PA Jobs in Central or South America?

Unfortunately, Puerto Rico is the only territory of the US where there are no PA practice laws. The medical system is highly politicized and it's tough for even an MD to make the transition to PR from the US.

If you're an AAPA member, you can log in here to see what little progress there has been on the issue (nothing since 2010) - http://www.aapa.org/the_pa_profession/federal_and_state_affairs/resources/item.aspx?id=762&hasLoggedIn=yes

Yes, there is a program down there, but I have no clue what the graduates do when they graduate, other than move to the US or St. Thomas/Croix. 

Honestly, there are much better places for AAPA to spend their money and efforts than in PR. The politics, and arguably the island as a whole, are a mess right now. The government is just trying to deal with the debt situation and there is little will to do much else. 

As for places south to practice, St. Thomas and St. Croix are the easiest two. I once came upon an orphanage in Honduras that would take a PA, but that was on a stipend and not a job per se. 

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

ON ISLA DE COZUMEL lat year and toured the International Hospital in San Muigel.  Met the CEO and she told me that I could work there but everything that I sign or do would have to be countersigned by a physician. She also told me how much a physician makes, and at that point I determined that it would be more beneficial for me to work in the states for 2-3 weeks at a time covering the first of the month (last 8 days of the month and first 8 days of next month) and then go back to Cozumel and just hang out for 40 days or so and then repeat

• 1 month later...

the way i understood it was that I would be able to do all the medical stuff that I am trained for, but that the physician would have to sign charts and orders.  no mention was made of credentialling or licensure.  Was a preliminary discussion that will probably NOT bear fruit for me as it will be a better plan for me to live off of my fire department pension and travel around the first of the month to work 6-8 days on each side and then go back and NOT work at all for 30-40 days, and then repeat

Archived