National Guard PA

What's the process becoming a PA in the state national guard? Is it easier for scholarships and do they offer good fed loan repayment programs? 

I'd like to join the guard after PA graduation, but not be committed to AD through a scholarship program - I don't mind pulling out a loan for school and get help paying it back after graduating. 

I was in the NG for 7 years never as a PA though.  I know a while ago they offered some nice repayment programs.  With current budget cuts I would not rely on it being there when you graduate.  They are drastically cutting people.  Apparently they want it to be the lowest amount of personnel since " pre-WWII".  I would have a back up plan if you require the repayment.  Also if you ONLY want to join the guard for the loan repayment then you should probably look elsewhere.  There is a commitment and the possibility to do things that will be "inconvenient" to your regular life.  that includes weekends, annual trainaing, and the possibility of a deployment (less likely now, but still possible)  If you want to serve and the loan repayment is a bonus then I think you will find it very enjoyable. 

If you are interested in the NG, you should speak with your state's AMEDD recruiter. They are the people that exclusively recruit medical professionals.
There are loan repayment programs in the NG. The last I checked, there was $75k for a 3 year drilling commitment. Then there was another $60k paid out for the following three years. I don't know if those are still available. Again, talk to your AMEDD recruiter.

Another thing to think about is that the military has its own PA school. If you aren't already in a civilian PA program, you can join the Guard and apply for a spot at IPAP - the Interservice Physician Assistant Program.

Archived