• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that got interviews: what kind and how much hands-on healthcare experience did you have? It's mandatory for this next application cycle, so I'm trying to figure out what are my best HCE options. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those that got interviews: what kind and how much hands-on healthcare experience did you have? It's mandatory for this next application cycle, so I'm trying to figure out what are my best HCE options. Thanks guys!

I only had 200 hours at the hospital where I volunteered (I volunteered in the NICU as a "cuddler" and got to hold all the little preemie babies -- I loved it!). Most of my other HCE came from my job as an ER scribe, which I'm sure you know doesn't count as hands-on experience. It's definitely not easy to achieve unless you have some sort of certification (EMT, RN, CNA, MA, etc). I think this new requirement will definitely be a game changer for next year, and will cut down significantly on the number of qualified applicants. Just my two cents. 

I interviewed and was accepted.  I had about 2000 HCE's as a Cytotechnologist and as an EMT- the EMT hours are the most abundant and most current.  I had 12000 hours of other health care experience as a Cytotech.  These hours are not direct patient care but health care related- the difference was working in a hospital where I interacted with patients and working in a lab where I did not.  I had 125 hours shadowing PA's in various settings.  I had 1100 total volunteer hours in lots of areas over my lifetime (I am old).  I also had nine or ten different entries in Awards/prof. Org/Leadership areas. 

I am not sure what will give you an edge but I think the more volunteering you can do and the more hands on patient care you can get, I would concentrate on that.  I think that is the most important part in picking a candidate, along with GPA, etc.

Hi VMMtx,

I am a part of the class of 2017. I interviewed on Oct 13th. Here are my stats hopefully it helps future applicants. 

Nontraditional student

GPA 3.39

Science 3.46

HCE- 2500 hours Medical Assistant/Scrub Technician

Health care related- 200 hours Surgery Coordinator

PA shadow time- 200 hours I shadowed three different PAs and worked with one

Volunteer- 450 hours (Meals on Wheels, Grace Hospice, and American Cancer Society) I volunteered with organizations I am passionate about.

I submitted all my paperwork within three weeks after CASPA had opened, I made sure to ask all my references a few months before if they could write me recommendation letters (PA, MD, and professor wrote my RLs), I had all the links to where I needed to request my transcripts saved to my computer so when I needed to request the transcripts it was only a click away, I wrote my personal statement three months before the application opened so it was ready to go, and as for volunteer time it is something I have always been apart of. 

If it is difficult to get HCE I highly recommend doing a CNA course which I believe only takes about 6 weeks to complete (not sure length of time) or maybe look for a doctor's office that is willing to train without a certification. Good luck and please let me know if you have any other questions. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived