OBGYN rotation advice

So I am currently on my obgyn rotation.  The owner of the facility has informed me that I am not allowed to inform the doctors, staff or patients that I am a PA student but reply that I am an MA student. I can't wear my white coat while on rotation either. I mostly finish writing in charts, stock rooms and take vitals. I have completed one vaginal exam that NP let me do when the owner was not there.  What can I do? I know as a student Im at the bottom but having to lie about my student status just kills me. I have worked very hard to be a PA-S2 and i dont think I can last 6 weeks here and keep quiet.

You need to talk to your faculty advisor or clinical coordinator so they can fix the problem or get you out of there. You are paying the school to provide you with quality rotation sites so get them involved. Why would this place want you to lie about what type of student you are anyway?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What does your preceptor have to say about this?  That is the first person you need to talk to;  if he or she doesn't get this corrected with an immediate discussion with the owner, then you need to call your program.  Your clinical advisor needs to step in to get this corrected.  This is a difficult situation because as a student you are most likely paying tens of thousands of dollars for your education and to get handed a rotation like this is BS.  On the flip side, you then have to hope your program will take action and be able to get it corrected for you; the likelihood that they have a contingency plan for you may be slim, and then you have to face potentially a late graduation because this rotation couldn't be fulfilled.  So sorry you are having to deal with this.  Is this a first-time site for your program ?  Best of luck to you.

completely unacceptable. that site should lose its accreditation!

as a pa student on obgyn rotation you should be doing LOTS of pelvics, 1st assisting c-sections, and delivering babies. pas on rotations should be indistinguishable in their duties from med students on rotations regardless of the rotation. that is complete bs! can you imagine a med student being treated like that?

Totally Unacceptable! Never heard of such thing. Is the NP or the MD your preceptor? Is it leadership fight issues and you're caught in between? Was the facility owner made aware of you or your program rotating there? Did you upset someone or did s/thing wrong? These are the questions I would ask or sort out.

completely unacceptable. that site should lose its accreditation!

as a pa student on obgyn rotation you should be doing LOTS of pelvics, 1st assisting c-sections, and delivering babies. pas on rotations should be indistinguishable in their duties from med students on rotations regardless of the rotation. that is complete bs! can you imagine a med student being treated like that?

Yes, I can. I have friends describe this and worse at a OB clinical site where the PA student and DO student were treated the same. By that I mean very poorly. Pelvics only done during surgery, never saw a patient in clinic, ect.

Some places should just be black listed from being clinical sites for anyone.

It behooves you to stop this immediately! Don't be quite - make some NOISE - LOUD NOISE! As a PA-S as yourself and future PAs like myself and others YOU need MUST pay it forward. Keep us posted as I would like to know the outcome. People like this need to be stopped ASAP. FWIW, I have your back!!!  5usFr71.jpgDon't sit on the sidelines and watch. I hope that people will see that we don't have to sit by the sidelines anymore 

Some places should just be black listed from being clinical sites for anyone.[/quote
^^This, a thousand times over, this. If this rotation site isn't eliminated immediately then that sounds like a lazy clinical coordinator.

To me it sounds like some BIG ego trip and everyone is too scared to report him because of some repercussions - Don't let him get it away with this. Something tells me he has been doing this a LONG time, intimidating others. Don't let him bully you! Make US ALL proud! BTW, you need to ask yourself this question, are you going to play or are you gonna sit on the sidelines? 

I cant imagine how heartbroken a PA student interested in working in OB would be having to go through such a site!!! you MUST say something, if not entirely for yourself then for all the students who will be there after you. Also, I know my program had a requirement that my ID must say Physician Assistant Student at all times and I would be violating my program's rules if I took said badge off and introduced myself as anything other than a PA student.

Archived