Accept Offer vs. Try Again... Need Advice

I applied to PA school for the first time last year.  I got my applications in pretty late in the cycle, but was still offered 3 interviews.  I was placed on waitlists for all 3 schools. 

In the mean time, my wife decided on PA school as well and has an opportunity to get 1/2 off tuition on her prerequisites (she already has her B.S.), she just started a job as a psych tech, and we just signed a year-long lease.  It seemed unlikely that I would be accepted at that point, and we thought we'd just plan on me re-applying earlier on in the cycle to improve my odds, as well as fine-tune my interview skillls, and add to my healthcare hours. It seemed that, if anything, this extra time would improve my application.  We had to make some decisions due to deadlines and, maybe sort of rashly, decided even if I was accepted, we'd still hold off and reapply.

This week I received an offer from an extension campus of a school where I was waitlisted.  It wasn't my top pick by any means, but it's the only acceptance I received.  Now that the offer is actually in my hands, we're wondering if turning it down would be a bad decision.  On the one hand, waiting another year will allow her to get caught up and ready to apply fairly quickly and inexpensively through our current connections.  And, in theory, I should be a better candidate, having gained more healthcare hours and putting the apps in early. On the other hand, I would be turning down a secured opportunity.  And I'll be done with school sooner and a PA sooner.  I'll get to be done with the whole application process finally.  And, of course, there is always the risk of not getting accepted again.  My wife would probably have to put things on hold, however, because the school is in a very, very rural location. There are limited healthcare jobs available there and the only local school she could do her pre-reqs at is super expensive.  So it seems like there are pros and cons for both of us in both scenarios.

Fortunately, we are on the same page about it.  We want to do what's best... we just aren't sure what that is.  We want to invest in both of our careers, but also not gamble with either of them.

I guess, what I'm wondering is, would a school fault me for turning down an offer?  Is getting an acceptance your second time around harder than the first time?  Has anyone been in a similar situation trying to accommodate two careers?  Any suggestions?  I have a 325 on my GRE and a 3.65 GPA. So, I guess I'm kind of an average applicant.  What are your thoughts?

First of all, congratulations on having options. It’s a good thing.

I personally don’t see turning down an acceptance as a bad thing. You got in once and you should be able to get in somewhere again -- hopefully somewhere that will be best for the both of you. You shouldn’t be tainted because you made a family decision. Your grades are good and, next year, you will have one year more of experience, as well as being able to apply earlier in the cycle. If I got in in my late 50s, one more year for you is no big deal!

A lot of people who aren’t married may not understand it, but turning down an offer now to optimize both of your lives would not be a bad decision. In any event, whatever decision you and your wife choose is only yours to make. 

Best wishes no matter what you choose.

Congratulation!

Considering your GPA and GRE score, I would say you are an above average applicant if you have decent HCE hours.  So, if you did pass up this (great) opportunity you would have a good chance of getting in next year.

Wish you the best!

That's one less year of PA salary that you're going to be delaying without any guarantees you're going to be accepted this upcoming application cycle. Just throwing that out there.

I was only accepted to 1 school in a similar situation where I didn't plan in getting in that year and also had a lease that had to be broken. Not to mention my wife just landed a dream job. My stats weren't good however so that is where we differ.

The school that accepted me was out of state, cost 2x more than the program I wanted to go to, but had a better PANCE pass / attrition rate, and it was going to result in me being away from my wife and daughter (requiring them to move in with family since I'd be out of state). I chose to go the out of state program and have no regrets about it.

The question you need to ask yourself is would you regret not taking this acceptance if you didn't get into another program this upcoming application cycle. If the answer is that you're indifferent and can wait then by all means pass. If the answer is you'd regret it then I'd say take it.

None of the schools need to know you gave up an acceptance (aside from the institution that issued you one).

I agree with others that your stats are pretty strong. Be sure to give your wife's stats a good appraisal before you hinge your plans around her getting into PA school. 

As far as money goes, just sit down and do the math: One year's PA salary minus one year of salary for whatever you're doing now minus added tuition costs minus cost of breaking lease, etc. If you do the math you might (or might not) find that you still come out in the positive. One year's salary as a PA may just be a big enough number to offset all those other variables.

When you've made new plans that you're happy and comfortable with it can be hard to reverse them and chart a new course. Inertia governs the behavior of humans as much as objects. It is a law of social psychology that once you've sacrificed something (e.g. signed a lease) to go on a path then you start to think that path is better than you would if you looked at it objectively. However, you applied to this school for a reason. At one point you wanted to go there. I personally think you should take the plunge.

The only scenario where I would absolutely say that you should deny the acceptance is if it's coming from a school that I'm on the waitlist for. If that's the case, you should definitely turn it down.

A year's worth of wages "lost" might not be as important as your family's happiness in the long run. In the scheme of life, whats one more year? Do what you think will work out best for you and your family. If you got in once why can't you get in again? I assume you will only become a better applicant with time.

I don't think that optimizing one's life to make the maximum amount of money is necessarily the prescription for a happy life.

It's a consideration to be sure, but quite often it's the people in our lives who make the difference, not the money. If there is a shot to be in the same general area as your wife while you're going to school, that might be an important consideration.

The divorce rate during and after PA school is a non-trivial number.

Archived