Low GRE? Retake it?

I took my GRE and my scores are

Quant: 143

Verbal: 147

Analytical: 4.0

I'm not sure if I will do much better retaking it or not. When I was at an information session at one of the schools I'm applying to, they actually said they're not sure why the GRE is a requirement and it is the last thing they look at.Do you think it is worth the money to retake it? Would it be considered "A kiss of death"

call programs you are interested in adn see how much they care. many places just have a check box for "applicant has taken gre" as it is required by the university to grant an ms level credential.

keep in mind many programs don't even require the gre.

If you are going to be limited by your score. then take it again, after preparing better.

The GRE has a pretty good math review text at their website that you can download and go through. And you can buy a book that shows you strategies for the verbal part.

Compared to the costs of everything else, taking a month to prepare and repeating the exam isn't all that bad.

Good luck.

Compared to the costs of everything else, taking a month to prepare and repeating the exam isn't all that bad.

Good luck.

Very true, especially compared to the high cost of other speciality admissions tests; I think med and dental run near $500 a pop. Of course I was also surprised that the PANCE is another $500 as soon as I graduate....but then again I should have expected that.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I took my GRE and my scores are

Quant: 143

Verbal: 147

Analytical: 4.0

I'm not sure if I will do much better retaking it or not. When I was at an information session at one of the schools I'm applying to, they actually said they're not sure why the GRE is a requirement and it is the last thing they look at.Do you think it is worth the money to retake it? Would it be considered "A kiss of death"

You can definitely do better if you prepare, which is part of what makes it ridiculous. On the quant you need to brush up on some math tricks that you will only remember as long as needed to take the test. For both quant and verbal some strategy will help you improve your score even though you may not really be any smarter afterwards. The best reason to retake the test is that you will face more multiple choice tests in life and it helps to learn strategies to maximize your score.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived