Hi guys,

I'm  a new grad interviewing for a couple of different jobs. Just got my first offer yesterday, and was wondering what you all think. 

Elective ortho surgery, basically equal time split between office and first assist in surgery. 5 days/wk, no nights, no weekends, no call, no holidays. I live in the southeastern US.

Salary 80k + 50% what I make beyond overhead

$2000 CME/2yrs

Full medical, dental, vision available for $240/mo for me+family.

Malpractice is paid for by the practice but I don't think they have tail coverage.

401k matches up to 4% of yearly salary plus additional contribution based on the practice's profits.

Vested after 90 days.

Looks like about 3 weeks of PTO starting out. 

I think that's all the details I have right now. I did have another ortho surgery job lined up that ended up falling through that was offering me closer to 90k with quick opportunities for increasing that but required buying own insurance. The PAs at that practice were making at least 150k after several years and it seemed very attractive, but the schedule was much more hectic and focused on getting as many patients in and out as possible, and that made me less comfortable.

I'm very happy with the schedule and feel happy and comfortable with the doc and the practice (I shadowed for a day as part of the interview process), but I would like to be making more than 80k...coming out of school that was the low number I set in my mind for what I would accept as a first job. Do any of you have tips about how to ask for more or what the pay increase structure is? I've never negotiated obviously and don't want to screw this up. 

80k as a new grad with the other details doesn't seem too bad. I was interviewing for a job starting at 75k (in ortho, similar set up) with similar benefits but then they told me that after 6 months it would jump to 80k and then after a year another 5 k making it 85k. But I wasn't even offered the job yet so I'm sure they would have bent even a little bit more. So you may be able to work out something like that. Kind of like a retention bonus. But obviously it's only their first offer and you can almost always squeeze some extra cash out of them, at least from my experience. Just ask for more it's that easy. Don't come across meek either just boldly state what you need. They won't not hire because you're asking. What is more important is that you like the schedule and staff, easily worth an extra 5-10k in income in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking if there is some process in place to make sure I can increase my pay over time I'll be ok with the 80k. Otherwise I may see if I can get a little more base pay. As far as I can tell the staff seems great, and the schedule is awesome. I haven't heard of another opportunity where I can be in surgery this much and still only work office hours, no call etc.

What about the +50% of what you make above overhead? Have you attempted to determine those numbers? 

If it were me, I would ask something along the lines of what IronLung experienced in his first year in regards to raises. For example, asking them a clear goal list of what they expect of you in 3 months, 6months, 12 months time. If said expectation is reached, what's in it for me? 

I would feel more comfortable as a new grad going about asking in this manner since I don't have much to offer in regards to previous PA skills to negotiate with.

Keep us posted. And what SE state are you practicing in? 

Hi guys,

I'm  a new grad interviewing for a couple of different jobs. Just got my first offer yesterday, and was wondering what you all think. 

Elective ortho surgery, basically equal time split between office and first assist in surgery. 5 days/wk, no nights, no weekends, no call, no holidays. I live in the southeastern US.

Salary 80k + 50% what I make beyond overhead

$2000 CME/2yrs

Full medical, dental, vision available for $240/mo for me+family.

Malpractice is paid for by the practice but I don't think they have tail coverage.

401k matches up to 4% of yearly salary plus additional contribution based on the practice's profits.

Vested after 90 days.

Looks like about 3 weeks of PTO starting out. 

I think that's all the details I have right now. I did have another ortho surgery job lined up that ended up falling through that was offering me closer to 90k with quick opportunities for increasing that but required buying own insurance. The PAs at that practice were making at least 150k after several years and it seemed very attractive, but the schedule was much more hectic and focused on getting as many patients in and out as possible, and that made me less comfortable.

I'm very happy with the schedule and feel happy and comfortable with the doc and the practice (I shadowed for a day as part of the interview process), but I would like to be making more than 80k...coming out of school that was the low number I set in my mind for what I would accept as a first job. Do any of you have tips about how to ask for more or what the pay increase structure is? I've never negotiated obviously and don't want to screw this up.

Congrats on graduation and on getting a decent offer. You have learned a lot in PA school and you will learn a lot more in practice. Just remember we learn with our eyes, ears, and brain, not our mouth. Common sense goes a long way. Now about your offer. Not a bad offer, but it has some unanswered questions. Some they will answer and some they won't. Some may get answered if you accept and start working there. What a their retention rate? Longevity speaks volumes about a practice as does turnover. Not just among providers, but also the nurses, techs, front office, etc. I can make any place sound good, but people that like their job typically don't leave. How often do you get paid productivity %? Monthly, quarterly, and how is it calculated? Will you have access to those numbers or just have to take their word for it. Keep in mind you will probably cost the practice money for a while until you build a pt population and a regular schedule. Do you get time off for CME in addition to PTO time? CME is a little low. That's only $1,000/yr. I would definitely want tail coverage even if I had to purchase myself. Cheap peace of mind. Again, common sense goes a long way. Listen to that little guy sitting on your shoulder, the one with the halo not the other shoulder, he will usually lead you right. Just a few thoughts to consider. Congrats again and good luck.

• Upvote 2