Savannah Class That Starts Jan 2012

I am out of state. Our class is about 70% out of state, 30% in state. But that is not factored into who is accepted, we just happen to get a lot of out of state applications. I interviewed the 2nd week of May which was the 2nd interview group and found out within 3 days by mail that I got accepted. I applied in December and found out about 3 weeks before my interview that I got one.

I LOVE this program, one thing that I found different about our program from others is that the faculty really treats you like people. The faculty knew all of our names within the first week and everybody has an open door policy. You can go to them about anything and they will do everything in their power to help you succeed. We are all assigned to "small groups" about 8-10 students per group, where our assigned faculty member meets with us every week and we review what we are learning in class and practice physical exams on our lab partners. It is very beneficial and really helps prepare us. We also get assigned to a preceptor and get to go to the clinic at least once a quarter and work with patients during the didactic year so we have experience before rotations begin. Our classes are all coordinated, so in A&P we are learning about the Cardiovascular system, in Physical Assesment we are learning about the Cardiac Exam, in Clinical Medicine we learn about Heart conditions and how to treat them, etc. It really helps make the material bearable! This program is really unique which you will find out upon interviewing. Also, the interview process is 2 days: the first day is like an orientation, you learn everything about the program and go a tour of Savannah and go out to dinner with the ambassadors who will answer any questions you have and ease your nerves a little. The second day is 2, one on one interviews and 1 question and answer session with the program director and one other interviewee.

Feel free to send more questions!! One of my classmates just joined too so she can help me with the responses and you can get another perspective :)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my interview at South University in Savannah yesterday. It was really laid back and the professors I interviewed with tried not to make it intimidating. I got a 700 quant score and 580 verbal score on GRE and 3.4/3.2 overall/science GPA. They said I would hear from them within 3 weeks and it can't come soon enough. Good luck to everyone

kmm9269--

Thanks for your response! Very nice to get a little info on the program, as I live in northern Ohio and have never been to the school... or even Savannah for that matter! Your interview process seems very unique with the 2 day visit. The coordination in classroom material sounds extremely beneficial and I haven't seen this from other schools that I have interviewed with. I have been waitlisted for a couple other places and am only waiting now to hear from South Univ. The waiting game is driving me crazy haha. Thanks again!!

Exercise Physiology major

3.45 GPA

3.2 Science GPA

1000 and 4.0 GRE

250 Interning hours within numerous hospital departments and 40 hours shadowing a PA

I've only just submitted my CASPA. Does anyone know how long it will be before they contact me? (if they do) I'm also Exercise Phys with a 3.4 overall, 3.2 science, 1240 and 4.0 GPA and about 400 volunteering and 100 hours shadowing... Do you think the fact that I applied this late will hurt me?

I interviewed last week (May 17,18th)... On the South U. website they mentioned interview questions would be "Behavioral". From my experience in the interview, almost all of their questions were of this type. Google behavioral interview questions and practice coming up with scenarios in your life that apply to those particular questions. (ie Describe an interpersonal problem and how you were able to overcome it.... What was your biggest regret?) It doesn't have to be just related to work. You can talk about how you were able to overcome differences with a roommate and were able to live together without issue. Remember the interviewers know you from a piece of paper only, get them to know the professional you in person! Also the program director is VERY knowledgeable and intelligent in my opinion. Be sure to have some smart questions for him during the "not an interview" meeting you have with him.

My piece of advice, have fun during the interviews! or for gosh sakes, fake it! let your high achieving, best foot forward self shine through any nervousness!

-Greg

I am in the current class and like Greg said, be yourself during the interview and try your best not to be nervous!! Our faculty is so laid back and friendly which will be apparent when you go for the interview. As far as housing, you will get a final e-mail list with all of your classmates and you can contact people that way. Or what our class did was create a Facebook group with everyone and that has been our easy source of communication!! Good luck to all.

Does anyone know a cheap place to stay for the interviews? Is there public transit around Savannah or should I rent a car? I don't know where to stay and I'm not having any luck on couch surfing. I see theres a hostel but thats about it. Can we stay with current students? I'm flying in the 13th and flying out the 15th (interview is 14th-15th). I don't have a lot of money and don't want to spend $100 on a hotel each night. Any suggestions are much appreciated! I already emailed the program asking for help too. I would love to stay with a student but I could see how that may not be allowed. The hostel-type place seems cool though!

Did you check out the hotels listed in the email? I think there were a few on there for around $60-70 a night. It's a good last resort if you need it. Or maybe anyone else going to the interview that you could share the room with? Me personally, I'm traveling with my mom, so I can't, but maybe another interviewee?

For finding cheap places to stay here is a good technique.... Before going to Savannah, I used priceline to get a great deal on a hotel. I stayed at Courtyard by Marriott for a total of $64/night (My winning bid was $51 + ~$13 for taxes/fees). BTW Courtyard is 4 minutes from South so it's about as close as you can get! If you are unfamiliar with using priceline, check out biddingfortravel.com. They help you bid smartly using priceline to get you the best deal. I was so happy with my cheap, relaxing, one night stay at a 3-star hotel that I aced my interview and received my acceptance letter early this week! Good luck and have fun!

Hope this helps,

-Greg

Is anyone who's interviewing the 14-15th interested in going on a ghost tour with me on Monday the 13th? It starts at Johnson Square and sounds awesome! I've been on this same company's tours in Charleston and Key West so I know they are good. Let me know! http://www.theghostsofsavannah.com/

Send me a private message if you are interested....I have almost an entire day to explore so I'm really excited to spend time getting to know the place!

Does anyone have a contact phone number for South? I wanted to check my app status and make sure they received my latest transcripts but I cannot seem to get through to the PA admissions office...? Thanks in advance!

they emailed me once they received my app. they responded faster to my email. hope this helps.

(912)201-8025 / (912)201-8171 or paprogram@southuniversity.edu or khahn@southuniversity.edu

Archived