You should never take a position that is strictly based on wRVU's and has no guaranteed base salary each year. I am actually going through contract negotiations myself right now and they tried to do this to me. I have since spent over 50 hours researching all about the RVU system and how it relates to PAs. I actually have a post about a week or so back on the same topic. There are a couple of great articles another PAForum member cited in that post of mine from a few weeks ago that will definitely help you out, I suggest give them a read. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me again via this post.

Good luck.

I did see that after I posted this. I've downloaded the AAPA articles and started reading them. I've been thinking the same thing. A PA will never show their value in numbers on a paper in a surgical practice. I can't see how this would be very profitable for me as I see so many postoperative patients so that my boss can see the new patients.

I try to avoid All-None statements.......

NEVER take a job based on RVUs is not great advice

Tracking RVUs can be difficult for a PA - if you are surgery you have to get credit for each first assist (rather or not the practice get paid)  Also in the global period of surgery your services have to be tracked and accounted for (surgeons are not used to doing this)

I have had a couple friends on RVU based pay and they do VERY well.  You do still need to get all the bennies associated with employment

Also, it requires the practice to 1) have a method to track EXACTLY RVUs generated by the PA and 2) give you 100% access to these figures

and this is the problem - most practices have no ability to do this......

Archived