How can you stand being a CNA?

I will say that I'm glad I did it because I have learned so much that I never would've otherwise. It's very hard on my body physically and very stressful emotionally (at least, where I work) so I cannot imagine doing this for years on end like some of my coworkers but at the end of the day, it is an important job that needs to be done.

I remember being psyched to finally have the chance to change bedpans and do all of that sort of thing, granted it did wear off after about an hour. Seriously though- having access to patients and knowledgeable nurses is a real privilege. It's possible to coast by clocking in and out every day, but if you take advantage of where you are you can learn a ton. I formed a lot of great relationships with some nurses who knew I was going to PA school and they would go out of their way to show me some pretty cool stuff and let me do some things under their supervision. I know it's not glamorous work and it can be pretty emotionally trying- but if you can handle it then it's a good sign for your ability to thrive in that atmosphere. 

If you can be a CNA then you can do anything. I have gained an iron stomach.

Cli6fJz.gif In all seriousness, I felt like this way before starting my CNA program as my mother was a RN, she shared a lot of 'stuff' with me early on like watching her in the observatory deck while she would conduct surgeries when I was younger.  

After I graduate I'm getting my emt b. Hopefully I can land a job as an ER Tech, but the jobs I'm looking at online require 2 years of ED experience + EKG and IV knowledge. I'm pretty sure emt b teaches neither.

I'll just have to see.

I do plan to go further than be a CNA and save my money (if that is even remotely possible with a CNA wage) and possibly consider becoming an EMT-B etc. If anythng upsets me with this (so far) is I have tried for quite some time to 'network' on my own and find a job in a clinical setting. I was hoping someone would have shown me the ropes or trained me in the medical/clinical industry, but nothing transpired (despite knowing people). So, now that I am a CNA I am just hoping I will get to do more than 'clean' and be noticed by hopsitals/clinics/doctors and recruiters (HR) so I can add it to my experience (and not just for PA school). Yes, it has been one of the challenging things I have done (despite having a degree and becoming a career changer). HINT xi3OAcg.gif HINT! SsssOooo if anyone is looking for a newly minted CNA, look no further here I am 

It gives you appreciation for those working in nursing. Chances are good that most of you will be working with someone in the nursing field. I've been a nursing assistant for almost 3 years and I truly enjoy my job. Sure, there are crappy days, literally... but most of the time it's a beneficial and satisfying job. However, I work in the float pool in a hospital with a lot of variety (ER, rehab, behavioral psych, mood disorders, medsurg, etc...) where it's harder to get burned out as quickly.

The character of a leadership team and how they are held accountable is one of the most revealing and important elements of success

IMHO, changing the culture of nursing homes is an evolving process. It begins with viewing nursing homes as places where people live – not just places where people go to work. It also means respecting the wishes and needs of those who live there.

I am interested in being a PA but I don't know how to get more HCE hours. I have been considering taking a CNA class at Red Cross, but I find the course extremely boring and honestly I do not want to do the dirty work. I would be interested in doing EKGs and blood draws, but bedpans and bathing sound horrendous to me. I don't really understand why it's important to have this experience if PAs don't have to do this work. 

I have an EMT certificate and have applied for a few per diem/part time positions for ED tech at hospitals but haven't had luck in hearing back from any. I don't know if it's because I don't have too much experience as an EMT, am applying only for per diem shifts, or if CNA is the preferred certification. Do you know if a CNA certificate would help me get a hospital based clinical job such as ED tech, patient care tech, etc if I already have a EMT certificate?  

Also do PA schools prefer to see a continuous period of paid clinical employment rather than having clinical hours scattered about from volunteering in different positions during undergrad years? 

Thread tl;dr.

If the bolded portion of your post is true, then health care is not for you, my friend.

Archived