UF Class of 2017 Applicants

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats culbreth! Let us know if you have any questions. Are you coming from out of town/state? Be sure to plan on attending the optional activities such as the dinner with current students and a class if possible. It doesn't affect your acceptance chances in any way but it will calm your nerves. If you are coming from out of town/state and are flying, plan on coming the day before. There have been people who missed interviews because they didn't allow enough travel time (flights cancelled, etc). Checko and Soulfari who are on the forum will be a big help to you, I am sure :-)

Thank you!! I live in Orlando so it will be a quick trip. Yes I will absolutely be attending the optional activities since I've heard about how wonderful they are! Thank you so much for offering to help me. I look forward to meeting all of you! Any tips or other pieces of advice for the interview?

Parking is difficult on campus and near the hospital unless you want to pay $10 for one of the garages. But there aren't any hotels in a short walking distance. Some have recommended the hotel in the Reitz Union on campus (still a bit of a walk but not too bad in comfortable shoes). Others have recommended the Holiday inn at the corner of 13th St and University. Wherever you stay be sure you tell them that you are interviewing at UF - some hotels offer a discount. Others who applied more recently may be able to give you additional advice. Just plan ahead so you can find parking if you are not in walking distance. Best advice is to come into town early and locate the building where you will be interviewing.

Good luck!

They will send you a map of all the parking options. Your best bet is to park in the hospital parking. There is a lot on the south side of Archer that is near the cancer center and relatively convenient to the PA offices. 

As for hotels, both of Woodsters suggestions are good. However, unless you won't have a car, I'd just find something comfortable that you can afford. Traffic can be bad on Archer around 8AM, so just plan some extra time and you'll be fine. The Paramount Plaza Hotel on 13th is relatively close as well. The closest hotel is a Best Value Inn on 13th, which I did stay at last summer and was pleasantly surprised. It's nothing fancy, but it was clean and comfortable. I would stay away from the Days Inn on 13th, though. 

As for other suggestions, there is a Hampton Inn downtown that's in a cool part of town.

As for the interview, be yourself. You're going to hear that over and over again. In the past they have really wanted to get to know who you are as a person. Don't give the textbook answers that you read in some guide, tell them what you think. They can see through the BS. Beyond that, I don't think anyone knows the perfect way to act or what to say that will get you into UF. It's a great school, so be excited, and good luck!

Thank you! Sure, no problem.

GPA: 3.8

GRE: 310

Direct Patient Care: 1400 hours (as a CNA)

Shadowing (ARNP, PA, DO, MD): 400 hours

Volunteer hours: 700 hours

Graduating in August from UCF

You have to consider the other factors too. For instance, I'm an honors student who started a charity in 2010 and a marketing company in 2012. I have shadowed/worked in multiple fields to gain experience such as biomedical research, family practice, emergency medicine, pediatric nephrology, endocrinology, etc. 

Best of luck to you!

There's no magic formula for getting an interview invite. Statistics are just one component of the decision to interview. Every program wants to build a diverse class. Your major makes a difference, your reference letters, your personal statement, hobbies/interests, etc. It's never very useful to know someone else's stats because they don't want a class full of the "same person". Hang in there!

Congrats on the interview Culbreth! I'm graduating from UCF in August as well. I wonder if we've had a few classes together!

I received my email that my application was complete and under review 7/8 so I guess the other email was just to let me know they had received my application. Now waiting very patiently for a phone call...as my phone is attached to my hip lol!

Check out this link...you'll see the ranges are wide for who gets into UF. There is no perfect candidate. Also, if there is anything you aren't sure about, prereqs, grades, GRE and you can't find it on the website, do email the program. They are friendly people who really want to help.

http://pap.med.ufl.edu/admissions/acceptance/class-profile-from-recent-years/

No need to get impatient with the waiting. One way or another you are going to wait. It's still early, though, and other than one mention of an interview invite here on this forum, none of the people I know who have applied have received an invite. The order of the receipt of your materials does not necessarily play into the order in which you will be invited for an interview. So don't lose hope!

Archived