Hey guys, so it may be a bit premature to think about this. But first: I am currently a PA student, almost done with my didactic year (3 more months to go!). I entered the PA program straight from undergrad, currently 22 yo. The only HCE I had prior to beginning the program was working as a lab assistant for a year while finishing up undergraduate studies. I also had some rotation experience to different labs as a student pursuing medical laboratory technologist degree. And roughly 400 hours of volunteering experience. I am still currently working as a lab assistant in a big metropolitan hospital in hopes that the current connection I have can help me in the future in job prospectives or even the residency their ER offers. I've passed all my classes so far and hope to continue to do so, current grades slightly above 3.5.

Recently, I realized after talking with the faculty that in terms of finding a job or even a residency (which I am currently leaning towards), it would be difficult for someone who has a lack of HCE prior to entering the PA program (I don't really count the lab assistant as good HCE due to lack of patient exposure). I was quite elated and happy that I got accepted with minimal HCE, but now I just realized that it may affect me in the future. Of course I may be a bit pessimistic about all of this, and heck things might change drastically once I enter clinical year.

I just wanted to get some insight from differnent individuals who may have had the same concerns as I did prior to clinicals or graduating. One of the main reasons why I'm leaning towards an ER residency is due to my lack of HCE plus it's a great additional teaching experience for anyone trying to go the ER route. What do you guys think are the chances of actually attaining a residency or even a job?

Job prospects are good -- I had even less HCE and volunteering hours than you did and had a job offer before I even graduated.  Try not to stress :) there are plenty of opportunities.  Fellowships tend to be more competitive and look more closely at your transcripts from school and experience (this is me hearing from friends in residencies), but I don't necessarily think it would preclude you from being invited to interview to see how good of a fit you would be. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your reply! The residencies are definitely one of my top goals of doing after graduating, but most of residency start dates don't align with my graduation date. I'm trying to contact some people from different residencies in hopes they can give me both insight and advice

if you are serious about emergency medicine, a residency would be an excellent idea regardless of your background. there are now 20 and they are all over. see the sticky at the top of the em forum. they pay a living wage and the skills you get will set you up for your entire career.

• Upvote 4

Hey guys, so it may be a bit premature to think about this. But first: I am currently a PA student, almost done with my didactic year (3 more months to go!). I entered the PA program straight from undergrad, currently 22 yo. The only HCE I had prior to beginning the program was working as a lab assistant for a year while finishing up undergraduate studies. I also had some rotation experience to different labs as a student pursuing medical laboratory technologist degree. And roughly 400 hours of volunteering experience. I am still currently working as a lab assistant in a big metropolitan hospital in hopes that the current connection I have can help me in the future in job prospectives or even the residency their ER offers. I've passed all my classes so far and hope to continue to do so, current grades slightly above 3.5.

Recently, I realized after talking with the faculty that in terms of finding a job or even a residency (which I am currently leaning towards), it would be difficult for someone who has a lack of HCE prior to entering the PA program (I don't really count the lab assistant as good HCE due to lack of patient exposure). I was quite elated and happy that I got accepted with minimal HCE, but now I just realized that it may affect me in the future. Of course I may be a bit pessimistic about all of this, and heck things might change drastically once I enter clinical year.

I just wanted to get some insight from differnent individuals who may have had the same concerns as I did prior to clinicals or graduating. One of the main reasons why I'm leaning towards an ER residency is due to my lack of HCE plus it's a great additional teaching experience for anyone trying to go the ER route. What do you guys think are the chances of actually attaining a residency or even a job?[/quote

Def don't stress! If you are going into family practice I wouldn't worry. Anything else I would strongly recommend a residency. This is especially true of ED medicine. So many new grads go in and have no idea what they are doing. We simply are not trained to perform well in a busy ED...it's a steep learning curve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply guys. It is true, I am overthinking it a tad too much. I've been scouring the site for a year past now and I've seen possibly all the EM residency posts, including your sticky EMEDPA. It's definitely a field I want to dive in. But, as others noted multiple times, it's not an easy one to just dive fresh from graduating. In fact, it is rare to see an ER in this neck of the woods giving job opportunities to a fresh graduate. In any case, thanks for clarifying the matter guys. I'll keep lurking around here even after I graduate.

If your HCE is lacking, pay attention to the job offers you may get from rotations.  If they give you a job offer, your resume doesn't matter to them since they've seen you work.  In other contexts, your prior HCE may matter a LOT more.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ChowdaHead
      https://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/actspar

Wondering if anyone has any experience/information/thoughts UCSF Fresno, specifically this ACS/Trauma Surgery Residency. Considering relocating for the opportunity. New grad, I liked what I saw during the visit. Not looking for some one to make a decision for me, but any information would be great. 
      Thanks
    • By classic24
      Can anyone tell me hourly rates for ER locums work, particularly for an experienced PA?  I have been ER PA for 21 years, negotiating locums 1099 agreement.  Current W2 rate is $80/hr
      Thx in advance for your reply 
    • By CPourtney
      Hello all!
      I'm selling my hard copy of Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking (11th edition) for $30 or Best offer. Cover has some indentations/scratches and some pages are dog eared, occasionally highlighting throughout but no other alterations.
      ISBN-10: 1609137620, ISBN-13: 2901609137624, Pub. Date: 11/15/2012, Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
      Also selling the review book A Comprehensive Review for the Certification and Recertification Examinations for Physician Assistants by Claire Babcock O'Connell, PA-C (5th edition) for $15 or best offer. There is some underlining in this book and the cover has a dog-ear, otherwise in good shape.  ISBN13: 9781451191097
    • By viveksivaraman
      Hey PA Forum, I am Pre-PA, please don't kick me out, as I wanted to know from PAs what they think about the field, and where my feelings in the application process stand. I went through my undergrad with not much of a direction, graduating with a BS in Biochemistry but a 2.86 GPA. I worked for 2 years as a "scientist" but I was really just running samples through a machine (medical device) and it did not allow any sort of interesting work. I worked as part of the lab at the Boston Marathon, analyzing runner blood samples in the device, and it was the first time I was exposed to the medical field. This allowed me to appreciate their work, and also, for the first time, feel I could make a difference with my efforts. I capitalized on this excitement, and looked into nursing and PA, and decided PA. I got an EMT certification, and gave CPR to a patient in a trauma room at the nearby hospital as part of the certification. I was so excited, and then I got a job as a CNA in a teaching hospital on a heart failure floor. Everything was coming along. I was also taking pre-reqs this whole time, I completed A&P I,II, Genetics, Biochemistry, all either A or B+. As I worked at the hospital, I mainly bathed patients, and provided care in daily living, working under nurses. But the attitude of the nurses really got to me. Some would bully the technicians in a way, it was never intentional but I could not stand them. All the technicians and nurses were gossipy women and I, more of an introverted male, just felt nothing in common with them, and everything I did was judged. Nurses, and techs and female patients would occasionally hit on me, and it just felt uncomfortable. It became so frustrating for me that these shifts became almost me vs them, in my head. But I kept pushing on, I kept searching for jobs in the ER, because that seemed so exciting to me. I shadowed a resident in the ER, and loved every minute of it. I really enjoyed it because it was exciting; very different than anything I had seen; the machinery of the body was in a life threatening situation, and it was very rewarding to fix it. I also really loved all things space, and always was researching things about space. However I wasn't able to get a position in the ER, and I just felt like the oddball out all the time; and the feminine and social aspect of medicine was driving me nuts. I felt like everywhere in healthcare was this; and had this veneer or being the savior for patients, I just felt I was beating up the wrong tree for my own goals. I shadowed 5 PAs, and enjoyed the ER experience the most. I decided I wanted to try something in engineering due to my love of space. So after 9 months of being a tech, I moved to Houston, with my sister (couldn't go home, father is an alcoholic and made life at home toxic). I decided to try everything I enjoyed to figure out if this field was for me. I started taking engineering classes, a geology class, and started to learn programming, and am volunteering in a lab where I help a professor research bacteria on the Space Station. I have been stressed out, figuring out if this career is for me. I went to healthcare career fair, and interviewed for an ER Tech job, to try it out again, and am hoping it is less daunting on me. I also am thinking about pursuing biomedical engineering, as it may combine my interests, but I am nervous, because it seems a bit antisocial. I was wondering if I could get some advice about my situation, and if I have it all wrong about actually being a PA. Thanks!
    • By UpperLeftPAC
      Well, I've decided for certain that I am going to do an EM residency. My fiance and I have discussed this at length and he's fully in support, but with a caveat that he needs to be making more money to make up for my temporarily lost income first. Also, we are getting married in September of this year so we need to get that done first! He's an airline pilot and will be experiencing very sizable raises as he gains seniority in the upcoming months/years so I'm not worried that he won't be able to make up for my income, and I suspect that I would be able to start sometime around summer/fall of 2020 or maybe early 2021.
      That said, I'd like to make my application as competitive as possible. I have the impression that there is less competition for most residences than there is for PA school, but I am sure that will continue to change with time. I would hate to be building up to this plan and find myself behind the curve. I'm looking for input from anyone who has done any residency, and specifically EM of course. I work as a hospitalist currently, trying to pick up some UC or family medicine per diem work. What can I do to bolster an application? I am hoping to hit up the SEMPA EM bootcamp this summer and also plan to attend their conference next year. I don't know the likelihood that I'll be able to find EM work as someone who works full time in another specialty and has no EM experience outside of rotations in school, but if I have an opportunity I'll take it. Otherwise, just looking for ideas... 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More