Affordable Otoscope/ ophthalmoscope diagnostic set

I bought the best Welch Allyn set I could afford when I was in school. It has been utterly reliable and is built such that I could drive nails with it. I have replaced the battery twice and the otoscope bulb once. Many people will disagree with me, but I can't imagine not owning a diagnostic set. For the rest of your career you will probably have a variety of neighbors, nieces/nephews and other assorted folks that will want you to look in their ear from time to time...

I have said this before and said it again: buy something cheap ($50).  You will be using ones provided for you in hospital/clinic/etc rooms for the rest of your career.  Do not waste money on this.  I have a feeling many people who bought this did so because money was not an issue for them.  Actually I have seen these expensive ones malfunction and not work on exam days (PE exams).  My $50 set, bought from another student but I also found it online for the same price later, is still going strong, and works just as well.  I forget the name brand but search for the post in this part of the forum and I think I listed a link to it.

If you are patient you can get a great deal on a Welsh allyn on eBay from a student who used it twice and then sell it for as much or more than you paid for it after school.

Personally I bought a nice one to keep ( on eBay) as I like eyes and want to be able to use it for check for foreign bodies in friends/wife's eyes if need be.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Archived