Emory PA Postgraduate Cardiothoracic Surgical Residency Program

Hello All:

I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself and inform readers of the PA Forum about Emory’s PA Postgraduate Cardiothoracic Surgical Residency Program. My name is Christopher Nickum and I am the Program Director and Founding Chair of the program. I have been a PA in Cardiothoracic Surgery for almost 15-years and have been involved in teaching for the past 8-years, culminating with the creation of this program which has been a project of mine for the past 6-years. I am honored to be working with a group of some of the most talented PAs in Cardiothoracic Surgery, all of whom are involved in the operations of the program and will contribute to your success in our program.

The Emory Physician Assistant (PA) Postgraduate Cardiothoracic Surgical Residency is an intensive one-year educational program that accepts two PA residents per year; one in January and another in August of each calendar year. Affiliated with the Emory University School of Medicine PA Program, the residency is comprised of concomitant didactic and clinical components intended to augment the PA's primary training with advanced training in cardiothoracic surgery. The didactic portion of the program, delivered via Blackboard.com, consists of pre-recorded lectures, scheduled readings, and power point presentations with subsequent written examinations. PA residents will also attend various clinical conferences, monthly grand rounds, and weekly lecture series with cardiothoracic surgical fellows. Cadaveric and animal laboratory training, vascular suturing, tissue dissection and closure, and endoscopic vessel harvesting techniques are also included in the clinical curriculum.

The PA residency, created in accordance with the published Accreditation Standards for Clinical Postgraduate PA Programs by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA), plans to apply for accreditation in the Summer of 2011. The program is based out of the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery's Emory University Hospital Midtown location in Atlanta, GA, with rotations at WellStar Kennestone Hospital and Emory University Hospital for thoracic aortic surgery, heart transplant, and ventricular assist devices, and Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston for congenital and pediatric cardiac surgery. The Department of Surgery's Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery is nationally renowned, performing over 2,200 adult cardiac cases, 900 thoracic cases, and 800 congenital heart cases annually.

For more information about the program and to download a program brochure and application, please visit our website at: http://www.surgery.emory.edu/divisions/cardiothoracic-surgery/PA_postgrad_cardio_residency.html.

I am also happy to answer any questions that forum readers may have about our program or residency training in general. Feel free to either respond on this forum or email me at christopher.nickum@emoryhealthcare.org.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Congratulations, this is very exciting! I am in the process of interviewing for PA schools to start in spring with the intention of fulfilling a CT residency afterwards. Do you have any recommendations on specific PA programs that you draw from? Or how to prepare myself throughout PA school for your program?

Thank you,

Kate

Guest raedd83

Ive been doing a big research about Emory Cardiothoracic program since the first day of PA school, i asked my instructors and they recommended this program over others. I read alot about the area and the hospital and the staff, its one of the best in the united states, Its no. 1 on my list. Ive been a registered nurse for 7 years worked in cardiothoracic surgeries, critical care and emergency department. After all these years i realized Cardio-thoracic surgery is my passion, it actually runs in my blood lol, thats why ive been researching over and over to get into the best program .I knew im gona be a PA in that field when i graduate. i will finish my first year in september and start clinical rotations but im actually working on the application from now as much as im excited about this particular program. I highly recommend it. i will submit the application for august next year.

God bless

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest raedd83

Congratulations, i already sent my application early this year for january start, i graduate in September. Been waiting june deadline. I would take any advice you give :) this is the only program i applied to and been preparing for it from the first day i started PA school. I have an extensive experience in cardiac and ICU critical care ( 7 years RN).

Thank you and good luck

• 4 weeks later...
Guest raedd83

Hello Mr. Nickum

I submitted my application very early in january this year and i got an email from patty Joy that my application was recieved with all the necessary requirements and to expect a call from you after reviewing my application. I applied for january start 2013. Im from Loma linda university california, and i will graduate in september 2012. My name is Raed.

Guest raedd83

Hello Mr. Nickum

I submitted my application very early in january this year and i got an email from patty Joy that my application was recieved with all the necessary requirements and to expect a call from you after reviewing my application. I applied for january start 2013. Im from Loma linda university california, and i will graduate in september 2012. My name is Raed.

Archived