2014-2015 App Cycle

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applied on September 5 and I finally received a confirmation email they received my application. Here is the info they sent me as welll as a tentative timeline for this admission cycle.

Thank you for your application to the Master Physician Assistant program at Samuel Merritt University.  This email confirms we have received your application from CASPA and it is under review.  Our review process will begin this summer and continue throughout the fall.  When we review your application, we will notify you by email if we need any additional information or documents. Please do not send us transcripts of courses you have completed since you submitted your CASPA application; we do not go back and recalculate GPA’s based on recently completed classes. We assume you will successfully complete all classes indicated as in progress on your application. Do not send resumes, additional letters of recommendation, certificates, updates to your health care experience hours, etc. We only look at and consider the information we require as part of the standardized application. As a reminder, we do not require the GRE’s and do not have a supplemental application.

We will begin sending out interview invitations in November and will continue to invite candidates to interview as space permits until the interview process is completed.  We have a total of 144 interview slots.  It is very likely you will not hear from us before that time.  Invitations come directly from the PA department and not through the Office of Admission.  Interviews are planned for December 6, 2014, January 24, 2015 and January 31, 2015.  All applicants will know their final admission status by the beginning of March.  We notify every one of their final status by email.  A tentative timeline for this admission cycle is on our website athttp://www.samuelmerritt.edu/physician_assistant/admission_timeline

We respectfully request that you do not call us regarding your current application status. Please know that we have your application, it will go through our review process and we will email you if we need any additional information or clarification of any information throughout the review process.  

Again, thank you for your interest in and application to the MPA program at Samuel Merritt University!

Pam Harrison

Associate Director of Admission

I'm not giving up until they officially reject me. So many people have chosen other schools because they haven't heard back from SM because SM is on a later timeline/start date, so there is no reason to give up hope yet. I'm going to put everything I've got into the scholarship supplemental app, knowing I very well may not get an interview - but I have learned that is part of the process of all this - everybody hang in there and think happy thoughts :)

I applied in late July and received my confirmation email July 28th. I submitted the scholarship for HPSA the night that I got it and live 10 minutes from one of the counties listed, and have frequented the area very often my entire life, so I do have a strong tie. I haven't heard anything as far as an interview either. I would consider my application to be competitive. BUT like MainerRD12 said, I refuse to give up!! Keeping my fingers crossed that more of us hear something soon!! Good luck everyone! 

I was hoping that someone who has interviewed could tell us what the day was like. 

I interviewed on Dec 6 and it was actually a pretty fun day!  They rotate groups through different interviews/activities and are really just trying to get to know the interviewees and see if you are a good fit.  I know it's so cliche but really just be yourself.  Get to know everyone and let them get to know you. 

They said that we won't know notify people until Feb 14 (after all interviews are done) except for a few select individuals that they may accept right away.

Did anybody get e-mails regarding interviews (or should I expect them)? I'm scheduled for the upcoming 1/25/15 date, but have received nothing except for a phone call to confirm my interest in the interview. Thanks guys.

They called to confirm and then a couple weeks later sent an email with all the information included.

I still have not heard back from them, I submitted my app mid-September. Has anyone heard back yet?

Rosiero, They have 3 interview dates in which interview invites have already been given to the selected applicants. If anyone drops out of their interview day I am assuming they will contact another applicant for an interview invite. 

I hope this helps with your question.

Rosiero,

I am in the same boat as you. Haven't heard any thing back from them. I applied in mid September too... I thought I had a very strong application. I would have appreciated if they had send an email stating they have already selected their applicants for the interview. This hanging without any information is very nerve wrecking for many people especially for the ones who have applied only to SMU for personal or family reasons. As engyuyen suggested its best to make the application stronger for next year. But my problem is I don't know which part of my application to improve. The only thing I can think of is I did not have all my prerequisites before the CAPSA opened and completed them in the fall.

gjunon,

Since you have been invited to the interview and seem to have some insight, can you please share your GPA, your HCE hours ?? In other words your application stats?? This will help lot of us who are still hanging in confusion. Thank you.

Regards,

Empowred.

Can anyone who is familiar with the area shed any light on the safety of the campus? Are there safe areas nearby where students can live? I have family in the bay area but am not very familiar with Oakland itself, so any insight would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Oakland has good and bad areas. Most of the students will live in neighborhoods such as Emeryville, Lake Merritt or Adams Point. Others live in San Francisco (long commute 45 mins~), Berkeley or Alameda. Hope this helps!

Hello ,

Wanted to share the news that I have been invited for interview ( finally) on Feb 7th. I got a call this morning. So there is still hope. Any body else is going on Feb 7 ??

People who have already gone for the interview, can you please guide what to wear and how to prepare??

Thank you.

Archived