PA-S Case Study

I'm concerned about the increasing blood pressure, would you give mannitol or lopressor?

If you have capnography available,  titrate the respiratory rate to co2 of 35-40

Does neurosurgery determine it's operable?  

Monitor to ensure she stays sedated and no seizure activity

Which drugs did you use for the RSI?

Etomidate/sux for RSI, with a dose of fentanyl post-ET.  Had propofol primed and ready if the patient became agitated, but neurology asked us to withhold sedation unless it became necessary to monitor the patients neurologic exam; unfortunately due to the nature of the pathology sedation was not necessary.

We did use continuous waveform capnography, but with an initial ETCO2 goal of 30.  With the evidence of increasing ICP we aimed for some relative hypocarbia.  Mannitol was given, along with a bullet of hypertonic saline, and the HOB was raised to 30 degrees.  This resulted in the patient regaining corneal reflexes and cessation of posturing.

BP control is definitely an issue in a case like this.  Lopressor is one option, but we started a nicardipine drip.  This is easier to titrate than boluses of a beta blocker, and we achieved the target SBP of 160.

Neurosurgery elected to do a ventriculostomy at bedside; the initial ICP's were in the 30's but were soon down to the 10-15 range.  She remained relatively stable, and was admitted to the Neuro ICU.

Not much of a zebra case here, but it does illustrate one big point for new PA's coming into EM.  This patient was originally billed as "alcohol intoxication".  It can be very easy to blow off this kind of patient, especially in a busy ED.  With the wrong kind of triage nurse, this type of patient might get parked in a corner and put at the back of the chart rack.  Especially for the patient who is too obtunded to give you the history, be sure to keep a broad differential for AMS; not everyone is "just a drunk".

If she were THAT intoxicated, wouldn't she reek of etoh? She didn't have any signs of TCA od. Afebrile, vss. Narcan with no effect. All that keeps a hard press to primary brain/cns patho. Great case, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the back and forth!

Steve PA-C, Maine, urologic surgery

Not much of a zebra case here, but it does illustrate one big point for new PA's coming into EM.  This patient was originally billed as "alcohol intoxication".  It can be very easy to blow off this kind of patient, especially in a busy ED.  With the wrong kind of triage nurse, this type of patient might get parked in a corner and put at the back of the chart rack.  Especially for the patient who is too obtunded to give you the history, be sure to keep a broad differential for AMS; not everyone is "just a drunk".

I'll chip in and agree. I work in an ED that sees a ton of young, drunk, college kids, and they all begin to look the same. We had a 20's young lady that was brought in "code ETOH", but her drunk friend kept insisting that the patient had not drank very much. Fortunately because of gestalt or whatever you want to call it, our staff did not delay care; she had a large bleed ostensibly caused by a stressful event an hour previous and arrested in the room not 5 minutes after she was brought in. We barely had begun our workup. She lived out of the ED.

Even if they are drunk, intoxicated people are a great source for occult pathology.

I'll chip in and agree. I work in an ED that sees a ton of young, drunk, college kids, and they all begin to look the same. We had a 20's young lady that was brought in "code ETOH", but her drunk friend kept insisting that the patient had not drank very much. Fortunately because of gestalt or whatever you want to call it, our staff did not delay care; she had a large bleed ostensibly caused by a stressful event an hour previous and arrested in the room not 5 minutes after she was brought in. We barely had begun our workup. She lived out of the ED.

Even if they are drunk, intoxicated people are a great source for occult pathology.

My experience was a sad case of middle aged female brought in 'drunk' per neighbor by EMS. She was aphasic and hemiparetic to go along with her severe thrombotic stroke. Got TPA at the 3 hr mark per neuro recommendation, bled that night and expired next day. 

In any altered mental state case, first priority is ABC. Then check glucose. Anyone under 60 gets narcan. Between heroin, fentanyl patches, oxycodone, et al, opiate od is rampantly making a comeback.

G Brothers PA-C

My experience was a sad case of middle aged female brought in 'drunk' per neighbor by EMS. She was aphasic and hemiparetic to go along with her severe thrombotic stroke. Got TPA at the 3 hr mark per neuro recommendation, bled that night and expired next day. 

In any altered mental state case, first priority is ABC. Then check glucose. Anyone under 60 gets narcan. Between heroin, fentanyl patches, oxycodone, et al, opiate od is rampantly making a comeback.

G Brothers PA-C

Making a comeback?  It's a full force gale storm at this point.  Thankfully we at least have a tried-and-true drug to treat it

I've triaged before and seen many ETOH/drug abuse patients presenting with similar symptoms but with that GCS and posturing I would have thrown up hemorrhage on the DDX rather quickly. I am sure some triage nurses might have put her  down as a 3-4 but to me the presentation wasn't routine enough to tossthem in the waiting room.

Even though the answers have already been stated I would have gotten:

Vitals

BG

ABGs (possibly paged neuro/pulm for a heads up), gotten tube set ready

Narcan

I-STAT, EKG, Ammonia, lactate blah blah

STAT CT w/o contrast

BAC

Straight cath for tox

BC x2

Not exactly all in this order, anything glaring I miss?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived