NHSC 2014

Guest RainbowUnikittyPAC

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love my site! I am not from a disadvantaged background but did have experience with teaching kids in an inner city disadvantaged area and homeless adults.

Thank you for your reply! I want to relocate if I receive the scholarship! Did they help you move? And is your site rural or urban? And will you continue you commitment? 

They provided the moving company, sent someone to estimate how large a truck was needed, and packed & moved me across the country. I literally did not lift a finger. They provided the boxes and packed & labeled everything. They paid for the entire move. I will definitely continue the commitment but I am not sure if it will be in CA or NY. My site is in the Central Valley of CA, pop around 250,000 with a heavy population of MediCal (Medicaid) patients.

They provided the moving company, sent someone to estimate how large a truck was needed, and packed & moved me across the country. I literally did not lift a finger. They provided the boxes and packed & labeled everything. They paid for the entire move. I will definitely continue the commitment but I am not sure if it will be in CA or NY. My site is in the Central Valley of CA, pop around 250,000 with a heavy population of MediCal (Medicaid) patients.

Thank you for your reply! Few more question, lol. When did you hear back? Was it early summer or fall? And did you receive adequate training before taking on your patient load.

Thanks again for answering! :)

In 2010 the award emails went out in October...I hear that they let the recipients know a lot sooner now. My clinic didn't give me adequate training at all, just basically parachuted us in. But 18 mos down the road, it's alright, I have learned so much!

Jts, thank you so much for your patience in answering questions! I'm applying for NHSC this year, and underserved populations are my passion. Two questions for you: how was the site search experience? Did it feel like NHSC gave you enough support finding a suitable site? And also, you mentioned that you were not from a disadvantaged background. Neither am I, and I was wondering if you, personally, concentrated your application more on your desire to serve than your financial need? Thanks again, and congrats on fulfilling your commitment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jts, thank you so much for your patience in answering questions! I'm applying for NHSC this year, and underserved populations are my passion. Two questions for you: how was the site search experience? Did it feel like NHSC gave you enough support finding a suitable site? And also, you mentioned that you were not from a disadvantaged background. Neither am I, and I was wondering if you, personally, concentrated your application more on your desire to serve than your financial need? Thanks again, and congrats on fulfilling your commitment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My site search experience was actually exciting. I started early...in March 2012. I graduated PA School in Sept 2012. But I wanted to get a jump on what was out there in NHSC jobs. I had good responses form most sites and I narrowed it down to CA, Alaska, North Carolina, and Boston. You will have phone interviews, then if a site is interested, they will invite you for a personal interview. I looked at it as an adventure, which it certainly has been. My financial need was never a factor on my application; in fact, they never asked about it at all. Definitely concentrate on your desire to serve the underserved! 

NHSC Scholarship application question: 

What do we upload for the unofficial transcript? 

Neither my undergraduate nor graduate degree are in relevant fields (economics, health policy)... and I did my prerequisites at two different community colleges. And, we are only able to upload one document... 

Guest RainbowUnikittyPAC

Anyone have any helpful input on the resume?  I've never written a resume for a scholarship before and am not sure what you typically include in one.

Vidaurbana, I like my site very much. I work five 8-hour days, 8:30 to 5:30. I have an option to work four 10-hour days, but I started to like my clinic and have a patient following there. The only thing I am not crazy about is working every other Saturday. And yes, my salary is competitive considering that I left PA School completely debt-free. There was a range of about $10,000 in salaries that were offered when I started to get serious about sites back in 2012. Utimately I took the job in the area I could see myself living in for two years and I am having a great time out here. I see a lot of different cases and get to work with a wide variety of providers who have been very helpful and eager to share their knowledge. I have made friends and honestly am considering staying out here when my contract ends. The ONLY reason I wouldn't is the 3,000 miles separating me from my family and friends back home.

Is anyone else having a miserable time with the 2500 character count? The first essay was easy, but these last two are really trying my nerves

HI Snoofle-

I believe we both applied to Emory this last go around! Congratulations!

I am also struggling with the word count and in particular not overlapping my essays- I feel like I keep answering all three questions in one essay, then have to figure out how to say the same thing differently in the other ones!

Anyone have any suggestions?

HI Snoofle-

I believe we both applied to Emory this last go around! Congratulations!

I am also struggling with the word count and in particular not overlapping my essays- I feel like I keep answering all three questions in one essay, then have to figure out how to say the same thing differently in the other ones!

Anyone have any suggestions?

I am submitting mine soon. I started one  essay with a anecdote, one with a real life experience and the last one with a more formal tone. I wanted to make sure my essays reflect my quirky personality and my serious side..along with my desire to work with this population. Not sure if this helps.. :/

When you view the PDF of your completed application, does it list anything on the Letter of Recommendation page? Mine said that everything was complete and I submitted my application but that page looks blank when I view the confirmation.

When you view the PDF of your completed application, does it list anything on the Letter of Recommendation page? Mine said that everything was complete and I submitted my application but that page looks blank when I view the confirmation.

I received that same page when I checked my PDF. I called the NHSC support line yesterday  and they confirmed that everything has been sent in.

Archived