What are my chances?

Hey all, I'm a 2nd time applicant..

I was curious what are my chances of getting to PA school with my stats..

Major: Medical Technology
Overall GPA: About a 3.1
CASPA Science GPA : 2.99
HCE : 2550 hrs + more ( currently employed as a medical technologist)

Volunteer : 170hrs as an ER Volunteer

PA Shadowing : 100+ more ( current)

Licensure:  Clinical Laboratory Technologist in NYS

Certification: American Society for Clinical Pathology(ASCP)

Extracirriculars: Human anatomy TA
                         Member of a sports team at my hospital Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, promoting cancer awareness at the competitions.

Letter of Recs:  D.O Doctor

PA

PhD Chief, Clinical Chemistry of my hospital.

Also, look at schools that look at the last 60 units that may help you.  They are looking for the whole package including volunteering, HCE, GPA as a whole, GPA in the prereqs, Sci GPA, great LORs from people who really know you and not just some PA you spent a couple hours with to help make your application look good, upper division science courses and how well you did in them, life experiences (single mom, military, teacher, lab tech), and a well written statement for CASPA.  What Blue Goose stated above is correct it really depends on the school you apply to and what the other applicant looks like.

Yeah I have a single mom. Is 2550 HCE and more bad?

Not sure how having a single mom matters at all.  2550 hours HCE isn't bad, but at many schools you'll be competing with other applicants who have significantly more.  Also, some schools will not consider your hours unless you actually touched patients (medical technologists are lab scientists, no?).  It seems to me like there is nothing in your stats that will catch a program's interest.  I think your chances this cycle are correspondingly not good.  I would recommend continuing to work while re/taking classes to raise your GPA, and working to matriculate within the next five years.

Med tech here.  I had a slightly higher GPA than you(major upward trend - last 60 hrs were 3.8) and about the same amount of HCE at application time.  I applied very broadly and was offered plenty of interviews in my second app cycle. Make sure you have an excellent PS and briefly address why your GPA is low and how you've fixed whatever caused it.

I've never really understood why adcoms look down upon med tech and graciously upon things like patient care technician. Lab tests are 80% of a diagnosis and already knowing how to read and interpret them is a major help. Perhaps you could do some phleb on the side or do a short EMT class. Your gpa is what is majorly holding you back.

Medical technology is a rigorous program. They're the behind the scenes of medicine. Because of family financial circumstances, I had to balance work///school(which includes lecture and lab)...we all know med tech is 99% all lab classes. This is ALL explained on my Personal statement. And I also work at a well renowned hospital and have 3 SOLID recommendations. I even passed my boards...obviously if i did terrible i wouldn't be able to get a license. I hope the adcomm sees past my grade, and can see my real potential.

( on a good note, i've saved up tons of $$$ for living expenses for PA school)

Medical technology is a rigorous program. They're the behind the scenes of medicine. Because of family financial circumstances, I had to balance work///school(which includes lecture and lab)...we all know med tech is 99% all lab classes. This is ALL explained on my Personal statement. And I also work at a well renowned hospital and have 3 SOLID recommendations. I even passed my boards...obviously if i did terrible i wouldn't be able to get a license. I hope the adcomm sees past my grade, and can see my real potential.

It won't be enough to just say that you had financial problems and that you work at a well-known hospital.  The adcom will want to know what you have done to prevent whatever happened from happening again and they'll want to see an upward trend.  If your GPA is low because of recent coursework then you need to start taking more classes asap.  You want to distance yourself as far as possible from any poor grades.

Not to diminish the importance of a PS, but i was on the ADCOM just recently, and got a feeling that essays were never read until we reviewed the applications an hour before starting interviews. However, what was highlighted were GPA, GRE, and HCE. So, raise your GPA however you can, and get direct HCE.

Good luck!

Not HAVING a single mom, BEING a single mom. Yea that's rough, I'll tell ya. And it's "extracurricular". Sorry had to correct that. I would say if you have the numbers...high GPA, HCE and GRE etc. all that matters is your PS. It's the ONLY thing that can set you apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Med tech here.  I had a slightly higher GPA than you(major upward trend - last 60 hrs were 3.8) and about the same amount of HCE at application time.  I applied very broadly and was offered plenty of interviews in my second app cycle. Make sure you have an excellent PS and briefly address why your GPA is low and how you've fixed whatever caused it.

What schools did you apply to if you dont mind.

Archived