I have taken every Biology related course, what now?

Hello All,

I am currently in a predicament and can use some guidance... I graduated 2 semesters ago with a Bachelor's in Biology (Minor in Chemistry) and ever since I have been working on my HCE + shadowing. In addition to this, I have been taking courses at two separate institutions to strengthen my application and redeem some of my earlier academic results. Unfortunately, I am at a point where I can't find any more relevant biology classes to take! Even worse, at my home (4-year) institution non-degree seeking students are capped at 15 credits which I am about to fulfill. Most colleges (read: 2-year colleges/community college) don't have upper-division biology courses, so I can't find any more classes to take.

Here are the upper-division courses I have taken:

jX48s5H.png

In addition to these sciences classes, I have also taken:

X8WP7rc.png

...Now you may read this and say, "Wow, why are you stressing about taking more classes!" And the answer to that is, because my current cGPA (CASPA standards) is 3.164 and my sGPA 3.207

(I had a very poor first 3 years of school in which I was majoring in something else that did not motivate me to do well. When I had a moment of clarity I took a semester off school to figure things out and in the following semester I switched to Biology (I graduated from Biology with a GPA of 3.65))

So, what do you recommend I do?

I'd say broaden your horizons and take some nonsciences. it'll look good to have a well rounded education on top of your amazing and extensive academic record in biological sciences (and chem) -- maybe psych, english, etc. Also, know that they will see your old record but that they will see how much you've improved and that you've done so well on your most recent studies that it won't matter as much what happened before! Also keep racking up HCE no matter what it is you're doing - volunteer, shadow, work.. diversify yourself as much as possible. Your academic record seems strong but the competition is stiff so make sure to excel in all areas in your application!! You will do great!

I'd say broaden your horizons and take some nonsciences. it'll look good to have a well rounded education on top of your amazing and extensive academic record in biological sciences (and chem) -- maybe psych, english, etc. Also, know that they will see your old record but that they will see how much you've improved and that you've done so well on your most recent studies that it won't matter as much what happened before! Also keep racking up HCE no matter what it is you're doing - volunteer, shadow, work.. diversify yourself as much as possible. Your academic record seems strong but the competition is stiff so make sure to excel in all areas in your application!! You will do great!

Thank you for the reply and words of encouragement. I forgot to mention that I have also taken Intro to Psychology, Human, Growth & Development, and Abnormal Psychology for the Social Sciences. I am currently enrolled in a Technical & Professional Writing course that many programs "recommend"

Hopefully that is the case, however, I know some admission committees will not look past my cGPA & sGPA. 

they won't look past it but they will be able to see the difference between how you did then vs how great you are doing now. trust me! they'll notice. everyone has rough years for whatever reasons but you got back on the horse and kicked a**!

PA-S

You ask, "so, what do you recommend?" Answer, Apply! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I am going to apply for the next cycle (2015-2016) and see the response I get. I have been lurking the forums for close to a year and I was honestly too scared to apply this cycle based on all the applicant stats I've seen.

I am going to apply for the next cycle (2015-2016) and see the response I get. I have been lurking the forums for close to a year and I was honestly too scared to apply this cycle based on all the applicant stats I've seen.

You have to keep in mind, your app is analyzed by objective measures, which involves numbers and algorithms and formulas, but it's also analyzed by subjective measures, which involves a human being looking at the application and asking, "Can this person handle PA school?" Your GPA isn't great, but is hardly a deal breaker, either. However, if I'm on an adcom and looking at your stats, I would say you've done enough to prove you're ready, assuming you took good course loads.

That, of course, is just my opinion and it is based solely on your course history, which is only one (albeit critical) aspect of the application. If you can bring some strong HCE and GRE scores to the table and apply wide and early I could see you getting interviews. I've had 4 interviews and my GPA was 3.1 and I don't have the extent of science classes you have (more like bare bones prerequisites). However, all my recent grades were As and I have decent HCE, with some stellar standardized test scores to boot.

Archived