Quality of Clinicals and Program

I'm not a current or former student, but I interviewed this past summer for the program and I was told in my interview with the clinical coordinator that most, if not all of my rotations would be outside of Idaho. I'm not sure if he was just saying that so if I did have trouble finding rotations in Idaho i wouldn't be disappointed  or if it really is true. If that is true, it sucks, the whole point of staying in Idaho would be to network for future jobs in Idaho through my rotations. For me it defeats the purpose in going to ISU

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The program is almost 100% classroom for the first year, then all clinical the second year. I found the amount of memorization and the long classroom hours to not work well for me. In hindsight, I would have preferred a school that has an on-campus hospital and does both classroom and clinicals the entire time, rather than separating them into their own years. I don't think ISUs set-up is ideal for anyone, but there were definitely people worked fine in that structure.

Regarding clinical rotations, there are Idaho "tracks" where all, or almost all, of your rotations are in Idaho. People with kids and family, or that already owned a home in Idaho definitely preferred those. Or you can open yourself to the lottery, in which everyone puts in their preferences and software evens out the happiness and the sadness of the rotations you get or failed to get. If you choose the lottery option, it seemed like maybe slightly less than 50% were in state, the bulk of the rest were in nearby states, and there were a few oddball outliers far away. You can set up your own rotations. Start early. It takes a long time to set up rotations.

Archived