New CME Requirements - Self-Assessment & PI CME

OK, I made the mistake of actually looking at the blanking requirements for this PI-CME for the first time.  Frankly, I have absolutely NO interest in meeting these requirements.  I don't give a flip about reviewing patient charts to assess some arbitrary topic which I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever.  It is a waste of my time, I have no desire to do statistical analysis, and if they're concerned about my clinical acumen, how about asking my SP?  I see this as being nothing more than busy work for myself (like the "pay for performance" concept) and cash going to their blanking coffers.  Considering that I have to pay out-of-pocket for this pile of excrement, and it will in no way benefit me financially, other than allow me to continue to receive a paycheck, I would love to be able to discover a way to tell NCCPA to go take a flying leap.  Someone explain to me how NCCPAs continued attempt to help us to be on the "cutting edge" as a medical profession has worked out thus far (PANRE concept).

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry Paula...they've made it pretty miserable for family physicians too!

At least we're in it together....except for my SP who is a GP and I think is grandfathered in to not doing all the CMEs FPs need for MOC.  

Now that I've had an evening to "let it go" (darn Frozen movie), I wonder what would happen if the VA system were to regress and allow for dropping of the -C (just playing what if)? If the number one employer were to make such a change I wonder how it would impact this process? All that being said, maybe I need to go back and look at the requirements a second time. I was under the impression that one had to have 20 hours of the PI every two year renewal cycle?

Hey gang, I took my re-cert two years ago so am on the old 6 year cycle one more time.  So, :-), this conversation won't hit me until after my next test in about 4 years.  Who is better off?    Me or you?  :-)

you. I took my panre #3 in january so this starts for me next yr. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I had misread it would appear.  It looks like 20 credits each of SA and PI-CME by the end of the 4th 2-year cycle (8 years total).  If that is indeed the case then I will have already said adios, assuming that I bail out at either age 60 or 62.  If I'm reading this wrong, someone please feel free to correct me.  The SA sounds like a PANRE type study course, which I don't think I'd have an issue with.  It's the stinkin' PI-CME that I have no interest in.

• 2 months later...

"As of 2014, PAs will begin to transition to a new certification maintenance process. As part of this new process, PAs must earn 20 credits of Category 1 PI-CME and/or Self-assessment CME every two years. Acceptable activities are certified for AAPA Category 1 PI-CME credit or AAPA Category 1 Self-assessment CME credit. The NCCPA states that these credits are very low cost and can be met for as little as $25 in your own practice or online."

From the OP blog site.

So, I'm looking at these things, and not seeing the "little as $25…..".

Thanks AAPA, loving the new stress factor in my life.

"As of 2014, PAs will begin to transition to a new certification maintenance process. As part of this new process, PAs must earn 20 credits of Category 1 PI-CME and/or Self-assessment CME every two years. Acceptable activities are certified for AAPA Category 1 PI-CME credit or AAPA Category 1 Self-assessment CME credit. The NCCPA states that these credits are very low cost and can be met for as little as $25 in your own practice or online."

From the OP blog site.

So, I'm looking at these things, and not seeing the "little as $25…..".

Thanks AAPA, loving the new stress factor in my life.

The OP was wrong, it was clarified on the NCCPA site later.

Keep PI cme in perspective.

One needs 40 credits of it by the end of the 4th cycle, 8 years in. 

You need 20 credits of either SA or PI CME every cycle.

SA is easy to obtain and not unreasonable to do. When I was at AAPA in Boston, there were workshops that provided this credit that I realized after the fact. You will likely see the board review courses line up to get this designation also along with much of the CME you do now.

As for the PI cme, this is a sticking point for everyone. On the other hand, what is the rush? Wait a couple of cycles and see what develops.

As for cost, the reality is that there are 2 types of CME. The type you pay real money for is unbiased. The free type is subsidized by medical corporations including big pharma. If money is an issue, then why do you not have CME money to use through your employer?

Last, while the AAPA is serving as a place to search for PI cme, the entity that is requiring is the NCCPA whom is following the lead of many other certifying organizations.

G Brothers PA-C

• 2 weeks later...

I think for myself and others who might be older, this will be a major turn-off.  I will certainly consider retiring at the end of my next cycle because of these requirements.  The PA population needs to have a bigger say in these decisions.  I certainly feel the PI decision is over stepping on the NCCPA 's part and maybe its time for some changes in how we view them.  I certainly feel they are against us not for us.  As long as we allow them to continue to take without anything in return we will continue to keep sending money to their troughs.  Not interested in jumping thru hoops or sending them the money I earned doing my job, where I get  great evals from my employer as well as exemplary feedback from patients. 

• 3 months later...

I would like to weigh in on the new self assessment and personal improvement CME requirement. I think it is a money grab by the AAPA and that PAs should absolutely oppose such new requirements. The whole process has thus far been poorly implemented and will serve only to cost PAs time and money with little added benefit to the practicing PA. We need more input from PAs who are actually in practice. These new requirements are the brainchild of academics who have lost touch with the actual practice of patient care. The new requirements coupled with new ACA requirements are nothing but a time suck on hard working PAs. What we need is new leadership that will address real issues instead of creating new obstacles to the actual practice of providing medical care. I only wish I were closer to retirement as medicine has become more about completion of senseless paperwork and senseless CME than actuall patient care.

i should hope that as more people become aware of the undue burden of the new PI and SA CME requirements they begin an orchestrated movement to recall the requirements. I do not yet think most individuals are aware of how absolutely absurd the new requirements are. PAs already are required to complete more CME than NPs , MDs and DOs. If these requirements are not amended it will most assuredly lead to my leaving the profession earlier than I had wanted.

^ agreed....many doesn't know what's ahead. I paid 300$ just for 20 credit hrs SA CME. And, with limited time as a practicing PA. It has taken me 2mo to complete the SA CME component. Am still working on it. I've also noticed a trend. There has been many company trying to sale PA SA CME as well. I guess everyone wants a piece of the pie.

Don't forget that there may be a second option for some.  This battle can also be fought at the state level.  See what your state organization can do with regard to state licensure requirements.  For some, it may be an easier battle to drop national certification requirements for state licensure than to try to fight an organization that doesn't pay heed to its constituents.  For someone like myself who anticipates being out within eight years, all I have to do is maintain my state licensure requirements (40 hours CME with at least 20 being Cat. I), national certification be damned.

I would like concur, as I was logging my 2012-2014 cycle CMEs, (I feel like I was just finishing the 2010-2012 cycle, wherre does time go? And why do I still feel like I know nothing...I guess it goes w/ that 'ongoing learning' part, eh?), and reading over the new CME requirements kicking in over the next 2-4 years, that 1) This is why I won't be renewing my AAPA membership this year--or, still haven't, b/c I feel like this PA school all over again--a bunch of academics out of touch w/ real-world clinic practice (w/ a few exceptions), and 2) This is a money grab by numerous private organizations who have no true interest in the advocacy of promoting the PA profession in the interests of the patients we're meant to be serving.

I'm curious b/c on my MedPage app news flash, it seems that primary care physicians, especially in FP and IM, have been subject to a similar round of revision in their maintenance of certification requirements.  It's inspired quite a backlash, it seems, for various reasons from questionable benefit to enhancing clinic practice, to essentially using up already scanty time either in office/clinic or out of clinic. 

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/838188

Don't misunderstand.  I think it's imperative providers stay up on their knowledge base relevant to their practice (as hard as it is, between work, life, the universe and everything, including family), but my concern is, what's the point of these changes w/in the PA CMe/recert process?  I don't see any demonstrated benefit in terms of enhancing our daily practice, or promoting the PA profession on equiv grounds with other mid-levels and collaborating (and often, already stretched thin) colleagues, like our SPs. If doctors could organize enough to put the kabosh on advancing something which little demonstrated benefit for the profession beyond, picking people's wallets, and using up precious time (that I take to fight with my EHR--thanks, ObamaCare and meaninful use), then where is the PA outcry on this to reexamine the implementation and actual objectives that these new CME requirements are meant to facilitate?

IDK--I'm confused and irritated.  I love what I do most days, for all the frustration and humbling it brings in my life (the nature of community health clinic/rural health setting work).  I do hope, under the auspices of practice, to continue serving patients as well as I can with the support of all clinic staff, doing no harm, and continuing to build a foundation of my own knowledge for many years to come, but I feel like these CME changes are not consistent with a voice nor mission of what PA practice was/is meant to be and become...

'Sigh'-we'll adapt, I suppose...who knows?.  Maybe there will be a benefit to these changes...

Guest Paula

It's NCCPA who made the CME changes and AAPA had no say in it.  NCCPA is the certification organization and their job is to PROTECT the public from us....or those who are incompetent.   PAs who are upset with the new requirements can and should email NCCPA and express your displeasure.  Also, NCCPA just sent out emails to have practicing PAs fill out their survey on the recert exam.  There is an opportunity to express your thoughts when you take the survey. 

I made my thoughts known on new SA/PI requirements which I am not looking forward to when they start for me next year. 

take a look at the ABIM scandal .... smells like NCCPA in some ways. This is a meaningless exercise designed by people without a real world understanding. I am pretty confident in 2-3 years this will be a done deal. I wonder if economic drivers are in place here ... for example does NCCPA sell the tools to complete these CME ?

• 1 month later...

Regarding the new PI CME requirements, I believe this to be an egregious over reach by the AAPA. I would like to initiate a movement to rescind the PI requirement. The time requirement and fees associated with the new requirement are an impediment to our ability to practice. I will go so far as to acquire legal assistance in fighting the new requirement. The requirement does nothing to improve patient care and requires inordinate time to complete. I am calling for all PAs to bombard the AAPA with letters and demand the PI requirement be discontinued.

Guest Paula

AAPA had nothing to do with the PI CME.  It is our certifying board: NCCPA.  National Commission of Certification for Physician Assistants. 

It is interesting that the AAPA denies culpability in the matter of the new PI CME requirement. My initial reaction was to contact the NCCPA and question the new requirement. The NCCPA denied anything to do with the development of the new requirement. They stated that their role is to document and record compliance with the required CME. They stated that the new PI requirement was the doing of the AAPA. I may even have that e-mail. So it appears nobody wants to claim responsibility for this completely useless requirement. I would like some clarification on who is responsible for the enactment of this new requirement so that I might focus my disdain appropriately.

Guest Paula

Wow, really? NCCPA piloted a survey and some PAs volunteered to do PI/SA CME and the feedback was such that the new requirements were a burden for PAs and would not add anything valuable. NCPPA made the change anyway.  This happened several years ago. 

You could email AAPA and see what they say.  If they deny culpability too then somethings fishy in the state of Denmark.

Would love to see emails from each organization and see if they conflict with each other. 

It's a disaster all around.  Can we trust either organization?  Would love to know the real facts. 

Archived