Wait List

This application cycle I haven't been accepted to any schools and put on the wait list for 2 of them, which is extremely frustrating. Neither of these schools give out rankings. I want to try contacting these programs to see if there was any way I could increase my chances of being taken off the wait list if the opportunity arrises, or at least find out how I can improve my chances for next year. From past experience is this something a lot of people do? I don't want to seem rude by reaching out to the schools but I figure if I have been wait-listed twice now their must be a reason why and something I can do to help my chances for next year.

A lot of people DO come off the wait list. But if for some reason you don't, call the school and set up an interview (in person if you're close, phone if you're not) and talk to a faculty member about your application. I did this when I wasn't accepted and they were more than happy to tell me where I was strong, and where I could use improvement. Seeking out advice from the program could be the best thing you do, because it shows them that A) you are open to constructive feedback and B) that you are going to apply again.

• 2 weeks later...

I was put on the wait list for my top choice school so I wrote a letter of intent/letter of interest the minute I heard I was wait listed. In that letter I said that I was extremely interested in their school and that I would accept a seat if I was offered one (only do so though if you are highly interested in their school and would definitely accept a seat). I wrote why I was interested in their school and then wrote a final paragraph of why I would be an excellent choice for their school and updates on my recent activities. You can google for letter of interest examples for some more helpful tips. I then printed it out on really nice office paper at Kinko's and express mailed it to my school.

Just TWO weeks later, I received a phone call saying that I was accepted and was actually told that I wrote a really nice letter and that the admissions staff really liked it so definitely write a strong letter if you're wait listed.

if you are on a wait list I would follow up with a letter explaining why you are a good cand, thanking them for a wait list opportunity, and updating them on your credentials. Do not push it further. What can you do to improve ? Depends on your weakness ... no HCE? become an EMT/volunteer with an EMS group.   Low GPA? consider an MPH or further education to improve those numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived