Northern Arizona University's new PA program

NAU is in the process of getting accredited for their PA program. They have a site visit in November 2011, and project to have an answer by March 2012, and matriculate their first class in the summer 2012. This is a state school so it'll be much cheaper than A.T. Still and Midwestern, I assume. Classes will be taken in Phoenix. This would have been a great option for me, but I'll be close to graduation by then, in Oct 2012.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

That would be amazing. I go to ASU right now and plan on applying to PA School for 2013 after getting more health care experience. I'm willing to go to a different state for PA school if not accepted into Midwestern or AT, but I really want to stay in Arizona and the Phoenix area. I love it here.

• 3 weeks later...
That would be amazing. I go to ASU right now and plan on applying to PA School for 2013 after getting more health care experience. I'm willing to go to a different state for PA school if not accepted into Midwestern or AT, but I really want to stay in Arizona and the Phoenix area. I love it here.

I love Phoenix too. Can't wait to get back. I'm in Vegas right now and I prefer to be in Phoenix.

I was on their mailing list and this is the info I received from them the other day. Hope you find it helpful.

Dear Prospective PA Student,

The new NAU Physician Assistant Studies Program development is moving along well, and as promised, we have determined the program prerequisites.

Because the program will be an intensive 24 months, it is critical that you are adequately prepared for the pace and rigor of the curriculum. To that end, our faculty has established the following list of prerequisites as well as other recommended coursework and experiences that they believe will provide you with the information and skills necessary to be a successful student in the program.

In addition to this list, you will be required to submit the results of the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) taken within the past five years (both the current and new test will be accepted). For those whose first language is not English, TOEFL scores must also be submitted.

Prerequisites (ALL coursework must be from regionally accredited US schools)

Bachelors level degree or higher

Min. 3.0 GPA

College level courses (min. 3 semester credits or 4 quarter credits):

2 in Chemistry (inorganic, organic, or biochem)

1 in anatomy

1 in physiology

OR 2 sequential combined anatomy and physiology courses (assuring that all body systems have been covered)

1 in statistics (biostats, educational stats, general stats, finance stats)

1 in microbiology

1 in genetics

1 hands-on science lab course (NOT online)

AND at least two upper division biology courses (level 300 or above) in addition to the above requirements

Other Recommended Coursework and Experience

Complete some the prerequisite coursework in the last five years

Refresher courses in anatomy and physiology taken in the last two years

College level courses (not survey courses) in:

Biochemistry

Immunology

Organic Chemistry

Abnormal Psychology

Ideally . . . in addition to the above

A minimum of 500 hours of health care experience, with no more than 20 hours of shadowing experience counted toward the 500 hours. Both volunteer and paid experiences are acceptable.

At least 50 semester credit hours of upper division science courses

Many of you have inquired about the application process. This first year, we will not be using CASPA, but will have our application for admission posted on the NAU PA web site. At this time, we anticipate the application will be available in October, 2011 and selection will begin in January, 2012. It is also likely that the new program will begin August, 2012 rather than June, 2012 as earlier anticipated. I will send out another email as soon as we know the specific application and program start dates.

I hope this provides you with the additional information you need to prepare for a fall application to the new Physician Assistant program. We are delighted to have such a wonderful response and look forward to working with you through the application process. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Best Regards,

Kay Look

Program Coordinator

602-776-4656

Kay.look@nau.edu

I was on their mailing list and this is the info I received from them the other day. Hope you find it helpful.

Dear Prospective PA Student,

The new NAU Physician Assistant Studies Program development is moving along well, and as promised, we have determined the program prerequisites.

Because the program will be an intensive 24 months, it is critical that you are adequately prepared for the pace and rigor of the curriculum. To that end, our faculty has established the following list of prerequisites as well as other recommended coursework and experiences that they believe will provide you with the information and skills necessary to be a successful student in the program.

In addition to this list, you will be required to submit the results of the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) taken within the past five years (both the current and new test will be accepted). For those whose first language is not English, TOEFL scores must also be submitted.

Prerequisites (ALL coursework must be from regionally accredited US schools)

Bachelors level degree or higher

Min. 3.0 GPA

College level courses (min. 3 semester credits or 4 quarter credits):

2 in Chemistry (inorganic, organic, or biochem)

1 in anatomy

1 in physiology

OR 2 sequential combined anatomy and physiology courses (assuring that all body systems have been covered)

1 in statistics (biostats, educational stats, general stats, finance stats)

1 in microbiology

1 in genetics

1 hands-on science lab course (NOT online)

AND at least two upper division biology courses (level 300 or above) in addition to the above requirements

Other Recommended Coursework and Experience

Complete some the prerequisite coursework in the last five years

Refresher courses in anatomy and physiology taken in the last two years

College level courses (not survey courses) in:

Biochemistry

Immunology

Organic Chemistry

Abnormal Psychology

Ideally . . . in addition to the above

A minimum of 500 hours of health care experience, with no more than 20 hours of shadowing experience counted toward the 500 hours. Both volunteer and paid experiences are acceptable.

At least 50 semester credit hours of upper division science courses

Many of you have inquired about the application process. This first year, we will not be using CASPA, but will have our application for admission posted on the NAU PA web site. At this time, we anticipate the application will be available in October, 2011 and selection will begin in January, 2012. It is also likely that the new program will begin August, 2012 rather than June, 2012 as earlier anticipated. I will send out another email as soon as we know the specific application and program start dates.

I hope this provides you with the additional information you need to prepare for a fall application to the new Physician Assistant program. We are delighted to have such a wonderful response and look forward to working with you through the application process. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Best Regards,

Kay Look

Program Coordinator

602-776-4656

Kay.look@nau.edu

Thanks for posting. Do you have any idea about their tuition? This is a state school so I would imagine it'd be cheaper than Midwestern and A.T. Still

NAU really isn't the best school...just because it is cheaper doesn't mean you should choose it. I think it is really stupid to have such low health care experience hours as a requirement...nothing really compares to experience.

How do you know about the school? Their program is brand new. I'm not saying they are good or bad, only questioning what you base your answer off of. If you have some insight that may be helpful, please share. I'm not to excited about the school myself only because of the probation period they will have to go through as a new school. On top of that, they are going to be ironing out all the wrinkles as a new program...and I don't feel like being a guinea pig.

How do you know about the school? Their program is brand new. I'm not saying they are good or bad, only questioning what you base your answer off of. If you have some insight that may be helpful, please share. I'm not to excited about the school myself only because of the probation period they will have to go through as a new school. On top of that, they are going to be ironing out all the wrinkles as a new program...and I don't feel like being a guinea pig.

As a University, they are sub par. I went there for my bachelor's. New programs/programs under change are definitely definitely not the greatest. I was in their nursing program which had been going under changes the entire time I was there. They kept dinosaur teachers who had not been at the bedside for a decade, and the entire program was run by hormonal older women. Let me just tell you it was an awful experience and yeah....being a guinea pig was not fun. I think that the fact that NAU is already requiring less health care experience hours fits their motive. They just want people to fill their school. Easy money. "Oh hey students! Here we require less HCE, and are cheaper! We are also new so come on by, it should be easier to get in!" AKA, We are 'dumb-ing' down the profession so that we can get students up here.. If you want the best experience and the best education, you want a school that has a long standing history of producing classes with high pass rates and truly...a lot of the time, you get what you pay for.

• 10 months later...

One thing that appeals to me about NAU is that it is going to be in the brand new medical facility in downtown next to tgen and I would guess there may be some overlap between the UofA med school and this program.... but other than that, yeah I concur with everyone here that this is a PA school which is targeting a younger, "fresh out of college" crowd.

• 2 months later...

I also chose to attend the NAU program over a few other programs in state and out of state and couldn't be happier! The facility is amazing and the faculty is incredible! You have to check it out yourself just to see and I have very high hopes for this program and am so honored to be a part of their first official class :)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

@runforhotdogs The school focuses on creating PAs that will serve Arizonan communities so it is expected that if you are to attend NAU, you will stay in AZ as a PA-C as stated in one of their goals: "to prepare graduates to practice in diverse settings throughout Arizona." Their other statistics show a majority of their students find jobs within Arizona and a high amount practice in primary care, two attributes valuable to the program. So the question is asked to see if you intend to stay within the state of Arizona long-term. 

For those unfamiliar with the NAU campus from out-of-state and are looking to possibly relocate to AZ, I just want to say that the PA NAU program is located in the heart of downtown Phoenix in a beautiful, state-of-the-art biomedical facility that is shared with other medical professionals including the UofA school of medicine (MD) program. There are many videos out there about the campus and the facility such as on youtube to show what it might be like studying there. Additionally, being located downtown, there is always something happening on the weekends and never a dull moment. Phoenix is rich with art and culture with actual art celebrations occurring every first Friday of the month. There is also a light-rail system that runs throughout the city to offer convenient traveling and something unique to the community is that Phoenix was built on a grid-system so all streets are laid-out in a square pattern to make commuting easier. The city is also expanding its highway system which will be updated by 2019 to provide connections between west and east valley locations. For those looking to explore, there are so many great hiking spots nearby the city and lots of places to trails outside of the city such as Sedona, Flagstaff, Tucson, Cottonwood, Jerome, etc. It truly is a diverse state with a lot to offer and a great place to call home. I hope many people consider AZ when choosing to apply for PA school! 

@jefinner22 While NAU requires only 500 HCE, it is the only school in AZ to list a number because neither ATSU nor MWU requires HCE but it is recommended by both programs, whereas NAU actually has a requirement; however only 50 seats are available at this time so it is more competitive to gain acceptance and probably values candidates with higher HCE when making decisions as most programs do. Faculty members of NAU actually engage in research and have made publications to JAAPA and are active in their community. The program promotes community service and I have heard great things about NAU from other students have attended during their undergrad. As a public program, they have certain standards to maintain as regulated by state.  

Archived