Plavix vs Coumadin bleeding risk

Anyone have insight on this topic... I am trying to find out if plavix has a lower bleeding risk than coumadin and if it could be substitued for coumadin in such a situation.  My research has pointed towards no but this is something I have seen so am curious of your all's opinion.  My understanding is that plavix (by itself), coumadin, and even ASA (by itself) all have similar bleeding risks.

To my knowledge, Plavix and coumadin do not share any indications.

We sometimes add to or substitute Plavix for aspirin.

Coumadin is indicated for afib, artificial valves, DVT,  PE, prior embolic CVA, etc. as well as various coagulopathies such as Factor V Leiden. Some of those indications also fit some of the new generation anticoagulants such as Xarelto, Eliquis, or Pradaxa.

All anticoagulants have risks. We do sometimes try to manage INR levels very closely, such as trying to keep INRs between 2.0 and 2.5 for people with afib who also have bleeding risks. Basically you walk a fine line and to fall off on either side can present a risk. Hope this helps.

Archived