Hi everyone, can some kind people help me understand all about precepting. What is the difference between a preceptor, a mentor or a professor/instructor? Don't PA schools usually assign preceptors to students before clinicals or didactics? Do you find your own in PA school, or do you have to wait until you are working in the field? How do you find one? Is there a list? How available are they for you? How qualified are they? Do they get paid? Do they volunteer their time? Are there goals that need to be met between both parties or just one? Do they follow you from room to room or do you follow them? How long are they with you? Is this something required before you graduate? I thought I understood how it works, but now I am not to sure.

In most PA programs you will be linked up with one of the core faculty members who will serve as your "advisor" through PA school. Their job is to monitor your progress and to provide advice on how you might improve your performance. They are also often your first point of contact should any difficulties arise.

"Preceptors" are the PAs, physicians and others who guide you through your supervised clinical experiences (rotations). In most cases they are volunteers although some receive a small stipend. They used to be able to receive category II CME for precepting; it is now also possible to receive 10 hours of category I CME annually as well. The program is required to have goals and objectives established for each clinical experience, and it is often a good idea to sit down with the preceptor on the first day of a rotation to review these. 

In most PA programs you will be linked up with one of the core faculty members who will serve as your "advisor" through PA school. Their job is to monitor your progress and to provide advice on how you might improve your performance. They are also often your first point of contact should any difficulties arise.

"Preceptors" are the PAs, physicians and others who guide you through your supervised clinical experiences (rotations). In most cases they are volunteers although some receive a small stipend. They used to be able to receive category II CME for precepting; it is now also possible to receive 10 hours of category I CME annually as well. The program is required to have goals and objectives established for each clinical experience, and it is often a good idea to sit down with the preceptor on the first day of a rotation to review these. 

how do you get the 10 hrs of cat 1? have never heard of this. thanks.

We have the option to claim category 1 or 2 credits... 40 hours of precepting for 1 hour of category 1 just isn't worth it to me (this is what we were told - not sure if that's universal or specific to us), sticking with category 2 hours for precepting

EMED - 

There is nothing to it. The sending program just has to apply to the AAPA.

See if this link works:

http://www.aapa.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2109

(For hours above and beyond the 10, you can still claim category II.)

thanks!

just checked the link. not terribly generous with the cat 1 hrs are they? 1 student for 1 month = 1 hr of credit. looks like more trouble than it is worth in terms of documentation to support it, etc. vs a 1 day cert course giving 8-12 hrs.

At Drexel we allowed to set up two sites for rotations with a preceptor.  The rest are set up by the program.

I'm a Drexel grad. most folks in my class were very impressed with the available sites and didn't feel the need to set up outside rotations. I did peds em, trauma surgery, etc right off the list.

I'm a Drexel grad. most folks in my class were very impressed with the available sites and didn't feel the need to set up outside rotations. I did peds em, trauma surgery, etc right off the list.

As am I.  While it's true that most folks were pleased with their rotation sites, most of my classmates who set up their own sites did so because they either knew someone there, or were jockeying for a job there after school or had another reason (e.g. trying to be closer to an elderly family member for a while).

Archived