Medical Ethics vs. Health Law and Ethics

I'm looking at taking a Health Law and Ethics online course at a 4-year institution but I was not sure if schools accept this as Medical Ethics. I would imagine most of the topics blend. Has anyone taken a similar approach?

If not, are there any online institutions offering Medical Ethics?

In that case, based solely on their names, I don't see much of a difference between the two courses. Both of them will offer material relevant to your professional growth. In general it's better to take in-class courses at your home institution, especially if you're taking a full course load. When you take credits a multiple institutions it is more difficult for adcoms to see that they were all taken at the same time, and that could work against you (it certainly worked against me). If you're just taking the one course then take whichever one you want.

Ethics is usually a very discussion-oriented course and I think it would suck the fun out of it to take it online. Plus, you get to meet chicks when you take it in class. I would go with the first choice, but that's just me.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting that you mentioned that second part... I am actually in a similar situation. I am enrolled at 4 institutions taking mainly online classes because I already graduated (3 online courses, 2 in class) and those classes aren't offered at one or the other institutions. How did that work against you? I thought CASPA combines all that into one section semester.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting that you mentioned that second part... I am actually in a similar situation. I am enrolled at 4 institutions taking mainly online classes because I already graduated (3 online courses, 2 in class) and those classes aren't offered at one or the other institutions. How did that work against you? I thought CASPA combines all that into one section semester.

Nope. That's how they should do it, but courses are organized into one block only when they're taken in the same semester and school. In my situation, I took most of my prereqs at the same school, but different campuses. They're all strung out on CASPA and it's difficult for adcoms to see the course loads I handled. I had a conversation with an admissions director at a school that rejected me and she indicated this has worked against me. I don't think it will matter quite so much for you if you have a solid, traditional 4-year degree and didn't just slap together credits from multiple sources the way I did.

Archived