Any PAs still working as Medics?

Just wondering the logistics of a PA working PRN as a paramedic elsewhere? I've heard rumors of conflicts over training vs. scope of practice and the potential of getting yourself in trouble should things go to court... (i.e. if you are PA trained, you should have know xxx but you didn't act on it because you were working at paramedic scope...). Is this a real concern? Considering taking a flight job PRN while awaiting my credentialling and license, but don't want to put either license in jeopardy. 

Anyone have experience with this? 

PM Medic25 here. he is an ems coordinator and I think still does some street shifts.

I have a friend from pa school still doing a 12 hr shift/week.

it's all about not confusing roles. you are either a pa or a medic in a particular time and place.

I am a PA who works two shifts monthly as a medic. It's in my blood; can't give that up!

There is no conflict; I'm a medic when I'm on the truck. There is a state law here that a PA can intercede in an emergency but I've never availed myself of that.

My crewmates often ask me if there is anything else I'd like done, especially on medical emergencies. I also try to do a little teaching, but only when it's appropriate.

• 3 weeks later...

I work on the back of an engine, 24/48.  work 10 er shifts a month in between.  When I'm on the engine, I'm a medic.  when I'm in the ER I'm an EMPA-C.  Clearly expressed (by me and agreed to by EMS medical director) that while Im on the engine, I'm a medic and a medic only.  No special protocols, no special treatment. It is kinda funny when the ambulance folks (who sometimes tend to treat the engine medics like second class providers) recognize me in the ER when I am receiving their patient.  Some are friendly after that, others turn pale, still others laugh embarrassed...  

should be no problem, as long as your supervising physician delineates to you that your protocols and activities are limited as such... 

Archived