New CME Requirements - Self-Assessment & PI CME

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of us who graduated in 2014, we are already in the midst of trying to secure this "new" requirement (which, by the way, was not discussed in school).  I am finding that there is very little assistance for finding inexpensive or convenient options.  My practice is still growing and while the PI activities COULD be relevant at some point, my practice is not large enough to have enough patients in any of the categories at this point. I'd like to see pediatric vaccines, depression, OB care, pain management, obesity care, health maintenance, etc. activities added to the list. I guess my main complaint is the narrow focus of education opportunities available. My nose is either in a book or seeking information almost every hour of every day (and from what I have observed, the same is true for the other providers around me as well) to make changes to my practice which enhance my medical knowledge and skill.  Also, all the certifications we hold (PALS, ALSO, NRP, BLS, ACLS, CALS, etc) have a "self-assessment" exam component and should count toward the SA component as well.  I can see having a mandatory annual practice review course (tailored, of course to each PA's specific practice area) as a requirement. If we learn a new skill, observed and precepted by another provider, could this not serve as SA or PI? Could the NCCPA not make it a little more practical? I guess I just do not understand why we have such an intense process for maintaining certification (especially when much of it is not beneficial to our patients or our practices).

I do appreciate this Forum and have gotten some ideas by reading through the past posts, so THANK YOU!!  I think I will do SA this go-around and save the PI for another time.

To OpSite: The controversy for recertification rages on with NCCPA.  There are new proposals from them to change the format of PANRE and maintenance of certification.  When the comment period on the new proposal comes out Feb. 1st please answer it.  

The PI/SA system now is so confusing that it is probably a good idea to stick with the SA for your first 2 years.   I have a hard time understanding the system too.  

I would like to see PANCE once and done, then maintain certification by CME focused on whatever specialty or area of practice the PA is in.  

CAQ remains optional.

Keep it simple.  Simplicity is not in the minds of the power players at NCCPA, it's too simple.  

It's a huge mess.  I take my last PANRE Spring 2016.  I am hoping I can manage to skip all the PI stuff and just do the SA topic and then last 2 years of the 10 year cycle just not do what needs to be done.  I will  probably officially retire before the last 2 years of the cycle anyway.  Maybe even retire within 6 years, which is highly likely to happen.   I'm getting burned out anyway ..................... 

I still care how NCCPA does the PANCE and PANRE, etc. simply because I care about the profession and want to see our newly graduated PAs not suffer the consequences of failure because of PANRE and the burden on the PI/SA. 

I'm  reviewing for PANRE now.  

I'm there with you (out the door at 62 y/o so five and a half years to go).  I'm done with my two year CME cycle through end of this year ('16), including SA.  I can do another SA during '18 cycle and then see what changes have taken place with regard to PI between now and then.  Thank goodness for being in a state where -C isn't required.

• 1 month later...

I did one free SA CME on-line.  Obesity.

It was a more annoying CME than the usual.

It was ridiculous.  It was like the Common Core of CMEs.  

Paraphrased….

"And how will loosing weight affect your family?"

" And how will the quality of your life change when your can loose weight?"

" What are some of your goals that you can accomplish that will help you loose weight?"

OMG…..I know, I know…..but seriously, no provider has the time to ask these type of questions in real life!

Give me my 100 easy CMEs that I have to pay for on-line.  I think as PAs, from pre-PA, to getting into, and through PA school, we have jumped through quite enough hoops already.

SMEs and PIs should be reserved for PAs that have gotten in trouble by their state boards or something as punishment. 

I can tell you this, some long faced-long winded- self important-boring people-wearing bow ties-attending endless academic meetings thought this crap up……

• 4 months later...

The only question I have (before I spend $99 and the tedium of taking a 400 question test--at least you can do a little at a time), has anyone actually gotten the 20 SA credits from the NCCPA (No logging ability as of yet) by doing the Rosh Review (which seems fairly reasonable in an annoying way).

Anyone approved for those 20 SA credits with Rosh?  From their QA section, one has to have them send you a certificate that you have completed with a 50% or better then you submit to the NCCPA before the end of the year?

The only question I have (before I spend $99 and the tedium of taking a 400 question test--at least you can do a little at a time), has anyone actually gotten the 20 SA credits from the NCCPA (No logging ability as of yet) by doing the Rosh Review (which seems fairly reasonable in an annoying way).

Anyone approved for those 20 SA credits with Rosh? From their QA section, one has to have them send you a certificate that you have completed with a 50% or better then you submit to the NCCPA before the end of the year?

I did it last year over three days between patients. Their PC course was not listed at NCCPA but the EM one was. Contacted AAPA since they said at their site that it was an approved course. NCCPA said they only went with what AAPA provided them, and RR had to reissue certificate with an approved backdated completion date. I was able to log at NCCPA with the older date. If you act like you're going to log the course at NCCPA and it doesn't show the course listed check their accreditation.

• 1 month later...

Archived