So lately I have been doing some number crunching and I am trying to figure out what a safe amount of $$ will be for everything except tuition......

Assuming rent is ~1,200 a month, I am looking at 36K alone in rent after 30 months....What do current students think would be a safe number for other related living costs such as food/gas/cable/electricity ect... for the entire 30 months? 

36K for rent + ___________ ORC = Total loan amount without tuition for 30 months.

Holy cow 1,200 a month for rent alone!? You should ask First year students from your program how much they pay for gas, power and internet. I believe you apply for loans per semester so keep in mind that the will only give you enough for the first semester for living expenses.

This might be an unpopular suggestion (especially for someone who is going to soon be a poor, starving graduate student) but it is frequently worthwhile speaking to a financial advisor for stuff like this. Doing so might set you back a few hundred dollars initially but in the long run you can realize big dividends.

Student loans are something to have a healthy respect for. Unlike some other loans, they are "unforgivable" in many circumstances. You go bankrupt, students loans do not go away. You die, they bounce over to your estate. 

The risk is greatly decreased by the fact that you are going into a field in demand with good compensation. But for a financial decision that will impact your life for decades you might do well to get a professional, objective opinion.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Booboobusdriver
      Hello everyone!
      I was wondering if anyone knew how CBU calculated their prerequisite GPA? Do they do it on their own? Do they take your highest course if you’ve repeated a pre req? 

If anyone has any info it is greatly appreciated!
    • By WomenOfSTEM
      I am a member of AAPA and maybe I am unfamiliar with the website, but I want to make the most learning from the site and using it.
      How do PA-S or PA-C use it? As a Pre-PA how can I use the site and its resources to help?
      I appreciate it!
    • By VirginiaTech117
      Hey guys my name is Geena and I'm a PA at a primary care in Philadelphia. We are currently hiring scribes and medical assistants (no experience required- we will train). This is a great opportunity for pre-PA's who need experience hours! Message me for details 🙂
    • By LCMoon85
      I saw a thread started somewhere but it wasn’t connected to this board. 

I feel like we are slacking this year! Where is everyone?? 😂 
    • By Gratefulguy
      Hi guys, 
      I didn't see a new thread. Hope this helps you guys. Just like in previous years they are moving forward, but it may look a bit different because COVID seems to be slowing down. Here's the email I received on 5/11/2021. I submitted my application on 5/3/2021 and verified on 5/11/2021. 

Thank you for applying to the Radford University Carilion PA program. This email is to let you know that your application is complete, has been marked as "Verified", and we have received your RU supplemental application. Your application will be put in a queue to be reviewed. You may still provide updates to your application through the CASPA website.
      Once applications are reviewed, we will make decisions on whom to interview. Our earliest interview dates will be in September. As we don't yet have exact dates selected for interviews, we will likely make offers for interviews in early July at the soonest.
      We will send out periodic updates to keep you apprised of your status. However, with the necessary changes in how we accomplish our tasks, those updates may not be as frequent as we would like them to be. We are happy to answer any questions that come up, and you are welcome to email me at rhadley1@radford.edu.
      Thank you,
      Bob Hadley

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More