Do A&P Courses Need to be Upper Division?

So I'm getting somewhat conflicting advice in terms of what anatomy and physiology prerequisites are required. Websites for programs don't seem to have any particular preference as to whether A&P courses need to be upper division (e.g., something like Comparative Vert. Anatomy) or lower, but I've met a few applicants who have been told (source unspecified) that upper division is required. Should I simply be taking "normal" anatomy, or an upper division course (which doesn't appear to even cover human anatomy)?

And now that I think of it, one more prerequisite question: what should I do if biochem is only an accessible course at my school after one has already completed the full organic sequence? Some programs require a biochem but don't seem to care about organic all that much, and I know a lot of undergrad programs offer a biochem independent of organic.

Programs definately want to see Anatomy and Physiology in respect to the human. I don't think it matters if it is an upper level course or not as long as it covers all the body systems.

As for biochemistry, I've heard of people taking it without organic chemistry so you may be able to get a prerequisite override at your school and just take it. I'm not sure whether this is suggested or not because it may put you in a tight position. My suggestion would be to take first semester ochem and then take biochem. :)

Best of luck to you!

Most schools simply require organic 1 (not necessarily organic 1 and 2) for biochemistry. It may behoove you, depending on your HCE and quality of application, to take the full sequence of organic as some, only a few schools, require organic 2. 

Personally I would take O-chem 1 and AnP 1 this coming semester. AnP 2 in the fall semester and biochemistry in the summer. I think your confusion lies in the fact that some schools have upper division comparative anatomy/ animal physiology. I don't think this would be in your greatest benefit to take those courses. I have had AnP 1+2 with labs and they were pretty comprehensive, this is what I would recommend. 

I took 200-level A&P 1 and 2 with lab. Every school but one accepted it. The one school that did not accept it said they wanted an "upper division" A&P course but that doesn't exist at my college. My A&P professor wrote to that one school and explained this but they were unsympathetic. That being said it was only one school of the many I applied to and I successfully got accepted to another school.

Definitely take an actual human A&P 1 and 2 with lab. From there you may consider upper level courses, but not at the expense of the "real" course.

Archived