New CME Requirements - Self-Assessment & PI CME

Letter I just shot off to NCCPA director:

"To the DIrector of NCCPA, 

I have been a PA since 1985. The changes to the NCCPA with regard to burden of CME, the increased complexity of it and the testing are such that I would encourage potential new entries to the field to go the NP route vs the PA route. NP/s, MD's, DO's all have it easier and cheaper than what you have done to us. 

The best part about retiring will be to escape the burdensome NCCPA requirements. You academics have no idea what it's like out in the field. The changes that have been implemented feel like a racket. The cost in money and time to me have just skyrocketed. I am seriously considering forgoing certification and riding out the few years to my retirement. 

I want to know who authorizes the NCCPA to assault our profession? Who put you in charge and what financial connections do you have to the CME portion and to the testing portion. The NCCPA aspect is the worst part of my profession and you seem to have a chokehold on us. 

The NCCPA in it's current evolution is a detriment to the profession. Ease up on the cost and time requriements, and complexities-- NOW."

My questions are more than rhetorical. Answers would be appreciated from any forum members. Who authorizes the NCCPA? WHo oversees them? Does anyone share my sentiments?  Am I the only NCCPA curmudgeon? 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just resigned myself to the fact that nobody has our best interests in mind and I think I'll let mine lapse 12/16 unless something changes in the interim.  I don't need certification where I'm at.  Too close to retirement and if I can't drive the yellow ball cap NAPA truck then maybe Uber or some such will come calling to guide me into retirement ('83 grad).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Self Assessment and PI CME Information ----> Get the Inside Scoop

Here's the deal... abridged from the blog above. 

In the 10 year cycle, you need 500 CME hours

250 category 1

250 cetegory 2

So far so good.  BUT... our logging criteria is broken into two year cycles (so there are 5 cycles.)

In cycle 1-4 (so every 2 years from year 1-8) you need 50 category 1 CME hours.  BUT... 20 hours have to be special CME.  Either self assessment of PI CME.  So, by the end of the 8th year, you will need a total of 40 hours of self assessment and 40 hours of PI CME.  (The last two years, all you need to do is study for your boards.  No self assessment or PI CME needed.)

Hope this helps.  As much as this is a bit confusiong, it's easy pesy to get the credits. 

Good luck. 

John Bielinski

Guest Paula

We must have 250 hours of Category 2?  Most of the hours I've accrued in the past were Cat 1, so now I have to make sure they are equal?  

Are self assessment and PI all CAT 1?

What is the point of  having Cat 2 or having categories at all?  I remember Cat 2 as journal reading, precepting, etc. 

NCCPA should take a look at the CAT2 and delete it from the requirements and make precepting CAT 1. 

Of course, if journal reading counts for CAT 2 it makes it easy to just type in that one has read 25 hours worth of journal articles per year and log them without much effort. 

OK, let's keep CAT 2.  I changed my mind mind.  Again.  LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

I believe in the NCCPA. 

I have spoken with the leadership and I believe in them.  For those that don't feel they are in our best interest I disagree, and I disagree this is strictly a money maker concept. 

When you look at the literature on learning, there is one thing that is clear - advanced learning comes from a concept called "deliberate practice.

It's a concept of remaining in a cognitive phase of learning longer to enhance understanding.

Yes, my company does make CME that provides SA CME and PI CME.  So, yes, my opinion could be biased. 

Peace.  

• Administrator

I don't think any Cat 2 is required (you should be able to do 50 cat 1 yearly and be fine), but I'm certainly never going to be affected by it--my EMT OTEP and teaching EMT classes give me over 50 hours of Cat 2 a year.  I had 300+ CME hours my first two year cycle, and I'm already on track to meet or exceed that again this cycle.

Granted, a lot of those CME are just currency maintenance in things I never use (PALS recert? 6 hours Cat 1 every other year), but I find it odd that now a bunch of that 'excess' CME is going to do me no good at all, since it won't fit into the PI/SA categories.

I believe in the NCCPA. 

I have spoken with the leadership and I believe in them.  For those that don't feel they are in our best interest I disagree, and I disagree this is strictly a money maker concept. 

When you look at the literature on learning, there is one thing that is clear - advanced learning comes from a concept called "deliberate practice.

It's a concept of remaining in a cognitive phase of learning longer to enhance understanding.

Yes, my company does make CME that provides SA CME and PI CME.  So, yes, my opinion could be biased. 

Peace.  

What I think is interesting, after reading through this thread, is that the overarching theme is "this won't help ME".  And I think they're probably right... the aim of PI and QI is not solely focused on benefiting the clinician --- it's a small piece of a quality improvement effort to improve care as a whole and actually has the patient and their safety at the center.  I understand that those who have been PAs for many years (don't get me wrong, I bow down to the PA gods with their experience) and are nearing the end of their careers find it difficult to be motivated to work towards changing the system they've been working in for so long.  But healthcare is a mess.  And QI/PI doesn't just point out individual providers and slap them on the wrist telling them to be better clinicians -- it's a means to discover and undercover faulty systems, broken systems that don't allow good providers to provide the outstanding care patients deserve, and to improve these systems to ensure we can function at our highest ability and ultimately can provide excellent, SAFE care that will benefit our patients.  Maybe it feels like just another hoop, but we have to do something to address the absurd amount of preventable deaths due to medical errors and other overuse/underuse/misuse of care.  We can't keep our heads in the sand...  real change is a collective effort.

I thought this was a good introductory video to QI, for what it's worth:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq52ZjMzqyI

Guest Paula

The real change for the QI/PI will change when administration fully supports the changes.  One PA in a system trying to do a PI to benefit the system will not get much of a sneeze at in the real world.  At least not in my neck of the woods.  The hamster wheel just keeps going round and round and we are running on  it with no place to jump off and be heard.

Make the money, make the money, make the money for the organization.  

The real change for the QI/PI will change when administration fully supports the changes. One PA in a system trying to do a PI to benefit the system will not get much of a sneeze at in the real world. At least not in my neck of the woods. The hamster wheel just keeps going round and round and we are running on it with no place to jump off and be heard.

Make the money, make the money, make the money for the organization.

Now THAT is the real way to measure quality. The more cash flow the better the quality .... of administration; providers be damned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My CME is due by December and I have yet to remotely understand what PI is or if I even have access to this wonderful new thing.

I need to read the OP links and try to grasp it.

Are there any simple explanations?

Rev, what are all the acronyms in your post and can any PA access those CMEs?

Would love anyone's input and explanation!

My last 6 yr testing is next yr and then 10 yrs - woohoo for what that is worth!

P.S. The links in the blog link of the original post no longer work.

This whole assessment crap is for the birds.

I am about to change jobs and will not have access to 7 months of charts to assess from 2015.

I also believe that this will not benefit me at all. It is busy work and will never have a substantial impact on healthcare. People got jobs to mine this data but it will never be put back into any practical use in the real world.

I have recertified 4 times now and the ONLY time I learned anything other than test taking was the now extinct Pathway II where I worked with colleagues and actually learned some stuff. I would take that route in a heartbeat!!

Quite frankly, this new requirement just sucks!

My CME is due by December and I have yet to remotely understand what PI is or if I even have access to this wonderful new thing.

I need to read the OP links and try to grasp it.

Are there any simple explanations?

Rev, what are all the acronyms in your post and can any PA access those CMEs?

Would love anyone's input and explanation!

My last 6 yr testing is next yr and then 10 yrs - woohoo for what that is worth!

do the SA for your first 2 year cycle. the PI stuff is still a work in progress and even the nccpa folks couldn't explain at aapa how a specialty pa without a panel can meet the requirement.

SA is independent of your job. PI is the stuff tied to a pt panel. look at your nccpa page and it will tell you whe n your cycles start and stop.

see www.roshreview.com/pa for an example of sa cme. bottom of page. 99 bucks for 20 sa credits in em for taking a 400 question self test.

English translation: SA is a higher priced version of Cat I w/o any fun thrown in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yup, it's cat 1 with a required test to make sure you understand the material. it's a conference without going to the bar after lectures :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about the "6 Key Elements"....

1. "Licensure" as the regulatory term
  2. Full prescriptive authority
  3. Scope of practice determined at the practice level
  4. Adaptable supervision requirements
  5. Chart co-signature requirements determined at the practice
  6. Number of PAs a physician may supervise determined at the practice level

My bold/emphasis...

Items like scope (what we can do), co-sig (do we need a stamp of approval on the things we do), and level of supervision (do we need to be watched in doing the things we do) are all DOWNSTREAM point of care elements. These are well after the factors that determine a PA's competency level. Competency being a sum of many things, chiefly knowledge base and technical skill. Our continuing education informs our competency.

Why do we not embrace this libertarian approach to CME?

Why not allow PAs to determine their self dircted CME at the practice level?

This is separate from the (god awful) PANRE, which is a separate discussion.

CMS has loaded on the meaningful use criteria.

Hospitals and health systems have their own internal processes for quality improvement, driven by reimbursement.

Allow PAs to function within their practices and focus their time on substantive improvement projects driven by their practices, not imposed (for a fee, of course) by an organization that has a strong history of failure. Failure to recognize what tools are necessary for each and every PA in the country to remain up to date in their specialty. Failure to deliver the assessment and recertification products which would allow meaningful measures of PA competence. Instead we have exams and assessment modules which are tangential (at best) to many specialty PAs, leaving us to pay a fee for irrelevant exams and busywork.

Get with the 2015 state of affairs NCCPA, and unburden PAs so that they can achieve REAL maintenance of COMPETENCY, not just maintenance of certification. 

• 2 months later...

I ended up purchasing the MKSAP16 through the AAPA, and it will satisfy all of my CME cat 1 and 2 (including all 20 PI credits needed.) All you have to do is answer practice questions (PANRE-like) and you get the credits. You can also delete the questions you get wrong and take them until you get the right answers. Pretty easy.

I have been looking for something like this.  I see that it should satisfy self assessment, but does it satisfy the performance improvement requirements?  I am not sure if it will... 

Anyone else try this also?

Thanks 

Knocked out the Rosh Review Primary Care SA over the last 36 hours in between patients.  I have no clue where they got some of their questions, some of which were more obscure than what PANRE even asks.  I have come to the self-realization that it's all about the course completion baby, and not about the score itself.  Give daddy some SA CME and let's move on!  I swear if I give in and attempt to get PI-CME I'll never respect myself again.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived