2014-2015 App Cycle

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha I know, I got the email too! To bad I'm already committed to my first choice school so looks like I won't be filling that supplemental email out!

It was talking about areas of need both in California and Hawaii, if your interested in working in these areas the email encouraged you to submit and additional supplemental application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It said there's a special track for people who want to do primary care in Hawaii or select northern ca counties that are desolate and underserved areas. Samuel Merritt was given scholarship money for people who commit to that. It asks for us to answer a few questions on how we are tied to any of those areas, why we want to stay in primary care, and for a commitment to practice primary care and do our clinical rotations in the target sites mentioned.

I also received the email (so I assume everyone did?) but I live in Oregon. It sounded like you're only eligible if you have a tie to the Northern California counties listed or Hawaii, so I was a bit confused to get the e-mail because I'm interested but not from those areas so I assumed I wouldn't qualify. Clarification would be nice because it sounds like a great opportunity.

They just sent this

1. Is the supplemental application for everyone interested in admission to the SMU PA program?

No, only for those who wish to be considered for a HPSA scholarship.

2. Will my chances for regular admission to the program be harmed if I submit a supplemental application?

No, the application/admissions process is the same for every candidate. Applying for the HRSA scholarship will have no impact on the regular admission process.

3. Are there differences between the regular program and the HPSA track?

No, the HPSA track is a special track within the existing PA program NOT a separate program– this provides a mechanism to expand our current program. All students must meet the same admissions requirements and will be reviewed in the same process.

4. Can I submit a supplemental application for the HPSA track if I am not from a target area?

Preference for this grant funding must be given to candidates with a demonstrated connection to the target areas with a desire to do primary care in the target area after graduation. Anyone is welcome to submit a supplemental application, but those who meet all of the criteria will be given preference.

5. Even if I don’t apply or receive the HRSA funding, can I still do the HPSA track and complete my rotations in a target area?

Rotations in target areas will be prioritized for HPSA awardees. But there will be opportunities to use those rotations for regular students as well, and students in either the HPSA or the regular track would be able to take advantage of those rotation sites.

Unfortunately, due to the large volume of questions from over 2000 applicants, I am only able to accept the actual application and will not be able to respond to any calls or emails regarding the HPSA application.

Best of luck!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong and I hope I am. I noticed on the website & this forum that there are 3 interview dates: dec. 6 & two dates in January.

Does anyone know if those are the final dates, or will they open up a few more dates? According to last years thread there were a few interview dates in February.

I have not received a confirmation from the school that they received my application or an interview I applied early September I did receive the email about the scholarship but I do not qualify since I am from Texas here is what the email said. 

December 2, 2014

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in Samuel Merritt University. I am writing about an important opportunity. In 2010, Samuel Merritt University was awarded $1,232,000.00 in federal scholarship funds to support the expansion of our PA Program. In fulfillment of this goal, we developed a “Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA)” track within our Department. Currently, we are targeting the State of Hawaii and the thirteen northern California counties identified as HPSAs. Candidates who are interested in providing primary care services in either of these areas may be eligible for significant scholarship support during their training. Candidates accepted into this track will:

a) demonstrate a significant connection to one of the two target regions through formative experiences in the target region,

b) demonstrate a sincere commitment to primary care and to practicing in the target region after graduation, and

c) agree to conduct all core clinical rotations (not including electives) for the program in the target region.

If you meet these criteria and would like to be considered for admission to this special track within our program, please complete the attached supplemental application and submit it to me electronically at the email below before Monday, December 22, 2014.  Good luck to all of you!  Please respond to deaglin@samuelmerritt.edu.

Sincerely,

Michael De Rosa MPH, PhD, PA-C
Chair, Physician Assistant Department
Samuel Merritt University

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) Track

Samuel Merritt University

Physician Assistant Department

Supplemental Application

1. Please describe your connection to one of the following target regions:

Hawaii

Or

California Counties: Sierra, Del Norte, Siskiyou, Trinity, Modoc, Tehama, Lassen, Humboldt, Shasta, Butte, Mendocino, Glenn

2. Please explain why you are committed to primary care medicine.

3. Discuss why it is an important goal to return to the target region you identified above to practice after you are graduated.

4. If you are accepted for this award, you will complete the didactic portion of the program at our home campus in Oakland, California, and all required clinical rotations in the target region (Hawaii or Northern California). By checking the box below, you agree to this stipulation of the scholarship program.

If I am granted this scholarship award, I will perform all required clinical rotations in my target region

Hi everyone! My name is Hilary and I'm a first year PA student at Samuel Merritt! I want to wish you all GOOD LUCK!!! For those of you who went to the interview I hope it went well! I wish I could have made it! For those of you who have interviews scheduled here I'm going to give you a very important piece of information...JUST BE YOURSELF and show you can work as a team!! I can't stress that enough. Again, good luck everyone :)

Dear Kopczh55,

Thank you for your piece of advice. I have not got an interview yet. I applied in September. Are there still any chances for getting an interview? I have over 5000 hrs of clinical experience with a 3.64 GPA. I applied little late. I feel all the spots are filled by earlier applicants. Would you have any input? Thank you very much for your time.

Archived