paramedic school first or should I hold off?

I'm trying to make my plan of attack for PA. So I will be an EMT by the end of this semester, I thoroughly enjoy EMS so I was going to go to paramedic school next fall. I figured I'd get the associates, and work for a busy 911 service for 5 years, maybe more. I find the work interesting and there are several high call volume/borderline third world country urban jurisdictions nearby where the medics just get slammed. Large indignant population with no insurance (ie some really sick folks), MVAs from the interstate, and a never ending drug war that results in plenty of stabbings and GSWs, I think itd be a great learning experience.

I figured I'd do that, get a distance learning degree from university of maryland university college, and then after that knock out the prereqs at a CC right before applying so theyre recent. The reason why I want to do a distance learning degree is because money is an issue and I want to pay for my tuition in cash. I figure if I work fulltime as a medic I can pay for school with no loans and get good experience simultaneously.

The only issue is my mom (a doc) says I should hold off on medic school and try to go to UMBC's emergency health service program. It's a bachelor degree for paramedics at a traditional brick and mortar school and pretty reputable. She thinks I'd have a better chance at getting into PA school with this as my bachelors. The program sounds great but I'm essentially starting from scratch so it would take my four years to complete and I'd be making peanuts the whole time (i.e. having to take out loans) to come out no better a medic than the community college progams. I'm 23 and I want to get into the work force. My GPA so far is solid but I have a lot of W's, probably like 12 from when I first tried going to college. I'm not going to make excuses for myself, I was just an idiot and didnt have my priorities in order. Id sign up for a full load, screw around, then freak out after midterms then drop all the courses.

I'm confident I can finish with a 3.5 still and show an upward trend. But I have to be pragmatic and have accepted those W's could keep me out of PA school. So if I go the brick and mortar route and have to stay a medic Id do so with considerably more debt than had I gone to a CC. My mom is a doc and knows nothing of PA admissions, so Im not sure if her advice is sound on this.

So do you folks thank I'd be fine with getting a paramedic AAS, online bachelors, then finishing my prereqs once Ive had my fun in the streets? Or should I bite the bullet and go for the substantially more expensive but perhaps more prestigious degree?

Thanks

I feel it is reasonable to consider the cost associated with the BA program and perhaps figure out how you can reduce it.  Does it accept transfers?  You could pound out two years of credits at a CC and transfer into the BA, perhaps working part time.  I feel undergrad education doesn't make sense anymore if you are going to be hobbled with debt for years and years.  Prestige may or may not mean a darn thing, either.

no one really cares where you get your BS from.

people on this board are always hoping that a lower GPA from a big school will be ofset because of the name. it isn't.

3.5 gpa from U. Of KY + 1 yr as a paramedic > 3.1 from Harvard + 1 yr as a paramedic. I don't think most adcom folks even notice where the BS degree is from. I did file review for a few years. less than 5 min/file. GPA + HCE + required prereqs + read the statement. yes or no to interview. next. when you have > 1000 apps for 40 seats that is what happens.

From a purely EMS perspective, will you be able to work as an EMT while you're in paramedic school?  If not, you might want to work as an EMT for a bit before you jump into medic school, the learning curve in the field can be very steep as a brand new paramedic with no field experience.  You could always change up the order a bit, take gen ed classes while you're working as an EMT, then go through the paramedic program. So 1 year gen ed classes, 1 year paramedic school, then the next couple years finishing your bachelors while working as a paramedic part time.   *(Trying not to derail this with the debate of going straight from EMT to paramedic...)

Thanks for the responses. @fakingpatience the work for EMTs in my state is either fire departments which is ultra competitive (which I am not) or interfacility which pays $11 an hour which doesnt cut it for my finances. But all the fire depts are hurting bad for medics and the pay is decent. This summer Im taking a class that is all shifts with the baltimore city fire dept, and Ill be volunteering at a very busy dept. So I wont be a seasoned EMT but I could probably get a couple hundred calls before medic school if I play my cards right.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what it takes to become a 911 medic where you're from, but it is worthwhile.  Plus, if I don't get into PA school, I have a job that pays decent and one that I feel is worth my time.  I'm 5 years in and about to apply to PA school so it looks like you'll be on the path that I have followed.  I'll post whether or not I get in.

"So do you folks thank I'd be fine with getting a paramedic AAS, online bachelors, then finishing my prereqs once Ive had my fun in the streets?"

I like this option^^^

ItRainsItPours,

I went a very similar route to the one you are currently considering. I was actually accepted to UMBC's program but ended up opting out for a similar one a little closer to home.  Regardless, my degree is a BS in EMS/management, and that BS is all that really matters.  For me, I always saw the degree as a win/win.  Even if my graduate school aspirations didn't pan out, I would still have my paramedic license (part of the degree program) and a good foundation in EMS management/system design/and various other certifications that would open several doors.  In fact, I credit my degree and all the certs it provided as my saving grace during the PA school application process.  I did terrible my freshman year of college (different school), but once CASPA calculated all my EMS related classes, ride time, instructor cards, etc, it really boosted my science/cumulative GPA.  So perhaps I am a little biased, but I'm a huge advocate of this route.  It is my belief that this, coupled with the experience I had working as an EMT/Medic during and after school (worked part time all through college), was what led to my acceptance to a few schools this cycle.  

If you have any other questions either shoot me a message or post a reply on here.  Best of luck with everything.  I think no matter what you decide, you're headed in the right direction.  Just remember what the end goal is, and what it is not.  

Archived