med in college (2004-2008) and getting burnt out on school mid junior year. Senior year, husband deployed to Iraq and younger brother passed away suddenly in a car accident. Spent months in grief counseling, dropped all plans of further education, finished my bachelors degree, and took a job at an aerospace company.

Wow, corporate work is kind of boring. It isn't for me. Transitioned from an R&D position to a program support job. Better, but really not what I wanted to do with my life. Began taking some of the prerequisites I needed for PA school. Was derailed when instructed to get an engineering masters (paid for by my company, with a 24 month service retention after). Finished that 3 years later and had our first child at 27. Mapped out a plan for PA school. Those darn PCE hours sure look hard to fit in. In 2014 and 2015, finished prerequisites for school (finally! Hooray for community college distance ed classes!). In 2015, had our son at 29.  Returned to work 3 months later, and had a total and complete breakdown about returning to work in the corporate world. Legit sobbing on the floor about my career. Decided to take on a night/weekend PT job in an ER as a medical scribe. Let me tell you—explaining to your college student coworkers that the mid shift break you keep taking is a pumping break, and having to ask your physician for a break to go pump milk is a whole lotta fun. Turns out, even some physicians are uncomfortable with the topic. Continued to work both jobs for 6 months and got the required minimum hours for PA school, then quit. Kept working my engineering job in the meantime to pay for daycare, keep healthcare, and save money for school. Applied to school. Singular. One school. Was waitlisted, then accepted for SLU’s class of 2019. I’ll be 31, and one of only two moms in the class. My kids are 2 and 4.

• Upvote 4

On 7/6/2017 at 9:57 AM, unicorns said:

Still in progress, but worth posting for the non traditional student, parents, or major career changers.

Was pre med in college (2004-2008) and getting burnt out on school mid junior year. Senior year, husband deployed to Iraq and younger brother passed away suddenly in a car accident. Spent months in grief counseling, dropped all plans of further education, finished my bachelors degree, and took a job at an aerospace company.

Wow, corporate work is kind of boring. It isn't for me. Transitioned from an R&D position to a program support job. Better, but really not what I wanted to do with my life. Began taking some of the prerequisites I needed for PA school. Was derailed when instructed to get an engineering masters (paid for by my company, with a 24 month service retention after). Finished that 3 years later and had our first child at 27. Mapped out a plan for PA school. Those darn PCE hours sure look hard to fit in. In 2014 and 2015, finished prerequisites for school (finally! Hooray for community college distance ed classes!). In 2015, had our son at 29.  Returned to work 3 months later, and had a total and complete breakdown about returning to work in the corporate world. Legit sobbing on the floor about my career. Decided to take on a night/weekend PT job in an ER as a medical scribe. Let me tell you—explaining to your college student coworkers that the mid shift break you keep taking is a pumping break, and having to ask your physician for a break to go pump milk is a whole lotta fun. Turns out, even some physicians are uncomfortable with the topic. Continued to work both jobs for 6 months and got the required minimum hours for PA school, then quit. Kept working my engineering job in the meantime to pay for daycare, keep healthcare, and save money for school. Applied to school. Singular. One school. Was waitlisted, then accepted for SLU’s class of 2019. I’ll be 31, and one of only two moms in the class. My kids are 2 and 4.

Fantastic! You obviously have the relentless trait down pat! Best wishes on success in school and beyond.